The Student Room Group

2018 January Conservative Cabinet reshuffle

It is being reported that Prime Minister Theresa May will reshuffle her cabinet tomorrow and Tuesday. This thread is to share predictions on what will happen and to discuss new appointments as they come in tomorrow.

The biggest prize up for grabs is the First Secretary of State, an office last held by Damien Green. The favourite for this is Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

Education secretary Justine Greening is also expected to be demoted along with Chris Grayling and possibly Greg Clark. Among those expected to be promoted are James Cleverly elected in 2015.
Boris Johnson is expected to keep his job despite his recent gaffes.

Do you have any ideas on who should be promoted or fired?
Will Theresa May use to opportunity to promote more Brexiteers like Jacob Rees Mogg?
Would a limited reshuffle indicate her weakness as Prime Minister?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As much as I’d love to see more brexiteers like Rees-Mogg ( especially Rees-Mogg considering his more popular appeal), I don’t think May would be giving us that. If Hunt leaves Health and solely takes on the responsibility of FSoS, Milton would be a good promotion I think, though I can see her being promoted within her own department too if Greening is to go. Johnson I’d like to take on a lesser role ( though if he ends up being replaced, another Brexiteer must replace him) but in the end if May want to appeal to us more, more young Conservatives must take Minister roles
Kwasi Kwarteng really needs to make his way to the cabinet - so hopefully we will see him with a position. Amber Rudd could get First Secretary of State I think. And I'm not quite sure why people think Greening is going to get demoted.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
Kwasi Kwarteng really needs to make his way to the cabinet - so hopefully we will see him with a position. Amber Rudd could get First Secretary of State I think. And I'm not quite sure why people think Greening is going to get demoted.

Kwasi Kwarteng speaks good sense. I too would like to see him in given a job in govt.
Justine and Patrick as well as Chris Grayling and Abdrea getting the chop would be a very good start but we’ll have to see. Even as f they go it is still a resoundingly mediocre government of no hopers.

Would like to see Kemi Badenoch and JRM promoted as well as well as David Davies, Dominic Raab,
Reply 5
If she tries to fill the government with a bunch of the Conservative right and Leave supporters, it will not end well. So far, she's tried - albeit cackhandedly - to maintain a balance: there's a possibility that might now end.

I don't think it'll be a huge reshuffle, nor do I think she'd be sensible to appoint Jeremy Hunt as FSoS or anything else at this time.
Original post by L i b
If she tries to fill the government with a bunch of the Conservative right and Leave supporters, it will not end well. So far, she's tried - albeit cackhandedly - to maintain a balance: there's a possibility that might now end.

I don't think it'll be a huge reshuffle, nor do I think she'd be sensible to appoint Jeremy Hunt as FSoS or anything else at this time.

Who would you like to see in/ out?

Are there any brexit were you would appoint?
I could imagine Jeremy Hunt being leader after May tbh.
Original post by DeBruyne18
I could imagine Jeremy Hunt being leader after May tbh.

Nope, conservative voters wouldn’t be that stupid.
Original post by Davij038
Nope, conservative voters wouldn’t be that stupid.

They might not get a say, as with May. The Tory party membership is much older and more socially Conservative than the average Tory Party voter.

It's the main reason why the party made sure Andrea Leadsom dropped out out the leadership race last time in my opinion. They knew she would have had a good chance of winning if it had gone to the members.

I could just imagine it being Hunt to be honest. I don't like him but he's managed to straddle the Brexit divide well and is an assured media performer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reshuffle to start at 11:30AM - you can view it live here and see speculation before it starts.
Unexpected. NI Secretary resigns for health reasons. Theresa May has another cabinet position to replace.
Unexpected. NI Secretary resigns for health reasons. Theresa May has another cabinet position to replace.

I suspect the vast majority didn't even know he was NI Secretary.

It seems like this reshuffle is going to be somewhat of an anti climax with all the big players staying in place.
Original post by DeBruyne18
I suspect the vast majority didn't even know he was NI Secretary.

It seems like this reshuffle is going to be somewhat of an anti climax with all the big players staying in place.

Well if Chris Grayling is one of those "big players", you're wrong. He's the new party chairman.

EDIT: Just noticed it hasn't been confirmed yet. He could be though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Now the BBC is reporting that David Lidington is to be FSoS , leaving Jeremy Hunt without a cabinet position. Any opinions?
Well if Chris Grayling is one of those "big players", you're wrong. He's the new party chairman.

EDIT: Just noticed it hasn't been confirmed yet. He could be though.

Meh. He's still a relative nobody that the average man on the street wouldn't recognise.

The reshuffle seems to be shuffling around minor ministers who most people haven't heard of.
So...when does the reshuffle start....?
Well this ended up being disappointing... I thought some more competent Torys would make the cut ( they still might if someone really wants NI sec)
WTAF @ Justine Greening!?
So May wanted to move Hunt, Hunt disagreed and May backs down.

Strong negotiator indeed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending