The Student Room Group

Wellcome Graduate Scheme 2018

Hi all,
Tried to find a thread on this but couldn't - anyone else here applying for the Wellcome grad scheme? I applied on Sunday for the General Graduate Development Programme! Good luck to everyone!

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying for it too - need to send my application off this weekend!! Do you know if it's competitive?
Reply 2
Hi! Good luck! My application moved to 'being under review', I think it closes at midnight so we might hear back soon about the interview! I don't have much of an idea how competitive it is in regards to how many people apply, but I saw on their website they only hire 10 people, so I imagine it is quite competitive!
Reply 3
I can no longer see it on the portal. can you, guys?
Anybody heard anything yet?
Reply 5
I applied too, and my application moved to 'under review' but nothing else as of yet!

I remember seeing on the email that we'd hear back by 22nd December, so maybe we'll end up hearing on 22nd itself?

Good luck everyone!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Pablapicassa
I'm applying for it too - need to send my application off this weekend!! Do you know if it's competitive?

I went to the Open Evening in October and they said they usually get above 1000 applicants for the 10 places, so it's pretty competitive! They did mention for that not to put anyone off though, they seemed really friendly! :smile:

Good luck!
Hey guys! I've applied too but yeah I guess we'll hear back this week? :biggrin:
Hey guys! Has anyone heard back so far? I can't even see my application under submitted applications on portal??
Reply 9
Original post by zaraashaikh
Hey guys! Has anyone heard back so far? I can't even see my application under submitted applications on portal??

I received an email about half an hour ago saying I'd made it through to the video interview and would receive a link to it later today, so I imagine the emails will be sent out throughout today? :smile:

I'd also remember to check your junk folder, as that's where mine arrived even though I'd made sure to add all Wellcome-related email addresses to my important contacts list! :rolleyes:

Good luck! :biggrin:

EDIT: also, my status hasn't changed from "under review" on the portal, so I imagine that those won't change until after assessment centres possibly?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CAH96
I received an email about half an hour ago saying I'd made it through to the video interview and would receive a link to it later today, so I imagine the emails will be sent out throughout today? :smile:

I'd also remember to check your junk folder, as that's where mine arrived even though I'd made sure to add all Wellcome-related email addresses to my important contacts list! :rolleyes:

EDIT: also, my status hasn't changed from "under review" on the portal, so I imagine that those won't change until after assessment centres possibly?

Congratulation! Very happy for you :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by zaraashaikh
Congratulation! Very happy for you :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin: I received a rejection from another scheme earlier this week, and the Wellcome scheme is the one that's my absolute dream, so I'd gotten a bit disheartened- but it's nice to finally have some good news before Christmas! :biggrin:
Original post by CAH96
Thanks! :biggrin: I received a rejection from another scheme earlier this week, and the Wellcome scheme is the one that's my absolute dream, so I'd gotten a bit disheartened- but it's nice to finally have some good news before Christmas! :biggrin:

Very well done! I'm actually the same - it was the NHS one! Fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by CAH96

Congrats on getting through to the interview stage! How did the interview go? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by asm17
Congrats on getting through to the interview stage! How did the interview go? :smile:

Thanks! :smile: Did you apply?

It was different- I've never done a video interview like this before- but I think it went well. I had to practice a lot beforehand regarding body language and making sure my eyes focused on the webcam rather than darting around the room (or worse, looking at the play-back of myself!).

I think that was probably the most challenging aspect of it- the fact that you didn't have another person's body language to respond to, you're essentially just given a question and then they record you talking to your computer- at least with a Skype interview etc. you can see someone else and have more of a conversation than a rehearsed spiel.

I'd prepared beforehand what sort of questions might come up and I'd done my research, so I was less nervous about that. I will say one benefit of the format was that you had one minute to prepare before recording after every question- I think that allowed my answers to be a little more structured and logical than perhaps if I'd been immediately answering someone face-to-face in conversation!

I think it went well, but we'll have to see! All there is to do is wait now! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by CAH96
Thanks! :smile: Did you apply?

It was different- I've never done a video interview like this before- but I think it went well. I had to practice a lot beforehand regarding body language and making sure my eyes focused on the webcam rather than darting around the room (or worse, looking at the play-back of myself!).

I think that was probably the most challenging aspect of it- the fact that you didn't have another person's body language to respond to, you're essentially just given a question and then they record you talking to your computer- at least with a Skype interview etc. you can see someone else and have more of a conversation than a rehearsed spiel.

I'd prepared beforehand what sort of questions might come up and I'd done my research, so I was less nervous about that. I will say one benefit of the format was that you had one minute to prepare before recording after every question- I think that allowed my answers to be a little more structured and logical than perhaps if I'd been immediately answering someone face-to-face in conversation!

I think it went well, but we'll have to see! All there is to do is wait now! :biggrin:

Well done! and thanks for the tips. I had mine yesterday too (due to a technical issue) but it didn't go as well as I wanted it to. Guess its just a waiting game now. Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by asm17
Well done! and thanks for the tips. I had mine yesterday too (due to a technical issue) but it didn't go as well as I wanted it to. Guess its just a waiting game now. Good luck!

Good luck to you too, I hope you get through to the assessment centre! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Does anyone remember what date they said we would hear back about the video interview? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by AishaC
Does anyone remember what date they said we would hear back about the video interview? :smile:

I believe it was the 11th (this Thursday) :smile:
Reply 19
Anyone heard anything yet?

Quick Reply

Latest