The Student Room Group

Law Course Question - English Legal System (Lawyers & Barristers)

Hi,

I am doing an Access to HE course and am having a bit of a problem trying to understand one of the two questions I was given.

Here it is: "Explain the difference in education and training requirements of a solicitor and barrister; discuss the respective importance of these two roles within the English legal system. Demonstrate an example the type of work undertaken by a solicitor and a barrister."

As you can see from my underlining, the problem is two-fold. First, by importance do they mean how vital they are to the legal system with pro-bono work and that kind of shizz? Cos, barristers are clearly superior in the hierarchy, or is there another interpretation I am missing?

Also, the last bit, eh? Do they actually want me to run through the process of writing a will, as an example, and then do another for a barrister?

Suggestions for an overlapping type of work will be gratefully accepted and thank you for your time. :smile:
Reply 1
I think you basically explain what their main jobs are in the English Legal System and why their jobs are important etc.

I think for the last part you underlined I think you just need to describe what they do on a day to day basis? Or what The would generally do?

Good luck
Access is hit-and-miss because the assignments are set by the, often distracted and unmotivated, tutors. It is sometimes not clear what they want you to do. You can always ask them. Though, if it's level 2 or a low-credit assignment or a small word count, you know what you've been asked to do will be superficial and you shouldn't overthink.

A brief point: solicitors and barristers are complementary and often overlapping roles. It is not true one is superior to the other, logically primary or "most important". While the barrister might substantively develop the law in the appellate courts, solicitors establish how the law works in practice by giving advice and drafting legal documents. Who is more important: the solicitor who finds and exploits a loophole for his clients or the barrister who establishes the legality of that loophole, using the legal reasoning presented by the solicitor in their brief, in the appellate courts?

I met the PhD who wrote the Brexit brief for Lord Pannick who was most chagrined that Pannick got all the credit though the majority of the legal argument was found and developed by him and other people from the firm.
Reply 3
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Access is hit-and-miss because the assignments are set by the, often distracted and unmotivated, tutors. It is sometimes not clear what they want you to do. You can always ask them. Though, if it's level 2 or a low-credit assignment or a small word count, you know what you've been asked to do will be superficial and you shouldn't overthink.

Thanks, it's a Level 3 Unit 2, not Level 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending