The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CurranLad
Anybody commenting in this actually from Northern Ireland and know what goes on lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anybody commenting in this actually from Northern Ireland and know what goes on lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

See post 92 an Irish Bloke told me that
Reply 121

Oh joy, the nationalists' lament: you don't come from 'ere, so you can't possibly understand how things work.

When it comes to discussing political and social trends, quite often a bit of distance is actually useful.
Original post by Zander01
I wrote out a reply but technological failure led to it disappearing so I'll reply tomorrow.

What I will say just now though is that when you're discussing the best interests of a nation and its people, then you kind of have to take into account the general consensus... so yes my argument ad populum would appear to be valid in this case. What you have just committed there is the Fallacy fallacy just fyi.

Now I don't know if you've been trolling me or somehow un-ironically demonstrating the no true Scotsman fallacy repeatedly but either way that must be embarrassing.

What? No, you don't have to take into account the "general consensus". It doesn't follow that what is best for the country is what the majority of the people in that country think is best for them. The majority of people in many countries have often made decisions that were dreadful for their country.
Original post by william walker
I am a Loyalist and a High Tory. The SNP and IRA political wing want to destroy the institutions I support.

I hate the orange sash bowler hat wearing idiots the tory ukip sun reading white van driving poppy wearing facists

God Bless Martin McGuiness
Original post by william walker
I am a Loyalist and a High Tory. The SNP and IRA political wing want to destroy the institutions I support.
I for one support Sinn Fein SNP and Plaid Cymru. What the IRA did to certain parts of England or indeed what the Nazis did to the Jews is nothing compared to what the English did to the Irish but try telling that to some bowler hat sash wearing numptie or a white van driving daily mail sun reading poppy facist
Reply 125
Original post by 8 I Brexit
I for one support Sinn Fein SNP and Plaid Cymru. What the IRA did to certain parts of England or indeed what the Nazis did to the Jews is nothing compared to what the English did to the Irish but try telling that to some bowler hat sash wearing numptie or a white van driving daily mail sun reading poppy facist

Try telling that to any reasonable person and they'll think you're both an antisemite and a lunatic. Indeed, I am disgusted by you.
Original post by L i b
Try telling that to any reasonable person and they'll think you're both an antisemite and a lunatic. Indeed, I am disgusted by you.

Typical some English don't like people who disagree with them
What you lot did to the Ireland India South Africa Iraq Afghanistan and many other countries is despicable
As for being anti Semite no what the Nazis did to the Jews was terrible
but many Jews play on the holocaust especially when it gives them the right to give the Palestinians a hard time
As for being a lunatic well I brought up a daughter who is studying for a medical Phd, I myself have a masters plus I have raised over 4000 euros for save the children, its just that I speak my mind which many English don't like. Happy New Year to you
Reply 127
Typical some English don't like people who disagree with them

Don't make an ass of yourself by assuming things. I'm not English.

As for being anti Semite no what the Nazis did to the Jews was terrible
but many Jews play on the holocaust especially when it gives them the right to give the Palestinians a hard time

"Many Jews play on the holocaust". Are you seriously trying to give moral lectures while espousing that sort of vile rubbish.

I suspect you're also an anti-English bigot from the nonsense you've spouted here and the rather misdirected attack on the nationality you've assumed I have.
Original post by L i b
Don't make an ass of yourself by assuming things. I'm not English.

"Many Jews play on the holocaust". Are you seriously trying to give moral lectures while espousing that sort of vile rubbish.

