The Student Room Group

Should I start practicing GCSE work in year 9

I know that some of you will say that revising in year 9 is way too early however the new GCSE system is extremely different and a 9 is and A**. It's said that only 2 people in the country will get all 9's as it is an extremely hard grade to achieve and even teachers at my school said you need to be above perfection to get this.My point is that most of the sixth forms and universities that I want to go to now require you to get 9's in everything so should I revise in prior to this?
Original post by HEYA_^
I know that some of you will say that revising in year 9 is way too early however the new GCSE system is extremely different and a 9 is and A**. It's said that only 2 people in the country will get all 9's as it is an extremely hard grade to achieve and even teachers at my school said you need to be above perfection to get this.My point is that most of the sixth forms and universities that I want to go to now require you to get 9's in everything so should I revise in prior to this?

I would revise each topic in every subject (in detail) as you finish it in class and then after you have done a decent amount in the subject e.g. everything that would be covered in one paper or section for English Literature then look online for the sample assessment materials from the exam board website. With maths I would keep doing lots of past papers- maybe 1-2 papers every fortnight and more when practicing for mocks
Original post by HEYA_^
I It's said that only 2 people in the country will get all 9's as it is an extremely hard grade to achieve and even teachers at my school said you need to be above perfection to get this.

That is just BS. I got a 9 in maths last summer and i'm a bit of a spack. I also know many people who got 9's in both English's and maths. The teachers in your school are lying, don't worry about revising until year 11 is well under way.
no, and a grade 9 is not hard to achieve relatively speaking. It's not some kind of ridiculous challenge, it's not difficult at all when you think about it.
Reply 4
What you essentially have to think about is what you value more. If you are a wholly academic person that enjoys doing work or revising then go for it! No one will stop you and you're only going to do better for it but there is a very real chance that you'll just burn out before the exams and it might make things worse? If I were you, I'd just keep up with your work, do some reading around and leave the revising till next year!
I mean I don't particularly think that revising from Year 9 is too early. I mean I'm in Year 9 as well and I do revise ahead sometimes and I guess it is somewhat good. The pros of practising now is that you're going to know everything you need for GCSE before everyone else and potentially have more time to practise on it. The cons of it however are that you might be so early ahead that you might not feel the need to listen in classes. To be honest if you want to 'practise GCSEs' then either invest in some good textbooks or look at the syllabus of your subject on the website of your exam board and research online. I know that investing in the new textbooks that I have now have helped me a lot. I will usually read through a topic in a unit (or the entire unit if there's not a lot), then watch videos about it, then make notes and read them and then have print out practise papers on it once I feel comfortable.

Also, it's 2% of the people who have taken their GCSEs who have achieved a Grade 9, not 2 people.

(Sorry if this was really long and didn't help)
Revision now would definitely help, but even if you wait until year 11, there will be plenty of time.
You get people who genuinely start revising a month before and get all As and A*s. I didn't take mine seriously , which I regret and got a couple A*s and the rest As with 2 weeks revision. Start revising 5 months before at the earliest, but for now pay attention in class and just review your notes every night.
Trust me, schools make out gsces to be harder than they actually are. Remember that everyone in the country has to do these exams so they can’t be too difficult as everyone needs an equal chances I revised literally a month before my exams and got all A’s and A*’s and one B. If I were you, I would realistically start revising from the xmas before your exams
1. It's like 6% or something, not 2 people
2. Nowhere needs a grade 9 to get in
Original post by behindthelense
I mean I don't particularly think that revising from Year 9 is too early. I mean I'm in Year 9 as well and I do revise ahead sometimes and I guess it is somewhat good. The pros of practising now is that you're going to know everything you need for GCSE before everyone else and potentially have more time to practise on it. The cons of it however are that you might be so early ahead that you might not feel the need to listen in classes. To be honest if you want to 'practise GCSEs' then either invest in some good textbooks or look at the syllabus of your subject on the website of your exam board and research online. I know that investing in the new textbooks that I have now have helped me a lot. I will usually read through a topic in a unit (or the entire unit if there's not a lot), then watch videos about it, then make notes and read them and then have print out practise papers on it once I feel comfortable.

Also, it's 2% of the people who have taken their GCSEs who have achieved a Grade 9, not 2 people.

Original post by Bill Nye
1. It's like 6% or something, not 2 people
2. Nowhere needs a grade 9 to get in
3. If you're gonna troll make it funny -.-

they meant a grade 9 in all of their subjects. (8-11 9s ish)

If you consider how many got 3 9s (a few thousand iirc?), then it doesn't seem unrealistic to predict a low number of students achieving all 9s.

2 people however is absurd.
If you're struggling with any core subject (maths, english, science) then WORK ON THEM. I was absolutely horrendous at English and I wish I had worked when I was in year 9, i think it would have helped me
No university nor sixth form requires all 9s lol..

Lol, I swear if you go to sutton Girls...
Original post by zakimalik09
Lol, I swear if you go to sutton Girls...

What?
What?

nvm, inside joke :h: I just thought you were someone else :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest