The Student Room Group

Looking for a career with high pay (and moderately fast promotion)

I am a 23 year old arts student, currently studying on a vocational course (non degree) funding myself 100%. I have recently been debating whether or not I want to continue looking for a career in the arts - the money is dire and there are not enough jobs. I think I have been kidding myself for a while now about my prospects.

Edit: I don't mind if the route is a difficult route

What I am looking for:
-Something with a high salary.
-Something with a good career progression.
-Something to be proud of.
-Something moderately interesting

What I am good at:
-Being assertive / leading
-Persuasion
-Creative subjects such as art, music, dance.
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking
-Good with computers and basic programming knowledge

My qualifications:
-A levels in Drama, Music, History, Media
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

Careers I have considered so far include:
-Teaching
-RAF

I would appreciate any recommendations with entry requirements.
I don't currently hold a degree so a job requiring a degree would also be suitable.

I appreciate your time :smile: Hope you can help give me ideas :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i would say dont look into something that is just for money you have to also love the job u are doing
foe example
i love art
art is my life in my spare time i always draw cartoons and characters so when im older im going to look into illustration
which BTW u would get quiet alot of money
so do something u love doing like one of ur hobbies and im sure there are ways and opportunities were ull get alot of money
Original post by batya leon
i would say dont look into something that is just for money you have to also love the job u are doing
foe example
i love art
art is my life in my spare time i always draw cartoons and characters so when im older im going to look into illustration
which BTW u would get quiet alot of money
so do something u love doing like one of ur hobbies and im sure there are ways and opportunities were ull get alot of money

Yeah sure, but I'm looking for alternatives for the following reasons:

-My mum wants me to move out. I won't be able to support myself so I need either university or a full time job which leads to a career.

-It's stressful finding a jobs in the arts field.
true
r u good at illustrating u can earn around £65,000 a year i think
true

lol
I don't know your design/art abilities but possibly product design ?
Isn't this all that anyone wants?

A high paying and high powered career, and something to be proud of. This is literally what everyone wants.
Original post by Flying Pig
I am a 23 year old arts student, currently studying on a vocational course (non degree) funding myself 100%. I have recently been debating whether or not I want to continue looking for a career in the arts - the money is dire and there are not enough jobs. I think I have been kidding myself for a while now about my prospects.

What I am looking for:

What I am good at:
-Persuasion
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking

My qualifications:
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

-Teaching
-RAF

I don't currently hold a degree so a job requiring a degree would also be suitable.

Professional Footballer
YouTuber with 1m subs +
Area Manager of a large national/multinational chain
Actor
Successful Music Artist
Member of Parliament

Trying o think of jobs you dont need a degree for which pay well

Dont think youll get a high paying job straight out of A-Levels tbh, and btw if you went to uni, where would you live in the Summer??
Original post by CambridgeAppli

A high paying and high powered career, and something to be proud of. This is literally what everyone wants.

not everyone
i want to do something i love and wont get bored of it
nothing to do with money
Reply 9
😂 you just mugged OP off. But the truth hurts and there was no other way to phrase that.
not everyone
i want to do something i love and wont get bored of it
nothing to do with money

The thread title literally says "high pay".

Literally, EVERYONE who is serious about their career, which is the vast majority of everyone, wants a job with high pay, something you won't get bored with, fast promotion, i.e everything described.

I'll save all the "shoot for the stars" crap, if your in arts you'll probably have trouble finding any job, at least immediately. End of.
(edited 6 years ago)
You could also start your own business OP. Be your own boss, screw having one!

A successful business would be something to be proud of, even if it doesn't make you millions
nothing to do with money

Unless you're already rich that is a lie. Would you work 40+ hours a week doing something you love for free? The reality is you need money to support yourself and your family.
Original post by CambridgeAppli

What I thought!

true

Are you serious? That's like the wage of a qualified psychologist with years of experience. :lol:

What I am looking for:

What I am good at:
-Persuasion
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking

My qualifications:
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

-Teaching
-RAF

Pretty much any job you wish to earn a good wage in, nowadays, requires a degree. You could be an art teacher, they need more teachers.
Original post by HateOCR
😂 you just mugged OP off. But the truth hurts and there was no other way to phrase that.

The point I was making is that I wouldn't mind retraining completely.

Exactly, I've realised this and need to change it. Retrain, do something else. You can always do something else - I could take A Levels with a private tutor and then do a degree?

Original post by hannxm
What I thought!

Are you serious? That's like the wage of a qualified psychologist with years of experience. :lol:

Pretty much any job you wish to earn a good wage in, nowadays, requires a degree. You could be an art teacher, they need more teachers.

I was thinking as teaching being an option.

What I am looking for:

What I am good at:
-Persuasion
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking

My qualifications:
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

-Teaching
-RAF

1. With what you listed you just want a career that offers everything, chances are, you will have to comprise somewhere/in multiple places (at least at the start of your career)

2. You said you're interested in art but you havent said what area of the art world you want to work in, I cant give relevant advice without that (ie concept artist, illustrator, animator, tattoo artist, technical artist, fine artist etc etc) as some are easier to get into than others and all the routes are different

3. If you havent done a degree yet and can go for any degree (even if that means doing some alevels first) then any career path is potentially open to you really (doctor, dentist, nurse, engineer, any finance role etc etc etc)

4. You could become a programmer if you increase your skill level, that pays well and is challenging (and rewarding to some people, do you enjoy it?)
The careers with the steepest pay curves are: front office finance, corporate law and consulting. All of these start fairly high and have 15-25%+ year-on-year comp increases if you don't get fired or burn out. Exit opportunities afford you a variety of options if you do need to leave your role for whatever reason.

Careers with high starting comp and a more logarithmic pay increase are: product roles in top technology companies, geologists in oil&gas/mining companies, engineers in oil and gas or luxury construction. Management opportunities are available if you have the right skills and want to take your comp to another level.

Other careers with a more linear increase in pay but high-sh plateaus at the top are: Medicine, Dentistry, Accounting, Actuarial Science etc

Careers where earning potential is directly proportional to talent, looks, luck, network and perseverance:
acting, sales, modelling, private banking/private wealth management, youtube, music, sports, entrepreneurship etc

Careers where earning potential is directly proportional to talent and luck:
design, art, photography and architecture

You are bound to compromise on time/health/lifestyle if you want to make it to the top of the compensation scale - regardless of career.

Everything else is basically a life of occasional (mostly insignificant) pay rises with stalling at middle management being the best outcome pay-wise.

Barriers to entry is a whole other discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey Flying Pig,

Thanks for posting! This is a really good question.

Is your vocational course in art, or is it art related?

It really depends on the type of arts job you want to pursue.

Fine Artists often need to combine selling their art work with a part-time or full-time job, especially when starting out, to ensure a steady income.

However, there are tons of other career paths in the arts such as make-up artist, art therapist, advertising art director, graphic designer. Graduate roles tend to pay a basic salary, but as you progress in your career there is a lot of earning potential in these fields.

As another user has suggested, I would personally recommend pursuing a career path you are genuinely interested in, as this will bring you the most fulfillment. This doesn't necessarily have to be an arts-related career path... skills you will have practiced as part of your course such as creativity are invaluable to most job roles.

I hope that helps!

Claire :biggrin::biggrin:

What I am looking for:

What I am good at:
-Persuasion
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking

My qualifications:
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

-Teaching
-RAF

What I am looking for:

What I am good at:
-Persuasion
-Being convincing
-Critical thinking

My qualifications:
-13 GCSEs grades A* - C

-Teaching
-RAF

(edited 6 years ago)
What country do you live in? The NHS is in shambles

Original post by madmadmax321
1. With what you listed you just want a career that offers everything, chances are, you will have to comprise somewhere/in multiple places (at least at the start of your career)

2. You said you're interested in art but you havent said what area of the art world you want to work in, I cant give relevant advice without that (ie concept artist, illustrator, animator, tattoo artist, technical artist, fine artist etc etc) as some are easier to get into than others and all the routes are different

3. If you havent done a degree yet and can go for any degree (even if that means doing some alevels first) then any career path is potentially open to you really (doctor, dentist, nurse, engineer, any finance role etc etc etc)

4. You could become a programmer if you increase your skill level, that pays well and is challenging (and rewarding to some people, do you enjoy it?)

I study Musical Theatre and wanted to be a performer.
What country do you live in? The NHS is in shambles

I study Musical Theatre and wanted to be a performer.

You say that but a doctor does tick the good money, good progression, respected career boxes though it might be hard work but most high paying careers will be, and it is very rewarding for people that are interested in it

Not sure I would describe that as art (in the sense that most people mean when talking about careers) so cant help you there i'm afraid
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending