The Student Room Group

Official Women’s Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock Fan
We'll need it, they just let our star striker go which is rubbish I even got a shirt with her name on the back :frown:
http://ladies.avfc.co.uk/news/wilkinson_leaves_villa_ladies.html#EXrTx6jlVwbMfRD3.97

Ah I know that feeling! (for so for the mens team - esp rn now with the Coutinho saga) Thats annoying :frown:

Original post by Kayleighbirdxx
Anyone should be allowed to play any sport , there shouldn’t be any gender discrimination as to who can play what sport. Regardless of whether you’re a male or female , everyone is good at certain things , some better than others.

Seconded :smile:
Original post by Kayleighbirdxx
Anyone should be allowed to play any sport , there shouldn’t be any gender discrimination as to who can play what sport. Regardless of whether you’re a male or female , everyone is good at certain things , some better than others.

Agree here that's why we now have a full time Women's Football appreciation thread

Original post by Jack22031994
Ah I know that feeling! (for so for the mens team - esp rn now with the Coutinho saga) Thats annoying :frown:

Seconded :smile:

Yeah that's not good at all the Coutinho situation

Yeah that's not good at all the Coutinho situation

Good profit though, only bought him for £8 million. Anyway this womens football!

We are doing alright this season. 4th in the WSL1. 6 points off top though (Man City ofc :lol:)
Good profit though, only bought him for £8 million. Anyway this womens football!

We are doing alright this season. 4th in the WSL1. 6 points off top though (Man City ofc :lol:)

We ain't doing too well this season only won 1 game out of 5 so far, badly need 3 points this weekend.
We ain't doing too well this season only won 1 game out of 5 so far, badly need 3 points this weekend.

Aw that sucks :frown: Hope you get them!
Aw that sucks :frown: Hope you get them!

See Liverpool Ladies won 8.0 tonight over Yeovil, Villa are letting all season ticket holders in for free tomorrow which is a win win for me.
Is anyone interested in women's football over here and has time to chat? I'm kinda sick of trying to share my excitement with my friends and getting 'cool's and 'whatever's :biggrin:
Reply 47
Probably only would watch the final of the world cup but I'm not really interested in it. Do you support a team?
Women's teams wise, I support Portland Thorns of the NWSL (which is basically MLS but women's) and the US national team.

Men's teams wise, I support Liverpool and I don't particularly have a favourite national team.
Although I'm not a fan of football in particular (full stop), I do think women's football is underrated and the premier league is overrated.
Original post by 04MR17
Although I'm not a fan of football in particular (full stop), I do think women's football is underrated and the premier league is overrated.

Both overrated.
I mean, women's football is super underrated and people just don't realise that even though there's this whole debate about the women's game not being as good as the men's (and although at some point one could argue that it's right), they don't take into consideration the fact that women have been playing this game professionally for like what? 25 years? - and even that is a stretch. The oldest men's club team has probably been around for like over 100 years and playstyle, strategies, formations, &c. have evolved and become better over time, just like the women's is bound to.

A second point to take into consideration is the men's physique and their strength compared to a woman's. I could probably write an entire thesis about this, but the point is that women have to put a lot more effort in to build muscle than men do; it's a fact.

Third, but not least, the money that is invested in trying to make the game better. Again, this comes with time, but people are obviously more likely to invest in the game that is more popular, thus getting more spectators, &c. If you look at it from the other end, men's football has also become a huge industry and the countless times that popular players both you and I can name have faked a fault just so they could get that winning penalty or free kick for the final of whatever UEFA League they were playing in, just shows how some players just do it for the money... Everyone wants to win, but what's the fun in that if you don't respect the same rules as everyone else? Well +- couple of million euros here and there, y'know, "nothing much".

I haven't seen that happen in women's football and it might just be that it hasn't happened yet, but a fact is for sure, they earn A LOT less than the men do and they can't and won't risk faking an injury or anything like that because they just get up and keep playing. There isn't that much money in game so they just want to win, and win fairly. And of course I'm not saying that all men players are always looking to win unfairly, but let's face it, teams like Barcelona and others of the same caliber have done that a lot.

Anyway, back onto the main point. Women have a lot of potential, their game is constantly improving. It's just that people don't really want to give it any credit because in reality, people are always fixed on the idea that "nobody will ever be as good as x" and that's fair enough, but they've still gotta give the women's game a chance. People think that it's a bit hilarious because they're "trying and failing to copy what men can do", but really, they are improving and players like Tobin Heath and Megan Rapinoe (both from the US national team) are amazing examples (even though their careers aren't quite at the beginning) and you've probably never heard those names, but hey- at the end of the day, if you at least google them, I'm happy. There's a lot of young players that are doing extremely well too, so there's that. North American countries are more focused on women's football than European countries are, so that can also be an influencing factor - my opinion.

All I'ma say is give them a chance.

Side-note: They're fun to watch if you support a particular team or player.
Original post by kelleyohara5
If you look at it from the other end, men's football has also become a huge industry and the countless times that popular players both you and I can name have faked a fault just so they could get that winning penalty or free kick for the final of whatever UEFA League they were playing in, just shows how some players just do it for the money... Everyone wants to win, but what's the fun in that if you don't respect the same rules as everyone else? Well +- couple of million euros here and there, y'know, "nothing much".

I haven't seen that happen in women's football and it might just be that it hasn't happened yet, but a fact is for sure, they earn A LOT less than the men do and they can't and won't risk faking an injury or anything like that because they just get up and keep playing.

So much wrong with this terrible post but this is the most obvious bit. You simply don't watch women's football if you believe they don't dive, the England women were diving against the Netherlands in the Euros to try and get penalties, loads of people picked up on it. You've fell for one of the most oft repeated footballing myths that people just keep on using to try and 'get one over' the men.
Original post by Wilfred Little
So much wrong with this terrible post but this is the most obvious bit. You simply don't watch women's football if you believe they don't dive, the England women were diving against the Netherlands in the Euros to try and get penalties, loads of people picked up on it. You've fell for one of the most oft repeated footballing myths that people just keep on using to try and 'get one over' the men.

Well thank you, but I am aware that some of them do dive. I didn't put enough emphasis on the word 'I' though; what I meant to say was that ever since I watch women's football, which is a few years now, I haven't seen anything like that. And I was talking about the completely obvious dives that men make and do not get picked up on. Besides, I don't watch women's football because I believe they don't dive. I watch it because there's potential. And I've been talking about all of the leagues/championships, not just the Euros.

And do point out what you believe is so horrible about my post. Please do.

And again, I'm not pointing out why I prefer watching women's football over men's football. I've had my fair share of watching men's football to be able to make all of these affirmations from a more or less impartial point of view. I've been pointing out that women's football does deserve a chance at being watched and is indeed underrated, rather than completely ignored because "the men's game is better". In no way whatsoever was I trying to convince anyone that women's football is better. I was trying to make a point about it being underrated despite their potential.
Well thank you, but I am aware that some of them do dive. I didn't put enough emphasis on the word 'I' though; what I meant to say was that ever since I watch women's football, which is a few years now, I haven't seen anything like that. And I was talking about the completely obvious dives that men make and do not get picked up on. Besides, I don't watch women's football because I believe they don't dive. I watch it because there's potential. And I've been talking about all of the leagues/championships, not just the Euros.

Yeah, cos the one I posted wasn't a completely obvious dive?

Women do it regularly, just as often as men, but because most people don't want women's football it allows people to say 'women don't dive!' and it goes unchallenged because the average person can't really argue against it if they haven't seen it. Pretty much all athletes seek to gain an advantage in any way they can when the stakes are high it's not just limited to men or football.

And do point out what you believe is so horrible about my post. Please do.

Most of it tbh, reads like you don't know what you're talking about. Things like this:

The oldest men's club team has probably been around for like over 100 years

And again, I'm not pointing out why I prefer watching women's football over men's football. I've had my fair share of watching men's football to be able to make all of these affirmations from a more or less impartial point of view. I've been pointing out that women's football does deserve a chance at being watched and is indeed underrated, rather than completely ignored because "the men's game is better". In no way whatsoever was I trying to convince anyone that women's football is better. I was trying to make a point about it being underrated despite their potential.

It is overrated. It receives far more coverage than the quality deserves.

It's just that people don't really want to give it any credit because in reality, people are always fixed on the idea that "nobody will ever be as good as x" and that's fair enough

People don't want to give it credit because we are sick of the constant need to belittle men's football by the women's football lot. If you want women's football to get more popular one thing the fans should do is stop trying to attack men's football all the time. And I do mean all the time. Every time it's discussed the inevitable comparison happens. Every time the England women play the fans constantly say things like 'if only the men had a few of these women!' or other similar shite. It's small time. It's not enough to just enjoy it for what it is, there is a desperate need to compare it to men's football and it's incredibly off putting.
Most of it tbh, reads like you don't know what you're talking about. Things like this:

I do know what I'm talking about, and what I said is true. Professionally, men's football has been around for longer than the women's.

Yeah, cos the one I posted wasn't a completely obvious dive?

I was saying that the men's did NOT get picked up on, even if it was as obvious as the one you've just sent.

Pretty much all athletes seek to gain an advantage in any way they can when the stakes are high it's not just limited to men or football.

True, but you can't really overlook that when there's so many dives that happened... I mean surely, the stakes were high, as you said, but that doesn't mean the referees shouldn't have picked up on it. I never meant to say that dives do not happen. It's just that they never get picked up on, somehow.

It is overrated. It receives far more coverage than the quality deserves.

I don't think I've seen it as much as you claim for it to be "overrated". You only ever see it on common TV channels when there's a championship going on.

People don't want to give it credit because we are sick of the constant need to belittle men's football by the women's football lot. If you want women's football to get more popular one thing the fans should do is stop trying to attack men's football all the time. And I do mean all the time. Every time it's discussed the inevitable comparison happens. Every time the England women play the fans constantly say things like 'if only the men had a few of these women!' or other similar shite. It's small time. It's not enough to just enjoy it for what it is, there is a desperate need to compare it to men's football and it's incredibly off putting.

That I agree with, but that's not even remotely close to what I was saying/implying... What I was trying to say is that it's not that bad. Again... My point is that a lot of people say that women's football is super horrible, when really, they only say that because it's nothing like the men's game. It's not even the same thing. But the rules are still the same and women do this for a living too. They deserve just a bit more recognition - in my opinion.
Not doing themselves many favours by taking forever to replace Sampson as manager and then going with Phil Neville. Seems like a bit of a joke to me.

I'll happily watch women's football. The footballing quality obviously isn't the same as the men but that kind of thing doesn't bother me. I've said a few times on here that my favourite football game was the US vs Canada women's semi at the 2012 Olympics. It had everything I want when I'm watching sport.

Women's teams wise, I support Portland Thorns of the NWSL (which is basically MLS but women's) and the US national team.

The size of the crowds Portland pull in are crazy!

I don't watch women's football religiously so I don't know loads about it but I like Crystal Dunn. Got a soft spot for Japan as well since the first tournament I watched properly was the 2011 World Cup.
I don't watch it anymore, but I barely watch football at all now.

I am just sick of the culture around the game tbh, fans bicker and blame blame each other while the governance of the game remains a total farce, somwthing that seems even worse for the women.
My favourite women footballers are Christine Sinclair, Megan Rapinoe, Tobin Heath and Kelley O'Hara.

Firstly, Christine Sinclair because she's an amazing striker, has great long shots and she's the backbone of CanWNT. One of the best captains that women's football has seen.

Secondly, Megan Rapinoe because she has one of the greatest ball control I've seen in women's football (as well as Tobin Heath) and she knows how to create opportunities.

Thirdly, Tobin Heath because of her ball control and the small tricks that she pulls off. She is feisty and makes for such a great midfielder, or winger even.

Last, but not least, Kelley O'Hara because of her versatility. She's been in practically every role when playing for the USWNT (apart from goalie) and I'm seriously looking forward to seeing her play for the Utah Royals next season.

Then... My favourite goalie, I have to say is Hope Solo, regardless of her super bad reputation and despite the fact that my guts pretty much hate her personality. She's had an 80% winrate with the USWNT and if you discount the draws, she has an exact winrate of 85%. That's something to look up to, especially for me, having grown up loving to be a goalie. Very upsetting to learn about her past though.

And I have to say my favourite match is probably the same one, the semi-finals of the 2012 Olympics. That should have been the final, if you ask me.

Aaaaand... There's FIFA 18 that I seriously enjoy playing but I'm really upset that the only way you can play women's online is to have a friend you can play with on friendly seasons. I've only managed to find an opponent once when I queued up for online seasons with Canada. Guess I'll just have to stick to good ol' Chelsea and Liverpool.

(really wish they added the NWSL and few other women's leagues though)
My favourite women footballers are Christine Sinclair, Megan Rapinoe, Tobin Heath and Kelley O'Hara.

Firstly, Christine Sinclair because she's an amazing striker, has great long shots and she's the backbone of CanWNT. One of the best captains that women's football has seen.

Secondly, Megan Rapinoe because she has one of the greatest ball control I've seen in women's football (as well as Tobin Heath) and she knows how to create opportunities.

Thirdly, Tobin Heath because of her ball control and the small tricks that she pulls off. She is feisty and makes for such a great midfielder, or winger even.

Last, but not least, Kelley O'Hara because of her versatility. She's been in practically every role when playing for the USWNT (apart from goalie) and I'm seriously looking forward to seeing her play for the Utah Royals next season.

Then... My favourite goalie, I have to say is Hope Solo, regardless of her super bad reputation and despite the fact that my guts pretty much hate her personality. She's had an 80% winrate with the USWNT and if you discount the draws, she has an exact winrate of 85%. That's something to look up to, especially for me, having grown up loving to be a goalie. Very upsetting to learn about her past though.

And I have to say my favourite match is probably the same one, the semi-finals of the 2012 Olympics. That should have been the final, if you ask me.

Aaaaand... There's FIFA 18 that I seriously enjoy playing but I'm really upset that the only way you can play women's online is to have a friend you can play with on friendly seasons. I've only managed to find an opponent once when I queued up for online seasons with Canada. Guess I'll just have to stick to good ol' Chelsea and Liverpool.

(really wish they added the NWSL and few other women's leagues though)

I love Christine Sinclair :love: I remember that game against the USA in the Olympic Games of 2012, I been to watch England Ladies a couple times and I go watch Aston Villa Ladies when I can. We actually have a women's football thread up already
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5088768

Quick Reply