The Student Room Group

Electromagnetic Induction

I am having trouble understanding this question: What does 'induced magnetic polarity' mean? I thought only emf and current could be induced? Also for the direction of the induced current I am not sure which part to apply the left hand rule to (the coil or the magnet, if it's the coil which part of the coil is moving?).Also the direction of the field and the movement of the bar magnet are in the same plane.
Original post by FXLander
I am having trouble understanding this question: What does 'induced magnetic polarity' mean? I thought only emf and current could be induced? Also for the direction of the induced current I am not sure which part to apply the left hand rule to (the coil or the magnet, if it's the coil which part of the coil is moving?).Also the direction of the field and the movement of the bar magnet are in the same plane.

Hi,

This question is an application question about Lenz's law of electromagnetic induction. The magnetic field in the coil acts in the polarity to oppose a change in EMF- therefore the polarity of the coil is north to oppose the magnet entering it and increasing the emf induced.

The induced current associated with the induced magnetic pole being north is anticlockwise.

There are lots of good explanations online. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hi,

This question is an application question about Lenz's law of electromagnetic induction. The magnetic field in the coil acts in the polarity to oppose a change in EMF- therefore the polarity of the coil is north to oppose the magnet entering it and increasing the emf induced.

The induced current associated with the induced magnetic pole being north is anticlockwise.

There are lots of good explanations online. Hope this helps.

Yes thank you that helped a lot. Do you know of any good websites for such explanations you mentioned or is it easier to just google the topic in question?
Original post by FXLander
Yes thank you that helped a lot. Do you know of any good websites for such explanations you mentioned or is it easier to just google the topic in question?

Hi,

I'm really sorry I can't remember which webiste I used as there was a good explanantion in my revision guide. There are some good videos if you type it into Youtube though.

Quick Reply

Latest