The Student Room Group

Please help, renting a place to stay for the first time all on my own

so i hate being at university i really want to quit but i do not want to go home so that requires me to rent.
at first i was trying to find a job and then a place but honestly i rather just move out asap then get a job. because it takes a while to find a job.
i have savings so thats not an issue. i can pay deposits, i can pay potentially 3 months rent or more just with savings but im going to get a job anyway.

so please help i have no idea what to do i don't really have family i could ask.

websites?
what to look out for?
do i tell them that i don't have a job?
how long will it take? x(
when should i tell uni? after i've found somewhere? I don't want to quit uni and then still be here 2 months later because i havent moved out yet and then get kicked out of accomodation.
can i keep my student finance ? (the second installment?
Original post by pasiley.lea
so i hate being at university i really want to quit but i do not want to go home so that requires me to rent.
at first i was trying to find a job and then a place but honestly i rather just move out asap then get a job. because it takes a while to find a job.
i have savings so thats not an issue. i can pay deposits, i can pay potentially 3 months rent or more just with savings but im going to get a job anyway.

so please help i have no idea what to do i don't really have family i could ask.

websites?
what to look out for?
when should i tell uni? after i've found somewhere? I don't want to quit uni and then still be here 2 months later because i havent moved out yet and then get kicked out of accomodation.

If you drop out of uni, you'll have to pay back any student finance you've been overpaid. But you may not have to pay it all back at once.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
If you drop out of uni, you'll have to pay back any student finance you've been overpaid. But you may not have to pay it all back at once.

as in now or when i start to work?

websites?
what to look out for?

You cant get a place to rent unless you have some form of proof that you can make the payments regularly (3 months savings isnt enough) this can be by having a job or by having housing benefit (though a lot of private landlords dont accept this one for people wanting to move into their property)

You will have to pay back a percentage of the second instalment depending on when you formally withdraw from the uni, the closer to the time you were paid it the more you have to pay back, they dont take into account the fact you have used it for rent etc when calculating how much you pay back

Look for places to rent on letting agencies normally for a 1 bed place, spareroom.co.uk if you want a house share, you will need to provide proof of earnings.

You will also still have to pay the rent on your uni accommodation even if you move out of it unless you can find someone to replace you

If you dont plan on going back home/getting financial support from anyone then I would highly recommend get a job BEFORE leaving uni

This will depend on your uni but you may be able to leave uni but stay in your uni accommodation (while still paying the rent) after you withdraw from uni
as in now or when i start to work?

now (for the second instalment of the maintenance loan)
(edited 6 years ago)
You can't rent a place without steady income so you need to find work first.

Latest