The Student Room Group

I'm a pilot AMA

Scroll to see replies

have you always wanted to be a pilot?
Reply 61
Good questions!
1. No. However, propeller powered aircraft will yaw when the power setting is changed due to torque from the engines and the airflow over the wings, the secondary effect of yaw is roll, so it can happen.

2. I did an integrated course and would say if you have the money, that's the best. It's the fastest way, seems to offer the best quality of training, and most people get jobs very quickly with the help of the school.

3. Yeah, we all lived together on campus so were around each other all the time. Best time of my life, was really fun! If you mean pilots already flying, it was just if you knew someone, but airline-sponsored students usually had a mentor who was a pilot flying for their airline to help them along. Pilots would also come and visit and give talks, as I did with some friends recently.

4. That's an Airbus-specific callout, it's just a reminder to close the throttles, the idea being to help out during a busy part of the flight. During an autoland it is a command, however. (We can talk a lot about the autothrust here, I'll leave it at that :biggrin:)

5. Wouldn't say no to the A380 😊

6. We use VORs quite a lot, we use them as waypoints to navigate between, but mostly for VOR approaches when an ILS is unavailable. In light aircraft without GPS VORs are very important for IFR navigation!

7. FTEJerez, I won't talk about funding on here but I completed the course, so.. somehow :biggrin:

8. Working my way up to 1000 now.

9. Unfortunately there aren't any scholarships available for flight training. Some schools will help banks let you have a loan, but that's literally just a loan you have to repay. Some airlines (mine included 😊) will pay for your type rating which can save you a big burden, but those are unfortunately very few. One big UK airline will slowly repay your training cost as you work, but I'm not entirely sure of the details (they have a LHR heavy presence :wink: ) We're hoping for scholarships to be available some day!

Good luck on your training and your CPL!!! Feel free to message with any questions!

Original post by Bulletzone
Why do fixed wing aircraft bank left whenever i apply the throttle?

What would you recommend is the best way (In your opinion to becoming a pilot)?

Did you have many contacts with pilots whilst you were training?

Would you ever want to fly the a380? (An amazing plane)

Why does the GPWS callout say retard Lmao, in all my years of studying aviation I've never actually found out...

Do pilots still use VOR navigation nowadays?
What flight school did you go to and how did you fund for your training?How many hours do you have?How exactly do the scholarships work because from what it seems its like you have to pay £69k to get a bond and etc.Currently the only pilot I know and I hope one day I too may attain my CPL
Reply 62
Yep 😊

Original post by entertainmyfaith
have you always wanted to be a pilot?
Original post by AYRnet
😂😂 oh always, all the time 😜

Thats chilling😅😂😂
Whats the highest cruising altitude you have been at?

boeing 747 or airbus a380?

Are you allowed to disclose the flight (cost) index you use? Because whenever I'm simming I always enter 31 and I feel thats too high.

do you enjoy flight planning? (I hate it)

Is it FMC or FMS?

Do ATC really talk fast?

Have you ever messed up an IFR clearance?

On a scale from 1-10 how busy is the EGLL Airspace?

Have you had passengers clap yet when you landed?

whats the lowest fpm you have ever had on touchdown? Basically what was your descent rate on touchdown in feet per minute?
(edited 6 years ago)
When you are in a stall, don't pull back on the stick
What's the most G's you have felt?

Have you ever called rotate and the V1 and V2 call outs?
(Could you one day please say rotaté just for me)

Furthest flight you have flown? Flight plan would be greately appreciated (Not obliged)

When you were doing your PPL what was your favourite aircraft?

what would you say was the most difficult part of your flight training?

What do you preder landings or takeoffs?
Reply 67
Hi,
1. Love the Bus, but would have to go with 747 :wink:
2. 31 is a good guess! At my airline we use CIs in the high 20s, low cost airlines use cost indexes 10 or below. The CI we use on the day is decided for each flight by ops and printed on the flight plan.
3. We don't make our own flight plans, ops make them and we log into a system to download them. In training I enjoyed planning though. If ou mean Flight Planning the subject, I quite liked it too, but it's a preference, a lot of people didn't enjoy it (I enjoyed General Navigation as well, which many people hate :biggrin: )
3. Neither really, the FMC (flight management computer) forms part of the FMS (flight management system), which collects various inputs. The name of the console itself with the keyboard depends on the aircraft, on the Airbus we call it the MCDU.
4. Not really fast, depends on the controller but most are okay. In the US they can go fast but they have less of a foreign accent problem then here in Europe where you fly over many countries in one flight. You get used to the radios quite quickly.
5. It's fairly common to make an incorrect readback but ATC are quick to correct. Fortunately I've never bust a clearance.
6. The vast majority of UK airspace is very busy, especially in the south, including EGLL's airspace. I'd say a 9, 10 during peak hours. The ATCs are very very good though, I've had more difficult flights into quiet airports than into Gatwick or Manchester, for example!
7. Yeah :biggrin:
8. Can't say the rate of descent since I was flying and looking out, but I didn't even feel we'd landed :biggrin: We aim for perfection!

Whats the highest cruising altitude you have been at?

boeing 747 or airbus a380?

Are you allowed to disclose the flight (cost) index you use? Because whenever I'm simming I always enter 31 and I feel thats too high.

do you enjoy flight planning? (I hate it)

Is it FMC or FMS?

Do ATC really talk fast?

Have you ever messed up an IFR clearance?

On a scale from 1-10 how busy is the EGLL Airspace?

Have you had passengers clap yet when you landed?

whats the lowest fpm you have ever had on touchdown? Basically what was your descent rate on touchdown in feet per minute?
Reply 68
Sound advice. :biggrin:

Original post by HighFructose
When you are in a stall, don't pull back on the stick
Do you have to like ‘learn’ a route and practice it before you’re let to fly it as a pilot?

Do you go somewhere different everyday? Or do you get given the same route ao that you’re familiar with it?

How do you go from above the clouds amd seeing literally nothing to hitting the exact right spot on the runway?! That always amazes me - I barely know which country we’re in, never mind where the runway is!!

Is the view you get from the cabin different to what we see? Like do you see the earth when descending more clear than the passengers do?

If you fly to somewhere on a short-haul flight, do you fly the return journey home on the same day?
Do you hold a degree?

Funnily enough, my dad is an Engineer for Airbus and a lot of his colleagues developed a passion for planes and ended up as commercial pilots. I have just never understood the definitive path to becoming a pilot tbh.
Reply 71
Hi again :biggrin:

1. Don't know, we don't get a readout of G force unless we exceed a given amount, fortunately I haven't seen that come up on a flight!
2. When you are pilot monitoring you call 100 knots, V1, and rotate. Pilot flying calls checked at 100kts and nothing other than that. I don't think any company calls V2.
3. EGNT-HEGN (Newcastle-Hurghada), just over 6.5hrs. Don't have the flight plan any more and can't send those out I'm afraid.
4. For training I've only flown the PA28 and the DA42, both were great. The PA28 was more fun since we flew solo on it, but the DA42 is just gorgeous (hard to taxy though..). My favourite in general has to be the Concorde but that ain't happening!
5. Personally I found Meteorology the most difficult subject, that's different for everyone though. Overall the most difficult thing would be to keep up with all the information, it's non stop and if you fall behind you're screwed.
6. Landings!

What's the most G's you have felt?

Have you ever called rotate and the V1 and V2 call outs?
(Could you one day please say rotaté just for me)

Furthest flight you have flown? Flight plan would be greately appreciated (Not obliged)

When you were doing your PPL what was your favourite aircraft?

what would you say was the most difficult part of your flight training?

What do you preder landings or takeoffs?
Reply 72
Hi,
1. No route learning, just fly the flight plan pretty much. Routes change day to day based on wind, airspace restrictions, etc., so a flight between the same places can go a completely different way even just a few hours apart.
2. Different place every day usually, sometimes you fly the same route a few times in a row but it's just the way your "roster" (timetable/schedule) is generated.
3. We fly on instruments, so when we have no visual reference (in clouds or fog, for example) we're just looking at our screens. We programme a flight plan into the computer before each flight, and the autopilot follows that, or we can fly it manually, even without looking outside! We can also fly headings ("radar vectors") assigned to us by air traffic control. Once we get near the airport we begin the approach, usually based on a ground-based radio navigation aid, sometimes based on GPS. The most accurate of these, called an ILS, guides you both vertically and horizontally, so you land on exactly the right spot every time! They are extremely (!!!) accurate. Dedicated training allows us to do this, it's an addon to your licence called an Instrument Rating.
4. The cockpit windows are huge, so we have a great view, it's one of the best parts of the job! They wrap around, so we can see over 180 degrees either side.
5. We usually spend an hour on the ground, then fly back. Low cost airlines like to use 30 minutes. We can legally fly a certain number of hours before needing to land, that number is determined by the number of flights ("sectors":wink: we have planned, and the "report time" -- the time we show up to the crew room.

Original post by Potato456
Do you have to like ‘learn’ a route and practice it before you’re let to fly it as a pilot?

Do you go somewhere different everyday? Or do you get given the same route ao that you’re familiar with it?

How do you go from above the clouds amd seeing literally nothing to hitting the exact right spot on the runway?! That always amazes me - I barely know which country we’re in, never mind where the runway is!!

Is the view you get from the cabin different to what we see? Like do you see the earth when descending more clear than the passengers do?

If you fly to somewhere on a short-haul flight, do you fly the return journey home on the same day?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 73
Hi, I don't have a degree, I went straight to flight school since I knew this was what I wanted to do and didn't want to delay it. Most of my course mates did the same, or dropped out at some point to start flying.

In short, the path is start a flying course, and go as far as you want. With an integrated course you go from 0 to commercial, with a modular course you can stop at a PPL, for example. After that, you just need to find a job. Once you know what aircraft you'll fly, you complete a type rating course -- specific to that aircraft, and then you're good to go! A degree is not a requirement and airlines don't really care as long as you have your licence.

Cool! Your dad's job is great, thanks for keeping our planes running well!

Original post by Piña colada
Do you hold a degree?

Funnily enough, my dad is an Engineer for Airbus and a lot of his colleagues developed a passion for planes and ended up as commercial pilots. I have just never understood the definitive path to becoming a pilot tbh.
Hows the money?
Reply 75
It's good, the exact amount depends on the number of flights, any flights away from home base and/or nightstops, and any overtime done that month. Can't say an exact amount but it's quite comfortable.

Original post by The RAR
Hows the money?
I'm thinking of doing FTE Jerez's Flightdeck+ program, is your airline (UK operator with A321 and A330) recruit modular cadets from FTE?

Also how is life at FTE:

Whats the Accommodation Like?
How much free time do you get in Advanced flight training phases (CPL, MEIR)?
How hard is training in terms of intensity and work required?
What is the final airline placement like, do you have interviews, assessments and can you pick which airlines you want to go with, and if you can be based at home?

Thanks
Original post by AYRnet
Hi,
The most accurate of these, called an ILS, guides you both vertically and horizontally, so you land on exactly the right spot every time! They are extremely (!!!) accurate. Dedicated training allows us to do this, it's an addon to your licence called an Instrument Rating.

Wasn't the ILS so accurate they had to put a margin of error because the planes would land at the same point on the runway every time :/

How do you actually keep within the taxi lines? Like the view from the cockpit is so high up and if you're in a long plane such as the A321 (Relative to the A319) then Taxiing must be a nightmare?
Original post by AYRnet
Title speaks for itself 😊 (commercial pilot, not private)

are there any sources/website that you would recomment for a 17 year old wannabe pilot to learn from? i am struggling understanding stuff like Yaw, FMS, ECAM etc.
Reply 79
Hi, I did my training at FTE and it was a great experience. At my airline we have recruited modular students from there as well.

Accommodation is nice, everything is on campus so no commute, all rooms are your own and en suite which is very nice. If you "make your room yours" and buy any necessities or things you want to personalise it with you won't want to leave. I still miss my FTE room!

In terms of free time it depends on your instructor and if you're ahead/behind schedule, together with the other students with that instructor. If you're ahead you'll have quite a bit of free time, if you're behind you'll be flying a lot, but it's always doable. I had a good balance and was between on target and ahead, with quite a lot of free time. Remember even when you're flying you pretty much have the rest of the day off.

Since you'll be joining during the flying phase already, I'll just talk about that. Your instructor will expect you to be well prepared, but they also appreciate you're there to learn, so they'll obviously help you during flights/sims. I found the flying quite comfortable, the only real preparation you need is to read a part of the study guide and/or plan a flight and send the flight plan, which is quite reasonable and much less work than the groundschool phase. If you have more than two flights a day it can get busy, but remember that won't happen every day, so don't worry.

Airline placement is very good, as long as you do well they'll recommend you to any airline you're eligible for, and help prepare you for the interview. They're in talks with airlines all the time so there's always something, and if you leave FTE before an airline comes along, they'll stay in touch with you until you're working. They're also in contact with the recruiters so provide good and accurate interview/assessment preparation before you go in. As for whether you can choose, arguably you can, but when you're straight out of training, even with a very good flight school, you're lucky to have a job, so I'd avoid being choosy about airline and base at this stage. Obviously if you're accepted in more than one airline, the choice is yours. Where you're based depends on the airline and how much choice they give you, but again, better to have a job away from home and then move back than to have nothing at all.

Pay them a visit and see how it is! It's a very friendly place, quality of instruction is excellent, and the a/c maintenance is top notch as well. Jerez is a fantastic place, small town which has everything you'll need, the seaside is nearby (less than an hour away), Gibraltar is nearby, and Sevilla is less than an hour away if you need a bigger city escape. I really enjoyed my time there and would recommend it to anyone. Feel free to message me with any questions! Best of luck!

Original post by PHInfinity
I'm thinking of doing FTE Jerez's Flightdeck+ program, is your airline (UK operator with A321 and A330) recruit modular cadets from FTE?

Also how is life at FTE:

Whats the Accommodation Like?
How much free time do you get in Advanced flight training phases (CPL, MEIR)?
How hard is training in terms of intensity and work required?
What is the final airline placement like, do you have interviews, assessments and can you pick which airlines you want to go with, and if you can be based at home?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest