The Student Room Group

MFL Dilemma in GCSE subjects please help me :(

I don't want to do french, Spanish or German in my GCSE, but i'd like to do Urdu my home language as an aqa gcse

We have a teacher in school that teaches urdu

A lot of my freinds said that if i want to choose my home language (Urdu) as a gcse i have to do french, spanish or german to go along with it

Is this true what am i meant to do????
;/

For french and spanish (the 2 ive been learning in school) i get
Spanish :7 (only my previous assesment)
French :6 (only my previous assesment)

other than that my average for both is a 6

I do however speak and write english-urdu however dont know how to write actual arabic urdu and cant read it but my mum can easily teach me in a month :wink:

Please reply (: More than appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by LearnerAtGCSE

A lot of my freinds said that if i want to choose my home language (Urdu) as a gcse i have to do french, spanish or german to go along with it

Stop listening to what your friends say and go to your head of languages.
one of the mfl languages are compulsory so if you want to urdu that would be an additional option. i guess pick the easiest mfl or one you can bear the best

hope this helped x
Original post by hbsstudent
one of the mfl languages are compulsory so if you want to urdu that would be an additional option. i guess pick the easiest mfl or one you can bear the best

hope this helped x

which would you say is is easiest?
Original post by hbsstudent

hope this helped x

I think this depends on your school. It's not compulsory as far as I know - it is at my school though. However, you'll want to have a MFL GCSE above grade C as it is a requirement for some unis (not specifically a requirement in some cases but recommended). I don't know if Urdu counts since it's your 1st language but ask head of MFL at your school. If you're not interested in pursuing MFL to A-Level or beyond, I don't think it matters.
Original post by mundosinfin
I think this depends on your school. It's not compulsory as far as I know - it is at my school though. However, you'll want to have a MFL GCSE above grade C as it is a requirement for some unis (not specifically a requirement in some cases but recommended). I don't know if Urdu counts since it's your 1st language but ask head of MFL at your school. If you're not interested in pursuing MFL to A-Level or beyond, I don't think it matters.

THANKSSSS! for the reply! So im not sure i want to get everything over A's at my gcse's and im never taking any mfl for a levels or beyond but i think i might have to take spanish with it im a bit better at it anyways.
THANKSSSS! for the reply! So im not sure i want to get everything over A's at my gcse's and im never taking any mfl for a levels or beyond but i think i might have to take spanish with it im a bit better at it anyways.

No problem! First go ask the head of MFL at your school and see what they say. If you don't have to do Spanish or French then I wouldn't bother personally, as I'd say Urdu counts as a MFL even though it is a foreign language.
If you have to, pick the one in which you're more fluent - seems obvious, but lots of people at my school picked Spanish just because the course we did in Year 9 was easier than in French as we had previous French experience but none in Spanish. DON'T pick the 'easier' one, pick the one you think you're more capable of getting a good grade at considering the standard you need to be at for GCSE (it's the same for all langs I believe)
If you need any help in the future I'm also studying French and Spanish GCSE (and German) and I study French at a near-native level (I'm not native, I'm in a class with people who are)
Good luck :biggrin:
No problem! First go ask the head of MFL at your school and see what they say. If you don't have to do Spanish or French then I wouldn't bother personally, as I'd say Urdu counts as a MFL even though it is a foreign language.
If you have to, pick the one in which you're more fluent - seems obvious, but lots of people at my school picked Spanish just because the course we did in Year 9 was easier than in French as we had previous French experience but none in Spanish. DON'T pick the 'easier' one, pick the one you think you're more capable of getting a good grade at considering the standard you need to be at for GCSE (it's the same for all langs I believe)
If you need any help in the future I'm also studying French and Spanish GCSE (and German) and I study French at a near-native level (I'm not native, I'm in a class with people who are)
Good luck :biggrin:

if im going to pick spanish what website could i use? Any revision tips :/
if im going to pick spanish what website could i use? Any revision tips :/

Languagesonline is really good - I think you have to subscribe with your school though, you could ask. There are sets on memrise and quizlet with all the vocab you need for the entire GCSE. If you want extra practice you should read in your free time which helps reading - your library may offer beginners' books. Also the app HelloTalk is great especially for Spanish - it lets you chat with natives (good for Spanish since so many people speak it! Warning their English is always pretty good). Even if you're just texting I found it really improves your writing and convo skills; however, I appreciate some people feel uncomfortable talking to strangers on sites like this as some people can be sketchy haha (nobody I talked to was except this weird Indian guy who didn't even speak Spanish - he kept asking me for money god knows why) Lingro is good for Spanish news websites. Some people also like Duolingo but personally I don't like it that much as the vocab is kinda arbitrary :s-smilie:

For revision tips, I would recommend practicing oral whenever you can with Spanish speakers (if you know any or if you have school oral classes!!) - for GCSE since you're not particularly serious about languages I would recommend preparing answers for all possible topics and learning them off by heart, it's worked for me in all my orals and is quicker than thinking off the top of your head (you'll get a higher mark for spontaneity) - try and cram as many complex structures (subjunctive, si clause etc) into them to get the top grades. This way you don't actually have to think by yourself as you've already prepared and your examiner will be impressed - mine was (my teacher in mocks tho) when I rolled off a pluperfect subjunctive si clause (prepared beforehand)
Also use all the apps and websites I said above - Memrise will help with vocab. You should be set for everything after that!

I swear I have more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head :biggrin:
Also I forgot Spanish music is lit!! It’s super easy to find good songs which provide a questionable amount of help for GCSE but they’re fun anyway
Languagesonline is really good - I think you have to subscribe with your school though, you could ask. There are sets on memrise and quizlet with all the vocab you need for the entire GCSE. If you want extra practice you should read in your free time which helps reading - your library may offer beginners' books. Also the app HelloTalk is great especially for Spanish - it lets you chat with natives (good for Spanish since so many people speak it! Warning their English is always pretty good). Even if you're just texting I found it really improves your writing and convo skills; however, I appreciate some people feel uncomfortable talking to strangers on sites like this as some people can be sketchy haha (nobody I talked to was except this weird Indian guy who didn't even speak Spanish - he kept asking me for money god knows why) Lingro is good for Spanish news websites. Some people also like Duolingo but personally I don't like it that much as the vocab is kinda arbitrary :s-smilie:

For revision tips, I would recommend practicing oral whenever you can with Spanish speakers (if you know any or if you have school oral classes!!) - for GCSE since you're not particularly serious about languages I would recommend preparing answers for all possible topics and learning them off by heart, it's worked for me in all my orals and is quicker than thinking off the top of your head (you'll get a higher mark for spontaneity) - try and cram as many complex structures (subjunctive, si clause etc) into them to get the top grades. This way you don't actually have to think by yourself as you've already prepared and your examiner will be impressed - mine was (my teacher in mocks tho) when I rolled off a pluperfect subjunctive si clause (prepared beforehand)
Also use all the apps and websites I said above - Memrise will help with vocab. You should be set for everything after that!

I swear I have more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head :biggrin:

OMG! i cant thank you enough for this detailed reply your amazing!! I really am hoping to get at least a 7 (A)

Quick Reply

Latest