The Student Room Group

Wishing on an A* [GCSE, GYG]

I greet you with a warm welcome to my GCSE Grow Your Grades blog. I understand I'm late by around 4 months.
That's because I'm new to TSR :biggrin:.
This seemed like an interesting idea, so I decided to take part.

Contrary to what the title suggests, I'm wishing on multiple A*'s or 8's as the new grading system says.

Preferably, five 8's.

I feel doubtful of my ambitions, but I truly do hope to reach my goals.

Brief (Kind of Not Brief) Information About Me :

Spoiler

Literally Just 3 Words About Me At Least Don't Skip This :

Spoiler

Below are my predicted, mock, desired and (gasp) actual grades. A few will remain empty until the time comes.

What I Realistically Predict Of Myself At This Moment In Time :

Spoiler

Predicted Grades :

Spoiler

January Mock Results (To Be Filled) :

Spoiler

March Mock Results (To Be Filled) :

Spoiler

MY SEVERLY INFLATED OPTIMISITIC GOALS THAT I'LL ALWAYS HOPE FOR :

Spoiler

ACTUAL RESULTS (To Be Filled)

Spoiler

Note: You may notice that, sometimes, the dates I publish the blogs are different from the dates I write above the entry. This is because I usually write my blogs into the notepad in my mobile before tranferring them onto TSR using a computer. Please ignore the published dates because that might make it a bit confusing. I hope you enjoy reading my blog :smile:.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Im in year 11 too hoping to get 7-9s in everything..good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by Ellasimpson_
Im in year 11 too hoping to get 7-9s in everything..good luck!!

thanks
as i said, i'm new and had no idea how to edit this so i accidentally posted 4 of these
i just wanted to edit it ugh i don't know whether to laugh or cry
Original post by user202
thanks
as i said, i'm new and had no idea how to edit this so i accidentally posted 4 of these
i just wanted to edit it ugh i don't know whether to laugh or cry

Oh no😩 don’t worry! Lol it’s quite confusing at first
Original post by user202
I greet you with a warm welcome to my GCSE Grow Your Grades blog. I understand I'm late by around 4 months.

Contrary to what the title suggests, I'm wishing on multiple A*'s or 8's as the new grading system says.

Preferably, five 8's.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Below are my predicted, mock, desired and (gasp) actual grades. A few will remain empty until the time comes.

Spoiler

Predicted Grades :English Literature: 7

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Note: You may notice that, sometimes, the dates I publish the blogs are different from the dates I write above the entry. This is because I usually write my blogs into the notepad in my mobile before tranferring them onto TSR using a computer. Please ignore the published dates because that might make it a bit confusing. I hope you enjoy reading my blog :smile:.

Mashallah, your predicted grades are high and I am lovingg the start to your GYG.:h: Inshallah you get the grades that you aspire for and may Allah may it easy for you. xx

P.S Keep posting regularly. This thread is one to watch :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Ellasimpson_
Oh no😩 don’t worry! Lol it’s quite confusing at first

tell me about it haha
Reply 6
Original post by Lilsthebest
Mashallah, your predicted grades are high and I am lovingg the start to your GYG.:h: Inshallah you get the grades that you aspire for and may Allah may it easy for you. xx

P.S Keep posting regularly. This thread is one to watch :wink:

thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Saturday 29th December 2017

Around the time I'm writing this it is the school holidays. After weeks of exams after exams, I've finally gotten some time to breathe. The pressure of knowing I was going to have a physics exam made me revise a lot for it. Our science mocks were the complete simulation of the actual exams meaning, despite not having covered 3/4 of the topics in physics paper two (as we were going to begin studying the topics after the mocks), we were still going to be tested on them. Knowing physics wasn't my forte, I glossed over as much of the topics as I could. Within a span of 2-3 weeks, I'd finished revising the entire of physics paper two and was awarded bags under my eyes. I'm glad that I've finished writing up my notes because that means I can dedicate more of my time on other subjects. I must say, I enjoyed the topics in physics paper two a whole load more than the topics in physics paper one. The main attraction was space :biggrin:.

The exams were incredibly stressful and I'm hoping that I revise (STARTING NOW) for March mock exams so that I'm more confident. I feel like I didn't do too well in January mocks. I finished revising organic chemistry during the summer holidays (before year 11 began), and so I felt as if I didn't really need to revise the subject much. I didn't do too well on the quantitative chemistry section, which pretty much made up 1/2 of the test (or at least, it felt that way). Needless to say, I'm predicting I didn't get very high on chemistry.

What I believe I've achieved for January mocks

Spoiler

Revising for my subjects was incredibly hectic. For a few exams, I made sure to revise two days ahead. For others, I revised a night before. I didn't get to look over topics in depth to secure a great grade, which has taught me that I should probably start revising for exams at least a month or two before to make sure I understand the topic through and through.

My revision schedule usually consists of subjects that I'm prioritising at the moment and it changes when I've finished revising for that subject and could replace it with another. The amount of time I spend on each topic is calculated by... well... I don't really calculate them. I just pick a time that I think is suitable and make sure I stick to it. At 7pm from Monday to Friday I take a break no matter the topic so that I can eat whilst watching Hollyoaks :biggrin:.

My revision schedule that I've been using from 13th of December - 29th of December

Spoiler

NEW revision schedule that I'm currently using, 29th of December - 3rd of January

Spoiler

I'll be back when I get my January mock results :biggrin:.

(1) A quick summary of what this entry was about:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Hi! Good luck with your GYG! I did Sociology and Computer Science GCSEs last year. What exam boards are you doing? I can give you some tips if you want:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Anna1029
Hi! Good luck with your GYG! I did Sociology and Computer Science GCSEs last year. What exam boards are you doing? I can give you some tips if you want:smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
I'm doing AQA Sociology and OCR Computer Science
There are practice papers for Computer Science 9-1,right? I heard that there aren't many, but there's got to be some or else I'll spontaneously combust out of dread.
Are there any revision tips you've got for Sociology or Computer Science for me? I'd appreciate them :biggrin:.
In regard to computer science, I know cgp do an exam questions workbook and I'm pretty sure they also do some actual practice papers so they might be beneficial :smile:
Original post by user202

Preferably, five 8's.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Predicted Grades :

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Best of luck! You'll soon get the hang of TSR but if you struggle with anything, just let me know and I'll try and point you in the right direction :smile:

I look forward to your updates :h:
Reply 12
Original post by rubyft123
In regard to computer science, I know cgp do an exam questions workbook and I'm pretty sure they also do some actual practice papers so they might be beneficial :smile:

Original post by brainzistheword
Best of luck! You'll soon get the hang of TSR but if you struggle with anything, just let me know and I'll try and point you in the right direction :smile:

I look forward to your updates :h:

I've downloaded the app so now it's a lot easier to edit my posts
This'll be my journey on TSR as well as my GCSEs haha

And thank you for the information rubyft123 :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by user202
I'm doing AQA Sociology and OCR Computer Science
There are practice papers for Computer Science 9-1,right? I heard that there aren't many, but there's got to be some or else I'll spontaneously combust out of dread.
Are there any revision tips you've got for Sociology or Computer Science for me? I'd appreciate them :biggrin:.

I did AQA Sociology, but Edexcel Computing.

As for past papers, do the ones from the old specification as I doubt they would be much different - the layout may be different and some of the content, but overall it should be similar :yep:

For sociology, I think you may be doing a new specification which has a different layout for past papers, but the 12 markers are the same, so I can give you some tips on that :closedeyes:

Sociology 12 markers

Structure

1. Intro:

Define any key terms in the question

Introduce your key points

If you can, use any statistics from the source

Example:
Question - To what extent is there no typical family in the UK?
Intro - A typical family is also referred to as a nuclear family, which consists of two parents with their dependent children. Due to several factors such as divorce and changes in attitudes, other family types such as single parents and homosexual couples have increased in popularity [maybe some statistics?], meaning the traditional nuclear family may not be the typical family in the UK.

2. Paragraph FOR:

Identify your point

Explain

Provide evidence for this by using a study/ statistics from the source/ your own knowledge

Concluding sentence - Link back to question

Example:
Some sociologists may argue that there is a typical family in the UK: the nuclear family. This means that the roles of both parents are segregated, whereby the woman acts as the homemaker: caring for children and the house, and the man acts as the breadwinner: going out to work and earning the money. Ann Oakley's research showed that women performed 72 hours of housework on average. This shows that women are still largely performing the role of the homemaker, suggesting that the nuclear family still exists. This means that there is a typical family in the UK.

3. Paragraphs AGAINST (x3):

Identify your point

Explain

Provide evidence for this by using a study/ statistics from the source/ your own knowledge

Example:
On the other hand, divorce rate has increased in the past 50 years. In 2015, 2 out of 5 marriages ended in divorce. This has caused an increase in lone parent households, which consist of a parent, typically women, and their dependent children. Furthermore, this increase in divorce rate, has caused reconstituted families to rise, as more people remarry. [Statistic?] Therefore, there is no typical family in the UK.

4. Conclusion:

Use personal opinion

Decide whether to go FOR or AGAINST - don't sit on the fence

Justify

In conclusion, I believe that there is no longer a typical family in the UK due to the emergence of other family types such as lone parent families and homosexual couples, however, the nuclear family still remains the most common family type in the UK.

For computing, I found a guy on Youtube who made really useful videos, however it was for Edexcel... but I'm sure there are some videos for OCR too:grin:

Hope this helped :blush:
Reply 14
Original post by Anna1029
I did AQA Sociology, but Edexcel Computing.

As for past papers, do the ones from the old specification as I doubt they would be much different - the layout may be different and some of the content, but overall it should be similar :yep:

For sociology, I think you may be doing a new specification which has a different layout for past papers, but the 12 markers are the same, so I can give you some tips on that :closedeyes:

Sociology 12 markers

Structure

1. Intro:

Define any key terms in the question

Introduce your key points

If you can, use any statistics from the source

Example:
Question - To what extent is there no typical family in the UK?
Intro - A typical family is also referred to as a nuclear family, which consists of two parents with their dependent children. Due to several factors such as divorce and changes in attitudes, other family types such as single parents and homosexual couples have increased in popularity [maybe some statistics?], meaning the traditional nuclear family may not be the typical family in the UK.

2. Paragraph FOR:

Identify your point

Explain

Example:
Some sociologists may argue that there is a typical family in the UK: the nuclear family. This means that the roles of both parents are segregated, whereby the woman acts as the homemaker: caring for children and the house, and the man acts as the breadwinner: going out to work and earning the money. Ann Oakley's research showed that women performed 72 hours of housework on average. This shows that women are still largely performing the role of the homemaker, suggesting that the nuclear family still exists. This means that there is a typical family in the UK.

3. Paragraphs AGAINST (x3):

Identify your point

Explain

Example:
On the other hand, divorce rate has increased in the past 50 years. In 2015, 2 out of 5 marriages ended in divorce. This has caused an increase in lone parent households, which consist of a parent, typically women, and their dependent children. Furthermore, this increase in divorce rate, has caused reconstituted families to rise, as more people remarry. [Statistic?] Therefore, there is no typical family in the UK.

4. Conclusion:

Use personal opinion

Decide whether to go FOR or AGAINST - don't sit on the fence

Justify

In conclusion, I believe that there is no longer a typical family in the UK due to the emergence of other family types such as lone parent families and homosexual couples, however, the nuclear family still remains the most common family type in the UK.

For computing, I found a guy on Youtube who made really useful videos, however it was for Edexcel... but I'm sure there are some videos for OCR too:grin:

Hope this helped :blush:

Thank you very much! :biggrin:
I'm thankful enough to be doing the old specifications
I feel sorry for year 10s
They have to learn more about specific sociologists
Do you remember the guys name?

Also is this showing up quoted or is it just me
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by user202
Thank you very much! :biggrin:
I'm thankful enough to be doing the old specifications
I feel sorry for year 10s
They have to learn more about specific sociologists
Do you remember the guys name?

Also is this showing up quoted or is it just me

Ah ok
The name was Computer Science Tutor
Yep, it's showing up quoted :yep:
Reply 16
Saturday 14th January 2018

Holidays have been over for quite a while.

Finishing my computer science notes before school began was a must. I have to set myself deadlines because if I don't, I'll probably end up procrastinating.

This is what my completed flashcards for computer science look like:

Attachment not found

I'm probably going to move onto revising quantitative chemistry since, despite completely understanding it in class, the knowledge seemed to have evaporated some place else. Computer science isn't going to be put at rest just yet, though. I still need to do past papers on the subject because I'm not as aware of the exam structure to the extent I'd like to be. Speaking of exams, I've gotten the results of the ones in January back.

I have captured the glory and doom below.

What I Predicted For My January Mock Results VS Predicted Grades VS My Actual January Mock Results

Spoiler

My predicted grades have changed as well.

NEW Predicted Grades

Spoiler

REFLECTION TIME

English

Spoiler

Maths

Spoiler

Science

Spoiler

RE

Spoiler

Options (Child Development, Computer Science, Sociology)

Spoiler

All in all, I'm content with my mock results. However, I'd really like to see my RE, Chemistry and Physics paper because I'd like to see what I did right or wrong.

Mock exams aside, I had an entrance exam today. I missed out 4 questions in the first non-verbal reasoning section because I lacked time-management. When we first began the test, everyone had turned their page softly. I think after realising how little time we actually had to answer the questions, we became more eager to answer as many as we could. The second time we were told to continue the test, people were turning their pages a lot more aggressively.

I think missing those 4 questions will be detrimental on my result. I'm not expecting an offer into the school. If I do get one, saying I would be surprised wouldn't suffice. I'll update on this matter when I get the letter telling me whether I've gotten in or not.

Inshallah I did well on that exam.

ONE MORE THING

I was sent to practice the art of being an eloquent interviewee (is that the correct word?) in a workplace. They gave me positive feedback on how I present myself, but I think one thing both my interviewer and I could agree on was the fact that I didn't talk very much. I only spoke when I was asked questions, which is the entire point of an interview, but speaking more would've made me seem a little more confident. I was offered a work experience opportunity which I'm pretty happy about alhamdulilah :biggrin:. I'm thinking about taking it up.

(2) A quick summary on what this entry was about:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Mashallah brother or sister if you are a girl!
Reply 18
Original post by The RAR
Mashallah brother or sister if you are a girl!

Thank you! :biggrin:
I took my GCSE’s last year and achieved 7 A*s, two 7’s and a 6 in maths (my weakest subject).

My main advice, although I appreciate this is hard with the new spec, is to go over as many past papers as you can find. I literally just memorised the mark-schemes of previous exams all the way back to 2011 and I got my grades up from B’s to A*s in all subjects except maths and English. I honestly didn’t do any revision for maths because I’m stubborn and hated it so I’ll have to live with that one grade B...

On top of this, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW EVERYTHING! Don’t skip over any content because it’s unlikely to come up or it’s ‘too hard to learn’, I can bet it will come up as a 6 marker just to spite you.
Watch YouTube videos, memorise revision guides and make sure you know what questions the examiners like to repeat year on year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending