The Student Room Group

What do you think are the 5 poshest unis?

What do you think are the 5 poshest unis? And does a uni's poshness attract or repel you?

DON'T look up the % state/private school.... because this is about the perception you have about the poshness of the university experience rather than the data you know on how wealthy the students are
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Exeter, Oxford, St Andrew's, bristol, Durham

And then you've also got all the artsy unis that arent really unis like Royal academy of music. Obviously full of rich kids who dont care about their future
Oxford, Durham, Cambridge, St Andrews, Exeter

If you're including tiny unis, then probably the Courtald Institute instead of Exeter
Original post by jamesman13jf72
What do you think are the 5 poshest unis? And does a uni's poshness attract or repel you?

DON'T look up the % state/private school.... because this is about the perception you ave about the poshness of the university experience rather than the data you know on how wealthy the students are

Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, Exeter, St Andrews, Bath, Edinburgh, UCL, Newcastle, Oxford Brookes

Royal Agri and the conservatories as well.

I mean, I get called posh by some exeter people (decidedly not the poshest ones) so.. not really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Durham and St Andrews. The only university in that list that does not appeal to me is Exeter as I've heard it is very pretentious and there are better universities in London without the drama.
Exeter, Durham, Cambridge, Oxford, St Andrews - and honourable mentions to University of Gloucestershire and Royal Veterinary College.
Original post by squamouscell123
Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Durham and St Andrews. The only university in that list that does not appeal to me is Exeter as I've heard it is very pretentious and there are better universities in London without the drama.

It's not that bad tbh.. Sure, you notice that a lot of people here fit a stereotype but when you look past it, doesn't really matter. It's more noticeable in catered accomodation than self-catered, and there are more of the latter than former.

Durham's probably worse with all the traditions and stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by merlynnn

And then you've also got all the artsy unis that arent really unis like Royal academy of music. Obviously full of rich kids who dont care about their future

Or maybe they're just trying to get away from inverse-snobbery.
Original post by Trinculo
Exeter, Durham, Cambridge, Oxford, St Andrews - and honourable mentions to University of Gloucestershire and Royal Veterinary College.

Are you sure about Glos?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trinculo
Or maybe they're just trying to get away from inverse-snobbery.

Still proves my point that they take education as joke.
What makes people say Newcastle in a lot of these forums? Is it because of private school percentage or personal experience?
Original post by Princepieman
Are you sure about Glos?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, because it would include Norland College, which only teaches one degree, has a few hundred students, but manages to field three polo teams.
Original post by jamesman13jf72

DON'T look up the % state/private school.... because this is about the perception you ave about the poshness of the university experience rather than the data you know on how wealthy the students are

Doesn't attract/repel me at all. I'm state-school educated from a fairly deprived town if that matters at all.

I'd say Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, St Andrews (and then as an honourable mention, Edinburgh)

I'm at Edinburgh (which is apparently seen as 'posh' by some people) - but I do CompSci which seems to be full of down to earth people (same for the engineers that I've met). I've been told by a few people that 'poshness' at universities really only surfaces in the arts and humanities (especially Classics, apparently). I don't know how true this is, but yeah.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by scpfcib
What makes people say Newcastle in a lot of these forums? Is it because of private school percentage or personal experience?

It's where the posh party kids go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still proves my point that they take education as joke.

It depends on one's view of education. If it is restricted to only the measurable and a rather slim array of subjects. I don't see why performing music, musical theatre, or learning Akkadian or Aramaic are "joke" education. That's a rather narrow and if I might say - anti-education view of.....education.
Reply 16
Exeter, Oxford, St Andrew's, bristol, Durham

Rich kids with Mickey Mouse degrees get cushy jobs via family connections while waiting for their inheritance.
Original post by Maker
Rich kids with Mickey Mouse degrees get cushy jobs via family connections while waiting for their inheritance.

Sadly this is true.
Reply 18
Oxbridge, Durham, St. Andrews and Exeter
Original post by Princepieman
It's where the posh party kids go

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. Is that from experience or statistics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending