The Student Room Group

changing my name ?? option?

Okay so my name is Gemma and I don't like it at all really and always wanted to change. So which name do you like better and Why? and do you like the name Gemma?

What I could like to change to:

Amy or Emily.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princessgem
Okay so my name is Gemma and I don't like it at all really and always wanted to change. So which name do you like better and Why? and do you like the name Gemma?

What I could like to change to:

Amy or Emily.

I like the name Gemma better but maybe that's just me
gertrude?
Gemma is such a cute name, it reminds me of sunny side up eggs and warm days. It sounds like the name of an adorkable lovable idiot tbh i love it
Gamma Rays
Original post by CleverSquirrel
gertrude?

Hey! Haha that's funny, Gertrude is what I call my... never mind.
Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock
Reply 7
all these replies ain't any help
Reply 8
Out of Gemma, Amy or Emily I prefer Gemma to be honest because you could be called Gem and that's cute. In my opinion Amy or Emily are quite boring names and too many people have them..
Reply 9
thanks...x
Original post by fowlere
Out of Gemma, Amy or Emily I prefer Gemma to be honest because you could be called Gem and that's cute. In my opinion Amy or Emily are quite boring names and too many people have them..

The same can also go for Gemma tho, i like the name Amy, or spell it differently so 'Aimee'. Or combine Amy and Emily, Amily :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by ParkHyungSuk
Hey! Haha that's funny, Gertrude is what I call my... never mind.

......my pet fish is called gertrude.....

Spoiler

Personally don't like any of the names. Amy and Emily are so popular, I know so many Amys and Emilys. Gemma just doesn't look good to me either. However, if you're really set on changing your name, you shouldn't rely on strangers on the internet to tell you what your name should be. You need to love the name yourself, so the fact that you're even asking about if you should be Amy or Emily suggests that you yourself aren't 100% sure on either of these names.
I changed my name... I chose it when I was 6 and changed it legally when I was 14... My name is officially Pumpkin lol
I just don't like Gemma.. I like Amy and Emily more Emily though
Lord Buckethead II
I'm changing my name legally this year after 7 years of using my ''new'' one. If I were you, I'd find ''my'' name before deciding whether to change the old one or not and I'd ''try it out'' for at least 6 months. In these past years I've learnt a name shouldn't be changed because you dislike it but because you identify with another one, but that's just my opinion anyways:smile: If you don't feel represented by your current name, go ahead and search for your perfect one :biggrin:
I agree with @fowlere - Amy and Emily are extremely common. That doesn't mean they aren't lovely, but at least with Gemma (which is my personal favourite of the three anyway) it's a name which everyone is familiar with and so knows how to pronounce and spell yet you don't share your name with too many people.

I think your name is lovely, but in my opinion you should change it to something that won't confuse people because it's really uncommon and/or spelled weidly, yet is still relatively unique. If you're adamant that you must change your name, that is.
Reply 18
I changed my name and it was a bit of a hassle, not to mention awkward explaining it constantly to people, especially old friends from school. I hated my original name as no-one could pronounce it, I also just didn't like it. I switched to my middle name, which I am not that keen on tbh, but it is much better for me.

How do your family feel about you changing your name? I know my mother was very hurt and upset when I officially decided to change my name as she put a lot of effort into choosing my original name. She and my father still call me by my original name which I don't mind too much.

Out of the three names you have put forward, I like the names Gemma and Emily best. Although I think Emily is a bit overused, having had three Emily's in my year of about 25 with the name.

Good luck :smile:
I find Emily a bit too posh, but if you are aspiring to be posh then it would suit you. like for instance emily ratajowski , it doesnt suit, as she is too sexy for that name, she should have been called karina or something, but emma watson, I always think she is emily watson as she is a perfect emily.

Quick Reply

Latest