I suspect you're also an anti-English bigot from the nonsense you've spouted here and the rather misdirected attack on the nationality you've assumed I have.

no I am not anti English but I do find the English overall very cold, unfriendly especially down South
So where are you from ? I am Irish by birth, family moved abroad to England where we subjected to racism then moved to Germany where we were treated very well. I now live in France where the people are fantastic contrary to the jingoistic little Englanders who read the Sun, sorry look at the Sun they probably cant read
I am entitled to my opinions but I do not hate the Jews Peter Sellers is my favourite comedian, English Rolling Stones my favourite Rock Group or Northern Irish People of the Protestant Faith George Best is my Football Hero although I do not support the team he played for.
So please do reply perhaps we could meet for a pint and have a civilised debate I am in the UK travelling to watch Ireland play England at Twickers old boy so jolly good show toodle pip
I can't speak for SF because I don't know a great deal about them but as far as SNP it's probably because they don't understand it because they don't actually live in Scotland where the benefits are felt i.e. free prescriptions and free tuitions fees. Either way regardless of how much they hate SNP English people have NO say in the independence vote so they are ultimately wasting their own time because SNP are appreciated in Scotland where it really matters
(edited 6 years ago)
Scotland and Northern Ireland are a part of the United Kingdom, a sovereign country. That cannot be “imperialism”.
Original post by CaitlinM1
I can't speak for SF because I don't know a great deal about them but as far as SNP it's probably because they don't understand it because they don't actually live in Scotland where the benefits are felt i.e. free prescriptions and free tuitions fees. Either way regardless of how much they hate SNP English people have NO say in the independence vote so they are ultimately wasting their own time because SNP are appreciated in Scotland where it really matters
I have lived in Scotland , the SNP have done a great deal for the Scottish people. I think the UK in its present format has had its day, the UK Government represents England in particular the South not the North or The Midlands, certainly not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, where I cannot understand the DUP and their fanatical supporters are obsessed ay being British their IRISH FULL STOP. They need to realise Ireland is in the 21st Century and Brexit is taking the UK back to the dark ages.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
Scotland and Northern Ireland are a part of the United Kingdom, a sovereign country. That cannot be “imperialism”.

I have lived in Scotland , the SNP have done a great deal for the Scottish people. I think the UK in its present format has had its day, the UK Government represents England in particular the South not the North or The Midlands, certainly not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, where I cannot understand the DUP and their fanatical supporters are obsessed ay being British their IRISH FULL STOP. They need to realise Ireland is in the 21st Century and Brexit is taking the UK back to the dark ages.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
I see you have a picture of the wonderful Mrs T drinking T pity it wasn't laced with arsenic
Reply 134
I see you have a picture of the wonderful Mrs T drinking T pity it wasn't laced with arsenic

Maggy Thatcher the milk snatcher :L
Reply 135
Original post by CaitlinM1

All the people of the UK have a say over constitutional issues in the UK through our elected House of Commons. In case you missed it, it was the UK Parliament that set down the initial legislation for a Scottish independence referendum in 2014 as part of an agreed process between the UK and Scottish Governments. Last year, when Nicola Sturgeon called for another, the request was refused by the Prime Minister. Back in advance of 2014, the UK Government had a clear role ensuring the fairness of the vote: scrutinising the nature of the question to be asked, insisting on oversight by the Electoral Commission and so on.

On a domestic policy platform, we know well that Scotland gets disproportionately high public spending as a result of the UK Government's funding decisions. If the SNP want to spend it on free prescriptions and free tuition, that is their call - but I would reject any idea that is a good use of that extra funding they receive.

Free prescriptions are little more than a hand-out for the comfortable middle classes. Prior to them being free, well over 9 in 10 prescriptions were already dispensed free of charge anyway, and over 50% of people were exempt from fees. Those that remained were perfectly capable of affording them: the net effect was simply to suck tens of millions out of other parts of the NHS.

In terms of free tuition, again the detail makes for pretty shabby reading. Scotland has, in a large part because of the SNP's approach here, the very worst record in the UK for getting young people from disadvantaged backgrounds into university. That effect has been brought about by the cap on student places that free tuition has required: no such cap exists in England. Free tuition has also seen enormously disproportionate cuts to its further education colleges in Scotland, a legacy that I suspect will be with us long after the SNP administration have left office.
Reply 136

Obviously the people of Northern Ireland are not "Irish full stop". Many may identify with being Irish - hell, even Ian Paisley called himself an Irishman - but are comfortable with a British or Northern Irish identity too. Objectively, the vast majority of people who live in Northern Ireland are British citizens.

I don't really see why you're so worried about Brexit when you're happy to endorse the break-up of the UK. On every metric imaginable, breaking up Britain would be far more damaging for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland than Brexit ever could be - and I say that as a Remainer.
Original post by L i b
Obviously the people of Northern Ireland are not "Irish full stop". Many may identify with being Irish - hell, even Ian Paisley called himself an Irishman - but are comfortable with a British or Northern Irish identity too. Objectively, the vast majority of people who live in Northern Ireland are British citizens.

I don't really see why you're so worried about Brexit when you're happy to endorse the break-up of the UK. On every metric imaginable, breaking up Britain would be far more damaging for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland than Brexit ever could be - and I say that as a Remainer.
Ian Paisley realised that conflict was futile hence the peace process Blairs greatest legacy. But now we have tyrant in charge of the DUP who wants a hard border which is going to lead to conflict, If Scotland Wales and a United Ireland remained in the EU they would be considerably better off companies would want to invest leaving poor old England behind to the days of Enid Blyton The Famous Five Jolly Hockey Sticks. Why are so many British people seeking their ancestry so they can get a EU passport
Reply 138
Ian Paisley realised that conflict was futile hence the peace process Blairs greatest legacy. But now we have tyrant in charge of the DUP who wants a hard border which is going to lead to conflict, If Scotland Wales and a United Ireland remained in the EU they would be considerably better off companies would want to invest leaving poor old England behind to the days of Enid Blyton The Famous Five Jolly Hockey Sticks.

Why are so many British people seeking their ancestry so they can get a EU passport

They're not. Hell, about 20% of people in the UK don't even hold any passport. I'm sure there's the odd faux-cosmopolitan poseur out there who has absolutely no use for a French or Irish passport shelling out the odd few quid for a talking point down the pub, but to pretend that's a widespread thing is just silly.

I don't see why a "hard border" or any border should lead to conflict. Not that there is going to be one - but in any case, why should inspection of cross-border goods be considered something to fight about?

We have been in the EU for well over 40 years and still EU companies do not invest substantially. Foreign direct investment in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland represents a small part of their economies. Meanwhile, in places like Scotland, trade with the rest of the UK is worth five times as much as trade with all 27 other EU member-states put together. The idea that countries cutting themselves off from their biggest markets would benefit their economies is bonkers - and that doesn't even consider the huge loss of fiscal transfers that these places receive.

The EU isn't some sort of magic money-generating machine. It increases trade, but the United Kingdom - a far closer and more harmonised single market - is worth much, much more to the countries within it.
Original post by L i b
They're not. Hell, about 20% of people in the UK don't even hold any passport. I'm sure there's the odd faux-cosmopolitan poseur out there who has absolutely no use for a French or Irish passport shelling out the odd few quid for a talking point down the pub, but to pretend that's a widespread thing is just silly.

I don't see why a "hard border" or any border should lead to conflict. Not that there is going to be one - but in any case, why should inspection of cross-border goods be considered something to fight about?

We have been in the EU for well over 40 years and still EU companies do not invest substantially. Foreign direct investment in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland represents a small part of their economies. Meanwhile, in places like Scotland, trade with the rest of the UK is worth five times as much as trade with all 27 other EU member-states put together. The idea that countries cutting themselves off from their biggest markets would benefit their economies is bonkers - and that doesn't even consider the huge loss of fiscal transfers that these places receive.

The EU isn't some sort of magic money-generating machine. It increases trade, but the United Kingdom - a far closer and more harmonised single market - is worth much, much more to the countries within it.

The hard border would cause immense problems and potential conflict clearly you know nothing about Ireland.
As for Scotland and Wales they have been starved of investment by the English who want to concentrate on the South East and London. Scotland and Wales have received massive EU investment Europe over the years and this has helped their economy. Why are you scared of the UK breaking up maybe England is reliant on their other neighbours reinventing themselves with EU assistance. The single market has created wealth in Europe to many countries who would not have experienced any prosperity Also in UK there is a big divide between rich/poor where the divide is much smaller in many EU countries.

Latest

Trending

Trending