The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Worried about St Andrews

Basically I'm applying for English and French and St Andrews is my top choice. The entry requirements were AAAB and I got AAAAC (for highers) and I also got school dux. I have AAAAAB at national five and a UKCC Level 1 in netball coaching.

I've been reading online and lots of people have said they got really good grades but St Andrews rejected them and I'm now getting really worried. Do I have a chance of getting in? I've already had unconditionals from Stirling, Dundee and Strathclyde and Strathclyde had the higher entry requirement of AAAA.
Original post by alexandra1999
Basically I'm applying for English and French and St Andrews is my top choice. The entry requirements were AAAB and I got AAAAC (for highers) and I also got school dux. I have AAAAAB at national five and a UKCC Level 1 in netball coaching.

I've been reading online and lots of people have said they got really good grades but St Andrews rejected them and I'm now getting really worried. Do I have a chance of getting in? I've already had unconditionals from Stirling, Dundee and Strathclyde and Strathclyde had the higher entry requirement of AAAA.
Any serious application will be taken as that, seriously. Try not to worry, it's a waiting game and it's a pain, but you'll know for definite soon. And your grades won't be the only thing they'll take into consideration. Take the unconditionals as a good sign and hang on in there.:wink:

Good luck. :thumbsup:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2

tbh, one of the only reasons I can think of you not getting in is because of the capped places for EU/Home fees.
The longer they take, the better...it means you may be on the fence, a quick decision usually means you've been either quickly accepted or rejected. When i got my offer from Nottingham last year, they took the entire 3 months of time on UCAS alotted until they offered me a place. Obviously not St. Andrews, but since i applied from a foundation course with predicted ABB *required AAB* and 3 of my mates with higher predicted grades had been rejected and i didnt get into Leicester LOL. The longer can actually be a good sign.
Reply 4
St Andrews is one of the few Scottish Unis which don't even look at your application until after the 15th of January. I had 3 unconditionals (Dundee, Aberdeen, Glasgow - I think) before xmas when I applied for English and History, while St Andrews took till mid-late February and Edinburgh till the beginning of March to respond.

With regards to you getting in, the Netball and the Nat 5s probably won't count for much of anything. I don't think getting in with 4As and a C at higher is impossible, I know two people that got offers with 4As and a B (for IR and German, and Medicine.) They place a huge amount of worth on the Personal Statement, unlike the unis that reply pre-cutoff date who just see so many As and hit accept lol.

What are your AH subjects/ what are you predicted?
Original post by JM_1998
St Andrews is one of the few Scottish Unis which don't even look at your application until after the 15th of January. I had 3 unconditionals (Dundee, Aberdeen, Glasgow - I think) before xmas when I applied for English and History, while St Andrews took till mid-late February and Edinburgh till the beginning of March to respond.

With regards to you getting in, the Netball and the Nat 5s probably won't count for much of anything. I don't think getting in with 4As and a C at higher is impossible, I know two people that got offers with 4As and a B (for IR and German, and Medicine.) They place a huge amount of worth on the Personal Statement, unlike the unis that reply pre-cutoff date who just see so many As and hit accept lol.

What are your AH subjects/ what are you predicted?

I'm doing three advanced highers this year in English, French and History and I'm predicted to get AAB.
Reply 6
I'm doing three advanced highers this year in English, French and History and I'm predicted to get AAB.

that bodes excellently!

I got in w/ my AHs being English, History and Bio ( :lol: ) - i was predicted AAA but after I got in I e-mailed them and they told me I could drop Bio if I wanted to so they weren't even fussed w/ me doing 3 AHs. ((eventually I did have to do Bio because my school made me and I ended up w/ my only B)) :rip:

So long as ur PS is good I wouldn't bother stressing about it, especially because - as I've mentioned above - they really like to take their time making decisions on Home/EU students (and joint admissions require approval from both departments, so that increases the time as well).
Original post by JM_1998
that bodes excellently!

I got in w/ my AHs being English, History and Bio ( :lol: ) - i was predicted AAA but after I got in I e-mailed them and they told me I could drop Bio if I wanted to so they weren't even fussed w/ me doing 3 AHs. ((eventually I did have to do Bio because my school made me and I ended up w/ my only B)) :rip:

So long as ur PS is good I wouldn't bother stressing about it, especially because - as I've mentioned above - they really like to take their time making decisions on Home/EU students (and joint admissions require approval from both departments, so that increases the time as well).

Ah ok thank you! That's really helped 😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending