The Student Room Group

What should i do for my personal statement

Hello there

I want to study law at University, what programmes are there available to do? Like anything that will boost my personal statement
Original post by Mark jam
Hello there

I want to study law at University, what programmes are there available to do? Like anything that will boost my personal statement

Isn't it too early for 2019 entry? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Isn't it too early for 2019 entry? :s-smilie:

Its never too early:smile:
Its never too early:smile:

Haha! I went to this Summer School, not for Law, though. You might wanna have a look at it. https://www.cambridgeimmerse.com/our-programmes/law/
Hello there

There are lots of different law degree programmes these days. Many universities offer law degrees combined with another discipline e.g. law with journalism or law with economics.

Virtually all law degree courses will have the 'foundation subjects' as part of their degree (this will allow you to qualify as a solicitor or barrister). If you choose a 'law only' degree course consider the range of optional or elective modules that you can do (usually in your second and/or final year).
Reply 5
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Haha! I went to this Summer School, not for Law, though. You might wanna have a look at it. https://www.cambridgeimmerse.com/our-programmes/law/

Thanks, any other things to do, maybe an actual experience at a law firm, hahah
Hi there,
I don’t have any knowledge about specific law related things, but you may have already done things you could include. For example if you have done any extra curricular activities that directly relate, or examples of where you have shown qualities needed for the course. Make sure everything is directly relevant as they aren’t looking for anything and everything.
Also, perhaps see if there are any common modules for all the universities you are applying to. You could express an interest in that topic and show you have gone out of your way to research it.
A general tip - try and make your personality come through in your statement, it is a hard thing to do but can really make you stand out.
Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Lawschoolhack
There are lots of different law degree programmes these days. Many universities offer law degrees combined with another discipline e.g. law with journalism or law with economics.

Virtually all law degree courses will have the 'foundation subjects' as part of their degree (this will allow you to qualify as a solicitor or barrister). If you choose a 'law only' degree course consider the range of optional or elective modules that you can do (usually in your second and/or final year).

Thanks, and I appreciate that you are interested to help however your response is not prior to my request. Nonetheless, if you any advice on programmes or things to do to enrich the academics of a personal statement and dont mind sharing; it will be highly appreciated.
Reply 8
Original post by charlielotty
Hi there,
I don’t have any knowledge about specific law related things, but you may have already done things you could include. For example if you have done any extra curricular activities that directly relate, or examples of where you have shown qualities needed for the course. Make sure everything is directly relevant as they aren’t looking for anything and everything.
Also, perhaps see if there are any common modules for all the universities you are applying to. You could express an interest in that topic and show you have gone out of your way to research it.
A general tip - try and make your personality come through in your statement, it is a hard thing to do but can really make you stand out.
Good luck!

Thanks, appreciated!
Reply 9
Try doing work experience at a Law firm even if its just photocopying or making tea. Its a great thing to put on your personal statement and gain credit. Try and join as many societies at your college/sixth form. Good luck!
Original post by charlielotty
Hi there,
Good luck!

Agreed! You could also try volunteering to make your personal statement more colorful, since some institutions might appreciate people that could possibly enrich their community.
Hello again,

Any work experience will help your application. If it's legally based then all the better.

It is hard to get experience in a law firm these days unless you have contacts within the profession. If you are struggling to find work experience with a firm of solicitors try approaching large local employers who may have their own legal department. Local authorities and courts can be a good source to explore.

You can also show an interest in the law and persuasive argument by joining a local debating society. If your college doesn't have one; start one! Get involved with your student council or be a student representative.

As other contributors have also mentioned, volunteering can be a good way of showing that you have already developed key transferable skills such as initiative, good time management, independence and team working.

However, remember that if you don't get the grades; you won't get in however wonderful your personal statement is so work hard on your entry qualifications. If it's not too late, choose subjects which are seen to be academically rigorous and complement law.

Good luck.

Thanks, and I appreciate that you are interested to help however your response is not prior to my request. Nonetheless, if you any advice on programmes or things to do to enrich the academics of a personal statement and dont mind sharing; it will be highly appreciated.
Experience in a law firm is not necessary. Read books, see the world, excel in your academics. Don't stress yourself out trying to get an opportunity to make tea in a law firm, which is not remotely indicative of ability to read law at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending