The Student Room Group

how to get a 9 in geography?

I recently received my November mock results back and I'm honestly quite upset about my grades in certain subjects. One of these is gepgraphy which i received a grade 5- in which is now my working at grade (I'm predicted a 7 at GCSE but I hope I manage to achieve this). Whenever we review geography tests I always see where I could have improved but when I'm actually doing it it isn't apparent to me as I feel that I have put enough detail. Do you guys know any really good geography revision sites or videos or anywhere where I could get some really good geography material? I revise so hard for geography but never seem to ever put enough detail in my answers even though it looks like I have written loads. also in this test I ended up missing two 8-markers due to no time so how can I work on time management? my time management for most subjects is very bad (I missed out two 12 markers in my RE exam and I had to rush through a 12 and 16 marker in my history exam so they were very poor quality)
**btw I am currently in year 11, thanks in advance :biggrin:
i got a level 9 in geography mock in nov
i’ve got a few tops if you need??
Reply 2
Original post by daliciagracem

yess! i need all the help i can get
i suggest you make silly sentences to remover case studies and their facts

e.g.
HEDAZ to remember the zambia case study
H hydroelectric power
E expenses( it cost £500,000 to relocate people)
D dam (kariba dam)
A animals ( land used by dam=less land for animal farming)
Z zambia (an lidc)

also use the website Kerboodle ( you have to buy it but it’s amazing) also watch lots of documentaries on youtube. type in ur case study and watch all you can. it’s interesting and doesn’t feel like you’re learning but you are. whenever a question asks about the Effect something has, remember to comment on the farming land/food security, the habitats of animal, housing, dangers and costs. for example
global warming is making farm land infertile, therefore we grow less food and we are less food secure as a result. animal habitats are being lost meaning that animals will die and food chains will be disrupted. with rising tax, housing will become more scarce and expensive. more people are in danger of sunstroke in the summer and those on the coast are losing houses to flooded due to rise in sea level.

hope this helps, are there any specifics you need? x
Reply 4
i suggest you make silly sentences to remover case studies and their facts

e.g.
HEDAZ to remember the zambia case study
H hydroelectric power
E expenses( it cost £500,000 to relocate people)
D dam (kariba dam)
A animals ( land used by dam=less land for animal farming)
Z zambia (an lidc)

also use the website Kerboodle ( you have to buy it but it’s amazing) also watch lots of documentaries on youtube. type in ur case study and watch all you can. it’s interesting and doesn’t feel like you’re learning but you are. whenever a question asks about the Effect something has, remember to comment on the farming land/food security, the habitats of animal, housing, dangers and costs. for example
global warming is making farm land infertile, therefore we grow less food and we are less food secure as a result. animal habitats are being lost meaning that animals will die and food chains will be disrupted. with rising tax, housing will become more scarce and expensive. more people are in danger of sunstroke in the summer and those on the coast are losing houses to flooded due to rise in sea level.

hope this helps, are there any specifics you need? x

Thanks so much!! this sounds super helpful ! something i really struggle on is interpreting the question. sometimes i revise all of my case studies then i see a question which mentions one of them but i'm not actually supposed to list out the information i've learnt from it if that makes sense. i find it hard to pick adn choose information to include whilst still relating to the question being asked. do you have any tips that could help me with this?
Original post by Raia4
Thanks so much!! this sounds super helpful ! something i really struggle on is interpreting the question. sometimes i revise all of my case studies then i see a question which mentions one of them but i'm not actually supposed to list out the information i've learnt from it if that makes sense. i find it hard to pick adn choose information to include whilst still relating to the question being asked. do you have any tips that could help me with this?

when it says EVALUATE you must have a two sides argument then a conclusion which includes which side you agree with and why. use words like however, on the other hand and on the contrary.

if it says EXPLAIN just used PEE (point evidence explain) do 2/3 lots of PEE each separated into short paragraphs then for ur final paragraph do PEEL (point evidence explain link) the link being you linking back to the question w/ a concluding sentence to show that you understood what it was asking.

you get marks for facts and figures so always mention one or two.

it’s hard to pick what info to use in your answer but no matter what, talk about human effects and causes as well as environmental effects and causes. also cost/expenses should always be mentioned with case studies. and sometimes mention the population and how it is affected.
Reply 6

Hey,
I was reading your replies and they were really helpful. I was wondering if you had any other way to get the information for the topics i need to revise for my geography exam. Thanks...
OMG! Whoever is suggesting these tips is amazing. I'm currently in Y11 and I got 6- in my Nov mocks which i extremely hate as i got that last year. It also infuriates me that my new geo teacher says i wont get an 8 that i'm predicted. UGHHHHH! Cant wait to prove him wrong and get higher in my next mocks. Thanks for the tips still. And good luck to the main guy who started the thread! Hardwork and motivation to becoming the best is what keeps me grinding and it will hopefully get me a higher grade in June. Peace!
Reply 8
there's a website called 'cool geography' (bit naf i know) which saved my life. also i would really focus on the nine markers- when you're doing them don't worry about regurgitating the facts all the time- use PEE but focus on the explanation and just try to say if it's a social, environmental, political or economic factor and why. then make sure you have a conclusion with and opinion at the end. if you know your case studies inside out nothing can stop you :smile:
Practice papers. I went from and E in year 10 to an A* last year and I now do A-level geography and I owe it all to practice and teacher feedback.
I would love some tips if you wouldn't mind sharing. I've just received my january mock grade, and I was dissapointed as I only got a 4. My target grade is a 6 but hoping for higher. Please help!
Original post by buskelll
I would love some tips if you wouldn't mind sharing. I've just received my january mock grade, and I was dissapointed as I only got a 4. My target grade is a 6 but hoping for higher. Please help!

Ill help - I'm getting grade 9s in geography (no flex lol). Just revise what your struggling at a LOT. I suggest watching videos about it on youtube or documentaries, e.g if its coasts, try watching some videos explaining it. Youtube is good e.c.t. I learned from videos and I can get 7s in my mocks without revising. Obviously in your case, revise from a textbook do and do some questions (try CGP, they're really good and fun!). Most of geography is common sense, so think rationally. Go to your teacher and ask them how you answer the 8 marker questions as you probably tend to waffle a lot or write nothing there (either of the two), and find out how you answer it specifically, as there is a certain way to pick up the marks there. Once you do all of this, you'll get 7s at least :smile: good luck! and remember to relax when watching your videos. grab a snack or whatever

Quick Reply

Latest