The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Why would you risk using it? Contact ucas and ask, that’s the only way to know for sure.
Reply 2
Original post by summer2000
I have used a website called noplag to check my personal statement, and now I am worried that this website will save my work causing me to be flagged by ucas.
Should I be worried?

No, you are fine. It will not save your personal statement. A lot fo people check their personal statements and work on plagerism websites to see if it picks anything. If these wesbites started storing the work of students then it would be meaningless.
You do realise that something you wrote cannot be considered plagiarism, right?
I checked mine on a plagiarism checker too (can't remember which one). Didn't have any issues.

They would be unlikely to save it, and even if they did save it on some kind of internal system for some reason, it wouldn't be "google-able" (or findable by other plagiarism checkers), so you'll be fine. People wouldn't use plagiarism checkers if they automatically published everything you wrote.
Original post by KittyN
I checked mine on a plagiarism checker too (can't remember which one). Didn't have any issues.

They would be unlikely to save it, and even if they did save it on some kind of internal system for some reason, it wouldn't be "google-able" (or findable by other plagiarism checkers), so you'll be fine. People wouldn't use plagiarism checkers if they automatically published everything you wrote.

Exactly, but some are fake
Original post by xBasedChris
You do realise that something you wrote cannot be considered plagiarism, right?

It can be if someone copies it

They wouldn't know who wrote it first
Original post by Bill Nye

And the likelihood of that is extremely small. I'm just questioning why OP felt the need to check in the first place, as I am assuming they did write their own PS.
Original post by Bill Nye

How would they copy it?

Write something original - can even be nonsense words - into a plagiarism checker, then try and search it online. You won't find what you wrote. Why would a plagiarism checker publish what people put into it?
Original post by xBasedChris
And the likelihood of that is extremely small. I'm just questioning why OP felt the need to check in the first place, as I am assuming they did write their own PS.

As some parts can be similar to others, so OP wanted to make sure it was as 'original' as possible, and didn't score too high in the plagiarism test
I wouldn't be. Even though your personal statement may be saved and stored by the service provider, they won't be uploaded publicly. At worst, your statement will be stored on a secure server that UCAS only could gain access to if they underwent some serious hacking. :wink:

Edit: Checked their website and it says that they encrypt all their data, so if UCAS were to gain access to their data, UCAS would need to decipher it first before using it to check against plagiarism. The sole service 'noplag' provide is testing whether or not your work will be detected as plagiarism. If they were to turn your work into plagiarism, then that would defeat the whole purpose of the company (and it would look really bad:tongue:).
(edited 6 years ago)
UCAS Similarity Detection Service compares against every submitted ps on their system as well as websites. A plagiarism detector online can’t search the massive ucas database so is pretty useless in checking whether the ucas system will flag a problem.
Reply 12
If i copied only one sentence from someone’s personal statement would UCAS flag it up to other universities?
Original post by Anidjdj
If i copied only one sentence from someone’s personal statement would UCAS flag it up to other universities?

Necropost mate.

Latest

Trending

Trending