The Student Room Group

GCSE options

I have decided I want to take German, Geography and Business Studies I need one more subject but I don't know what to choose between Design Technology, Latin and Art.
My mom wants me to take Latin but I don't really want to very much since the lessons are always quite boring and repetitive. The lessons are actually quite easy though and I get good grades in it.
I'm not very good at art but I do enjoy it sometimes although the teachers are always quite judgemental and I don't know if I'll have time for it with German and Geography as there are always big projects to do in Art and Geography plus I would have to practice my German. I don't think Art would be a main focus of mine.
I like DT and I think I use those lessons to be calm and just focus on my product as I'm a bit of a perfectionist however I'm not the best at using the computer and sometimes have problems with it.
My advice is you’re already taking some good academic subjects so for your last option pick the one you’ll enjoy the most and will give you least stress.

If you find Latin quite easy then that’s a good option because less stress the better. But then consider that if you find it super boring you won’t want to revise and this will increase stress.
Art and D.T do often have big projects that take up time. In my GCSEs I took D.T as my ‘fun’ subject but it was actually a cause of big stress because I was always staying behind after school to catch up coursework. Having my time again I would have taken P.E.

Overall my advice would be think which you’ll enjoy and find least effort and pick that.

One way to decide might be roll a dice, (1-2) Latin, (3-4) art, (5-6) German. You may find yourself hoping it lands on a particular one and that will tell you what you really want so then you can pick that.
Reply 2
Original post by TheTree0fDeath
My advice is you’re already taking some good academic subjects so for your last option pick the one you’ll enjoy the most and will give you least stress.

If you find Latin quite easy then that’s a good option because less stress the better. But then consider that if you find it super boring you won’t want to revise and this will increase stress.
Art and D.T do often have big projects that take up time. In my GCSEs I took D.T as my ‘fun’ subject but it was actually a cause of big stress because I was always staying behind after school to catch up coursework. Having my time again I would have taken P.E.

Overall my advice would be think which you’ll enjoy and find least effort and pick that.

One way to decide might be roll a dice, (1-2) Latin, (3-4) art, (5-6) German. You may find yourself hoping it lands on a particular one and that will tell you what you really want so then you can pick that.

I don't think I want to take Art anymore and I did not consider that I would have to stay after school for DT. I already find it quite hard to finish making during DT lessons so thank you for mentioning that.

I feel like right now I'm leaning more towards DT over Latin even though I'll have to put in more effort because I don't exactly know what I want to do in the future and I think taking DT will open up more opportunities for me while I may also improve my computer skills which I could need since computing and digitals are becoming bigger.

Latin be like a base to help me with my German as it's the base of many languages and would help me understand German better but I don't want to be learning lots of words and phrases whilst also doing German as I could possibly mix them up during an exam. In Latin we usually do reading comprehension style tests so German won't effect it very much but it might effect my German as I have to do speaking, writing etc.

Also I will try the dice method :smile: Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3

Also 1 question
Do you think computer skills are an important part of DT and how often would I need them?? Like do I have to be very advanced at computing??
Original post by Kabinaaaa
Also 1 question
Do you think computer skills are an important part of DT and how often would I need them?? Like do I have to be very advanced at computing??

I am currently taking DT gcse, computer skills are not very important in it, you may use it to produce one or two designs (using a CAD program) and your coursework will probably be on a PowerPoint
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ben_dickinson
I am currently taking DT gcse, computer skills are not very important in it, you may use it to produce one or two designs (using a CAD program) and your coursework will probably be on a PowerPoint

Oh okay thanks that shouldn't be too complicated then
Oh okay thanks that shouldn't be too complicated then

also, my DT project is not going to take more time than I have available in lessons, so despite the fact you have a project in it, you don't have to make something big. I am making.a light which is relatively quick to make, but my marks will probably come from the techniques used
Reply 7
Do not take Art if you want time to study!!
Art will really effect you other, more important GCSEs.
Also 1 question

Not really, unless it’s graphic design then maybe but I did resistant materials and generally you just need to use like PowerPoint, word etc. The only hard part was google sketch up when I was 3d modelling my product. You should be okay still as your teacher should guide you through.
I have decided I want to take German, Geography and Business Studies I need one more subject but I don't know what to choose between Design Technology, Latin and Art.
My mom wants me to take Latin but I don't really want to very much since the lessons are always quite boring and repetitive. The lessons are actually quite easy though and I get good grades in it.
I'm not very good at art but I do enjoy it sometimes although the teachers are always quite judgemental and I don't know if I'll have time for it with German and Geography as there are always big projects to do in Art and Geography plus I would have to practice my German. I don't think Art would be a main focus of mine.
I like DT and I think I use those lessons to be calm and just focus on my product as I'm a bit of a perfectionist however I'm not the best at using the computer and sometimes have problems with it.

I'd say ignore what your mum wants if it's going to be something that makes you miserable.
Reply 10
Not really, unless it’s graphic design then maybe but I did resistant materials and generally you just need to use like PowerPoint, word etc. The only hard part was google sketch up when I was 3d modelling my product. You should be okay still as your teacher should guide you through.

Okay thank youu I think I might take DT but I want to see what my parents think as well
Reply 11
Original post by Zoe Lea
Do not take Art if you want time to study!!
Art will really effect you other, more important GCSEs.

I've had other people say that to me before ever since I was in year 7 but I still considered it and I don't think I'm gonna take it

Quick Reply

Latest