The Student Room Group

Should I apply to LSE? [Urgent]

Considering applying to the Philosophy and Economics course. As of now I only have a American high School diploma but I am taking 8 AP exams in May next year.

Will l still stand a chance if I apply with just predicted AP scores? Should I apply this year?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/countryRegion/northAmerica/USA/entryRequirements.aspx
have you called the uni?
Reply 2
Original post by dentalwaves12
have you called the uni?

No
Original post by AP Macro
Considering applying to the Philosophy and Economics course. As of now I only have a American high School diploma but I am taking 8 AP exams in May next year.

Will l still stand a chance if I apply with just predicted AP scores? Should I apply this year?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/countryRegion/northAmerica/USA/entryRequirements.aspx

Call the uni. I also came from an international background where the requirements for my country were uncertain. An email to the admissions team in September helped clarify that I was, in fact, eligible.
Reply 4
No

That's the thing to do. Only they can answer with any authority.

They have admissions staff waiting to answer questions like this...
Reply 5
Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by 2HBardiche
Call the uni. I also came from an international background where the requirements for my country were uncertain. An email to the admissions team in September helped clarify that I was, in fact, eligible.

Original post by Doonesbury
That's the thing to do. Only they can answer with any authority.

They have admissions staff waiting to answer questions like this...

Hello guys

They said that I am eligible and I need help with my personal statement. I was only able to find one example of a statement for the philosophy and economics course on here. Where can I find more?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/philosophy/philosophy-and-economics-1
Hello guys

They said that I am eligible and I need help with my personal statement. I was only able to find one example of a statement for the philosophy and economics course on here. Where can I find more?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/philosophy/philosophy-and-economics-1

Don't use other statements for inspiration - write your own from scratch. It needs to be personal.

Admissions staff for any statement are looking to answer 3 questions:
a) does the applicant understand what the course they've applied for involves (so talk about topics you're looking forward to studying as part of the course - read the course pages in detail)
b) does the applicant have enough motivation to stick out 3+ years of this degree (so talk about your motivations for wanting to study this course, topics you've already studies that you've enjoyed etc etc)
c) does the applicant have any non-academic skills required to succeed on the course (for an academic course like this there aren't many but the assessing your application section here http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2018/BSc-Philosophy-and-Economics explains what that might be for LSE P&E)
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Don't use other statements for inspiration - write your own from scratch. It needs to be personal.

Admissions staff for any statement are looking to answer 3 questions:
a) does the applicant understand what the course they've applied for involves (so talk about topics you're looking forward to studying as part of the course - read the course pages in detail)
b) does the applicant have enough motivation to stick out 3+ years of this degree (so talk about your motivations for wanting to study this course, topics you've already studies that you've enjoyed etc etc)
c) does the applicant have any non-academic skills required to succeed on the course (for an academic course like this there aren't many but the assessing your application section here http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2018/BSc-Philosophy-and-Economics explains what that might be for LSE P&E)

Thanks! I'm sending off my application soon and just a few have final questions.

I'm taking 8 APs but Lse say they only need 5 so do I need to list all the APs that I'm taking in my application or will it be possible for me to only list 6? Because I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get a 5(A grade) in 2 tests of those 8 tests and whether I will surely take them or not.

And I've worked as a real estate agent and developer. Should I list this on my essay? Will this be considered relevant for my course?

And I've self studied introductory Spanish. Can I list it as an extracurricular?
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks! I'm sending off my application soon and just a few have final questions.

I'm taking 8 APs but Lse say they only need 5 so do I need to list all the APs that I'm taking in my application or will it be possible for me to only list 6? Because I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get a 5(A grade) in 2 tests of those 8 tests and whether I will surely take them or not.

And I've worked as a real estate agent and developer. Should I list this on my essay? Will this be considered relevant for my course?

And I've self studied introductory Spanish. Can I list it as an extracurricular?

You need to list all your APs - they're unlikely to make an offer covering all of them

Your employment needs to be listed in the employment section - unless it's relevant to your academic studies or motivation for choosing a degree then don't include it in your PS.

If you've self studied a language then yes you can mention it in your PS but don't spend too much time on it.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
You need to list all your APs - they're unlikely to make an offer covering all of them

Your employment needs to be listed in the employment section - unless it's relevant to your academic studies or motivation for choosing a degree then don't include it in your PS.

If you've self studied a language then yes you can mention it in your PS but don't spend too much time on it.

Thanks I am grateful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending