The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Business Computing and ICT

Anyone done this course at Aston? If so could you provide insight on how the course is and if it is good, especially for employability ? Or anyone applied to do it like me for 2018 entry? Thanks :smile:
Hi BassBoy,

Original post by BassBoy123
insight on how the course is and if it is good

Can't speak for the business modules but I do Computer Science and can tell you that the IT modules are taught by amazing lecturers. Some of the material can be tough, but they will take the time to explain everything to you if you need any help :smile:.

The course has a 100% overall satisfaction rate (National Student Survey, 2017), which basically means people are happy with the course.

especially for employability ?

We have lots of links to industry. While your degree is more leaning towards business, the Computer Science department have recently set up the industry club, which gives students the chance to meet industry professional and show off your coursework projects and potentially make contacts in the IT industry.

Also, over 82% of Aston graduates find a graduate level job or further study within six months of graduation. Basically, you have a good chance for employment :smile:

Hope this helps. Shoot any questions towards my way, and I'll try to help. ^Kam
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Aston University
Hi BassBoy,

Can't speak for the business modules but I do Computer Science and can tell you that the IT modules are taught by amazing lecturers. Some of the material can be tough, but they will take the time to explain everything to you if you need any help :smile:.

The course has a 100% overall satisfaction rate (National Student Survey, 2017), which basically means people are happy with the course.

We have lots of links to industry. While your degree is more leaning towards business, the Computer Science department have recently set up the industry club, which gives students the chance to meet industry professional and show off your coursework projects and potentially make contacts in the IT industry.

Also, over 82% of Aston graduates find a graduate level job or further study within six months of graduation. Basically, you have a good chance for employment :smile:

Hope this helps. Shoot any questions towards my way, and I'll try to help. ^Kam

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking to into an IT focused job when I'm older in a business, but I couldn't do Computer Science with business at Aston as I didn't get a B at GCSE so I couldn't apply for it...is the Business Computing and ICT course still good to go into an IT job? (I'm not too sure what I want to do when I'm older, maybe data mining or something). I just really wanted to learn about business as well as IT as I wanted a balance between the two subjects. Thanks :smile:
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking to into an IT focused job when I'm older in a business, but I couldn't do Computer Science with business at Aston as I didn't get a B at GCSE so I couldn't apply for it...is the Business Computing and ICT course still good to go into an IT job? (I'm not too sure what I want to do when I'm older, maybe data mining or something). I just really wanted to learn about business as well as IT as I wanted a balance between the two subjects. Thanks :smile:

Part of the course gives you the opportunity to go into the IT career path.

The first year of the degree is a lot more business focused but in the second year, you will be given the chance to do more IT practical work.

As someone who is currently looking for placements for my Comp Sci degree, as long as you are able to meet the job requirements and demonstrate you have the knowledge, you have just as much chance as anyone else applying with a pure Comp Sci degree.

Hope this helps. ^Kam
Reply 4
Original post by Aston University
Part of the course gives you the opportunity to go into the IT career path.

The first year of the degree is a lot more business focused but in the second year, you will be given the chance to do more IT practical work.

As someone who is currently looking for placements for my Comp Sci degree, as long as you are able to meet the job requirements and demonstrate you have the knowledge, you have just as much chance as anyone else applying with a pure Comp Sci degree.

Hope this helps. ^Kam

Okay, thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 5
Well I always wanted to do a business and ICT degree because I loved the idea of mixing the two subjects together. I've looked at the modules for this specific course and the first year is Business orientated, but then 2nd and 4th year (3rd year will be placement) are heavily IT focused and I received an email about all of the optional modules for this course too and they are also computer/IT orientated, like data mining and an IT final year project, so it covers the technical side I'm interested in along with the business side which I like too.

I've also applied to UCL for 'Information Management for Business' and their course is very similar to this one, I think it is slightly more technical though but not by much. I'm waiting for reply still (they want AAA and I'm predicted AAA) so I've gotta wait and see first, but Aston seems like a great choice still.
Reply 6
Yeah thank you! I wasn't too into programming and stuff but I'd be happy to do a bit of it etc, but the balance between IT and business is what I really wanted and this course seems to do that brilliantly, as does the UCL course too haha. Thanks for all of the help/info! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Will do! Are you at uni at the moment?
Reply 8
At Aston? If so, do you like it there and stuff? :smile:
At Aston? If so, do you like it there and stuff? :smile:

He said Portsmouth
Reply 10
Original post by Bill Nye
He said Portsmouth

Whoops, my mistake! Haha sorry should have realised :smile:
Hi BassBoy123,

I am also looking to start at Aston in Sept for BCIT. Like you, my strongest subjects were I.T and Business and I wanted to study a course with a mixture of both. There are a range of UG courses which combine both, however Aston's Business school has an excellent reputation and I believe the BCIT course is roughly 60% Business so you would gain sound knowledge from experts and also industry links should be good. I don't actually enjoy programming too much, which is why I know I would struggle on a CS degree. I am looking to get into project management, systems analysis or work with database designing (which of course does involve some level of programming), however there are many roles which interlock both business and computing together such as ones I have mentioned and consultants, and various analyst roles, all which can be very rewarding!
Reply 12
Original post by cswizard
Hi BassBoy123,

I am also looking to start at Aston in Sept for BCIT. Like you, my strongest subjects were I.T and Business and I wanted to study a course with a mixture of both. There are a range of UG courses which combine both, however Aston's Business school has an excellent reputation and I believe the BCIT course is roughly 60% Business so you would gain sound knowledge from experts and also industry links should be good. I don't actually enjoy programming too much, which is why I know I would struggle on a CS degree. I am looking to get into project management, systems analysis or work with database designing (which of course does involve some level of programming), however there are many roles which interlock both business and computing together such as ones I have mentioned and consultants, and various analyst roles, all which can be very rewarding!

Hey! Yeah I agree with everything you said, it's a great course. Have you got an offer from Aston for BCIT and if so, what grades? :smile:
I had offers from Loughborough, Aston, Uni of Leicester and Uni of Nottingham - however the other courses were things like Computing for Management or Business Computing which were much more heavily Math based, and much more programming focused and less Business orientated.

I did an Access course in Computing instead and received the maximum grade which is why Aston happily accepted me :smile:
Reply 14
I had offers from Loughborough, Aston, Uni of Leicester and Uni of Nottingham - however the other courses were things like Computing for Management or Business Computing which were much more heavily Math based, and much more programming focused and less Business orientated.

I did an Access course in Computing instead and received the maximum grade which is why Aston happily accepted me :smile:

Is Aston your first choice?

Hey, well done. I remember your posts from years ago. Hope all goes well.

Quick Reply

Latest