The Student Room Group

Student maintenance loan for an EU student

Hello,

I wanted to inquire whether or not it is possible to acquire a maintenance loan for an EU student. This is extremely important since without it, I will not be able to study in UK. I am asking this since I've heard rumors of EU student being granted the maintenance loan, however gov.uk states that it is not possible.
Original post by theapplicant237
Hello,

I wanted to inquire whether or not it is possible to acquire a maintenance loan for an EU student. This is extremely important since without it, I will not be able to study in UK. I am asking this since I've heard rumors of EU student being granted the maintenance loan, however gov.uk states that it is not possible.

You have to have been resident in the uk for five years to get it.
I’m afraid to say it’s what the person above said. BUT, many universities offer scholarships to international students that you don’t need to pay back😊
wow, that stings. What a way to waste two years in the ib...
Original post by theapplicant237
Hello,

EU students can only get a maintainance loan if one or more of the following applies:

1. They have lived in the UK for 5 or more years
2. They are the child of a migrant worker (aka Mum or Dad is working in the UK)
3. They are a migrant worker aka they are working in the UK and will carry on working during their studies
Reply 5
It's 3 years in the UK guys not 5. Also try and find a full time job and continue work while studying and you'll get the grants... It's your last year to apply for these as we don't know what's going to happen after Brexit, I suppose there won't be anymore money...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Does your own government not provide loans/grants for their students going abroad?

I’m Finnish and the Finnish government will give me a full maintenance loan even if you study abroad. But maybe that’s just the Nordic social heaven.
Original post by Steffanu
It's 3 years in the UK guys not 5. Also try and find a full time job and continue work while studying and you'll get the grants... It's your last year to apply for these as we don't know what's going to happen after Brexit, I suppose there won't be anymore money...

It's 3 in the EU for tuition and 5 in the UK for maintenance loan.

Quick Reply

Latest