The Student Room Group

I'm a pilot AMA

Title speaks for itself 😊 (commercial pilot, not private)

Scroll to see replies

Are you actually?
Reply 2
Yes.. I fly an Airbus with a UK airline. Would be awkward starting this thread if I didn't know what to answer, don't you think? 😂

Original post by beeninetytwo
Are you actually?
When and how do you train, and how much competition is there?
Which airline do you work for?
Reply 5
To get the licence we go to a flight school, you can start whenever you want but have to be 18 to get the licence (schools normally require you to be 17.5 yrs to start though). After that we do training and a check in the simulator every 6 months to keep the "type rating" valid.

There are a lot of people training to become pilots, but we didn't view it as competition. Everyone is there to train and get a job so we'd help each other out and have fun :smile:

Original post by JMR2018
When and how do you train, and how much competition is there?
Reply 6
One of the big UK holiday airlines, flying the Airbus A321
Original post by qasim-96
Which airline do you work for?
can an Airbus fly inverted ?

:holmes:
Reply 8
:biggrin: Well, yes and no. It is physically possible on just about any plane, but the Airbus has protections that wouldn't allow us to do that

Original post by the bear
can an Airbus fly inverted ?

Budget airlines aren’t exactly booming with positivity at the moment. How are you finding the hours, the demands, and they pay?

What is your opinion on both the integrated and modular routes into the airlines?

Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
have you seen a UFO whilst flying your plane ?

Original post by AYRnet
Title speaks for itself 😊 (commercial pilot, not private)

Is it always scary to land a commercial plane despite the amount of experience you have? Because I've seen windy, bumpy landings etc. and it's uncomfortable to watch.
Reply 12
Good questions Ryan.
1. I work for a charter airline, so I work comfortable hours, plenty of time off and enough flying to keep me happy. Friends in low cost airlines are much busier but they seem to enjoy it 😊 The demands are about the same everywhere (get there safely!), but some airlines push pilots to be more and more fuel efficient. Can't speak for others but at my company they just let us get on with it which is really nice. The pay is comfortable, for those thinking pilots at low cost airlines don't get paid well I can tell you from friends that's not the case :wink:

2. Both ways are good, in my experience those who trained integrated seem to have better training and in general find jobs faster. Modular is great as well, especially for those on a budget or who need more time with family, etc.. It seems more difficult to get a job (depends on where you train though) and the quality of training seems to vary. Overall modular students seem a bit happier, perhaps as they have more time to enjoy the course, rather than focus on 6 exams all at once. I took an integrated course and I'd do it all again, it was that much fun! At the end though, both are good and it really depends on the instructor(s) you have and the school's contacts with airlines.

3. Hopefully doing a command course or sitting in the left seat :smile:

Original post by ryan9900
Budget airlines aren’t exactly booming with positivity at the moment. How are you finding the hours, the demands, and they pay?

What is your opinion on both the integrated and modular routes into the airlines?

Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
Reply 13
:biggrin: no, sorry

Original post by the bear
have you seen a UFO whilst flying your plane ?

Have you joined the mile high club?
What did you get in GCSE

What did you take for A Levels and what did you get
Original post by AYRnet
Good questions Ryan.
1. I work for a charter airline, so I work comfortable hours, plenty of time off and enough flying to keep me happy. Friends in low cost airlines are much busier but they seem to enjoy it 😊 The demands are about the same everywhere (get there safely!), but some airlines push pilots to be more and more fuel efficient. Can't speak for others but at my company they just let us get on with it which is really nice. The pay is comfortable, for those thinking pilots at low cost airlines don't get paid well I can tell you from friends that's not the case :wink:

2. Both ways are good, in my experience those who trained integrated seem to have better training and in general find jobs faster. Modular is great as well, especially for those on a budget or who need more time with family, etc.. It seems more difficult to get a job (depends on where you train though) and the quality of training seems to vary. Overall modular students seem a bit happier, perhaps as they have more time to enjoy the course, rather than focus on 6 exams all at once. I took an integrated course and I'd do it all again, it was that much fun! At the end though, both are good and it really depends on the instructor(s) you have and the school's contacts with airlines.

3. Hopefully doing a command course or sitting in the left seat :smile:

Many thanks for the detailed replies. I’ve not got many more hours until I get my PPL so have been weighing up some options for the future. All the best!
Reply 17
It becomes routine, tbh, every landing is different but that adds to your skills and leaves you feeling like you've achieved something after the flight. 😊 Wind/bumpiness close to the ground is something we deal with fairly often, so we get used to that, just a question of getting used to the feel of the plane to make the correct control inputs. It's also more focused and controlled when you're in the cockpit compared to when you watch these things on YouTube!

That said, everyone remembers their first flights, before you get used to landing it your pulse increases when the runway appears :biggrin:

Original post by ManLike007
Is it always scary to land a commercial plane despite the amount of experience you have? Because I've seen windy, bumpy landings etc. and it's uncomfortable to watch.
Reply 18
Enjoy your PPL, best of luck! Feel free to message me if you have any questions

Original post by ryan9900
Many thanks for the detailed replies. I’ve not got many more hours until I get my PPL so have been weighing up some options for the future. All the best!
Reply 19
😃 no, and tbh I don't know any pilots who have (also, the toilets are dirty places, ask any crew member... we'd prefer to avoid them!)

Original post by cat_mac
Have you joined the mile high club?

Quick Reply

Latest