The Student Room Group

H&M apologises over 'racist' image of black boy in hoodie

Scroll to see replies

No, you are not racist because you don't make a fuss about it and yes , I am Eastern European.
Original post by lonyeka
Kk.

ha where did all your distaste go
Original post by applesforme
always many sides to the coin, like others have said maybe the boy himself really liked that jumper and wanted to wear it, or maybe the colour suited him the best. everybody uses the phrase "cheeky monkey" especially towards kids or are we going to be banning that phrase from schools as well when someone (white) cries racism.

Right, because it's totally reasonable to assume the kid understand the historical racist discourse that people of his race were subjected to.
Reply 63
Original post by rubbishatgcse
ha where did all your distaste go

What do you mean? I wasn’t coming at you or anything. Just trying to explain the viewpoint of others who disagree with you. 🤷*♀️
You are right again.
funny how most of the white people on here are saying it's not racist......
Aren't the people saying it is racist implying that the blacks look like monkeys or something?

After all, the whiteboi in the tiger hoodie has drawn no complaints...
Reply 67
Funny because I'm black and I did not care one bit and i wasn't boring enough to find it 'distasteful'. Just grow a pair and stop getting offended over everything, there are more serious issues around the world.

Just found out you’re Indian why are you claiming your black 😂 Very embarrassing.
Funny because I'm black and I did not care one bit and i wasn't boring enough to find it 'distasteful'. Just grow a pair and stop getting offended over everything, there are more serious issues around the world.

and racism is one of those serious issues...
Original post by merlynnn
I never said that they were racist. I said the picture was. Read.

oh wow that basically means the same thing, why is this made into a big deal
Funny because I'm black

Lmaooo you idiot.
If anything isn't this a really good sign of how people have started to become colour blind. In the past the person that made this decision may well have looked at the little lad and saw the connection between him and a monkey. The prejudice would have jumped out at them. Now they didn't. They saw a cute kid in a cute hoodie. Great.....no?
No, of course it's not good news. We mustn't think that things might be getting better.
Original post by lonyeka
Just found out you’re Indian why are you claiming your black 😂 Very embarrassing.

I'm mixed bro
Reply 73
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42603960/hm-apologises-over-racist-image-of-black-boy-in-hoodie

People on social media have called H&M "racist" for showing a black child modelling a hoodie that says 'coolest monkey in the jungle.'

Some are calling for a boycott of the brand over the picture, while others defended the retailer.

H&M has said: "We apologise to anyone this may have offended." People took to Twitter to describe the image published by the Swedish chain as inappropriate and offensive. The photograph was being using in the children's section of the UK site and some people weren't happy.

It was a dumb and short-sighted thing to do on H&M's part as this would obviously incur outrage from certain people due to it being moderately offensive in a certain context. However, I think the person messaging the tweet is overreacting - the actual clothing doesn't need to be removed from stock as the above tweet is demanding, it isn't related to either of the boys in the advertisement in any way apart for simple demonstration, it can be sold independently without it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 74
They shouldn't apologise since they did nothing wrong.
The problem with you is that you're pedantic. Racism and intent are two separate things. If you do or say something racist, but claim it wasnt intentional then by your silly logic that means the original action is no longer racist.

The effect of an action takes precedent over the intent. In this case, the ad campaign may be accidentally racist but its racist nonetheless.

You realise you're wrong because you can't argue with the facts I've presented as to the definition of racism, so you call me a pedant and try to twist the definition to suit your own agenda. I could stop right there... but I won't.

That's a ridiculous example. All that would be happening there is, someone has been racist and then claims that they weren't. They were being racist, because the intent was there - just because they then claim that the intent wasn't there, doesn't mean it wasn't intentional. In the scenario of this advertising campaign, we again can safely assume that the advert was not intended to be racially offensive and the advertising team were not discriminating against, or prejudiced toward, any person or race.

I'll break it down for you one last time, if you still can't see why racism and something being racially offensive are different, then I'm wasting my time, here:

Racism = discrimination or prejudice against another person(s) because of their race.
Discrimination/prejudice = intentional.
No intent = no racism. Racially offensive, yes, but not racist.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's a black kid wearing a hoodie that says monkey on it

And?

This isn't racist at all, i'm sure the kid who did the advert didn't care. Get over it if people have got time to be getting their panties in a twist over this they got time to be doing something useful and meaningful with their time.

Get a grip seriously.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
You realise you're wrong because you can't argue with the facts I've presented as to the definition of racism, so you call me a pedant and try to twist the definition to suit your own agenda. I could stop right there... but I won't.

That's a ridiculous example. All that would be happening there is, someone has been racist and then claims that they weren't. They were being racist, because the intent was there - just because they then claim that the intent wasn't there, doesn't mean it wasn't intentional. In the scenario of this advertising campaign, we again can safely assume that the advert was not intended to be racially offensive and the advertising team were not discriminating against, or prejudiced toward, any person or race.

I'll break it down for you one last time, if you still can't see why racism and something being racially offensive are different, then I'm wasting my time, here:

Racism = discrimination or prejudice against another person(s) because of their race.
Discrimination/prejudice = intentional.
No intent = no racism. Racially offensive, yes, but not racist.

By your logic, some cannot be accidentally racist. It just means theyre not racist. And that's exactly why you're wrong. Im not wasting my time with someone so attached to definitions and cant assess this situation for what it is.
Reply 78
Also, an ad campaign is an inanimate thing, it cannot have intent itself. The ad campaign is racist. The people behind it may not be. How is this so hard for you to understand?

It's just the way you and others interpret this. And the campaign does have an intent, otherwise it wouldn't convey that indicator of racism to you, or convey that it was just a mistake on H&M's part on the basis of this issue, as intent does literally mean, purpose.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kataali
It's just the way you and others interpret this. And the campaign does have an intent, otherwise it wouldn't convey that indicator of racism to you, or convey that it was just a mistake on H&M's part on the basis of this issue, as intent does literally mean, purpose.

The problem is, there are idiots who think intent is the be all and end all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending