The Student Room Group

The problem with Islam?

Hello Im a gay man,and ive heard alot about islam,I heard recently that islam is homophobic,can any muslims confirm or deny this

Scroll to see replies

i'm muslim but i have nothing against gay people , i definitely dont want them to be harmed or disrespected in society
Reply 2
Isn't all religion homophobic? Even though they all teach to love and respect everyone?

no reason for a thread to spread hate or ignorance.
Original post by fgsdfgs
Hello Im a gay man,and ive heard alot about islam,I heard recently that islam is homophobic,can any muslims confirm or deny this

All 3 Abrahamic religions are homophobic :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ParkHyungSuk
All 3 Abrahamic religions are homophobic :smile:

Should we not criticise them all more then,why is homophobia allowed in society
14CCABBE-1C75-414A-816D-0D5F0E1ED1AC.jpeg

Go away troll
Original post by fgsdfgs
Should we not criticise them all more then,why is homophobia allowed in society

Islam is much younger than Judaism and Christianity, all of which having verses coming from an archaic age. I believe that time has caused Christianity and Judaism to ignore large parts of their religion and with enough time the same will happen to Islam. In fact, even in Saudi Arabia at the moment there is much gradual change occurring. Homophobia is an ever dwindling phenomenon and in time it will all together be eliminated.
Reply 7
Yes some muslims are tolerant and respectful of homophobia HOWEVER the religion itself is homophobic and dislikes relations between the same sex.
Reply 8
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i'm muslim but i have nothing against gay people , i definitely dont want them to be harmed or disrespected in society

That's good ray!
Original post by Archon9
That's good ray!

thanks buddy x
Islam is much younger than Judaism and Christianity, all of which having verses coming from an archaic age. I believe that time has caused Christianity and Judaism to ignore large parts of their religion and with enough time the same will happen to Islam. In fact, even in Saudi Arabia at the moment there is much gradual change occurring. Homophobia is an ever dwindling phenomenon and in time it will all together be eliminated.

I, would like to think that do you have any evidence or is it one of those things that does not need to be justified with proof just believed in? I am not trying to be offensive or condescend your point just wondering if there is any documentation of it?
Original post by Archon9
I, would like to think that do you have any evidence or is it one of those things that does not need to be justified with proof just believed in? I am not trying to be offensive or condescend your point just wondering if there is any documentation of it?

Documentation for what exactly? Islam is younger than Judaism and Christianity - well duh
That large parts of Christianity and Judaism are ignored in today's society? I can give multiple evidences from the bible itself but I would rather not start a flame-war.
That Saudi Arabia is gradually changing? Yes that is true.
Original post by fgsdfgs

so are Catholics (to an extent- they aren't fully homophobic but still) and many others. the religion may have this as a belief- doesn't mean that the believers must comply with it
Documentation for what exactly? Islam is younger than Judaism and Christianity - well duh
That large parts of Christianity and Judaism are ignored in today's society? I can give multiple evidences from the bible itself but I would rather not start a flame-war.

That Saudi Arabia is generally changing sorry for not specifying that!
You'll find Muslims who are tolerant of gay people and some Muslims who are outright repulsed by them. I was part of the latter when I was naive and ignorant, now I belong in the former category :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by fgsdfgs
This is another one of those areas where you have to differentiate between "Islam" and "Muslims".

Islam is indeed homophobic. The Quran itself is rather vague but is almost universally interpreted as condemning homosexuality. The sunnah (sayings of Muhammad) is explicit. The punishment for practising homosexuals is death, and Muhammad cursed effeminate men and said they should be cast out of their homes.

Muslims, on the other hand, are individuals and will hold different opinions. Some will take their own position based on evidence and experience and innate empathy, and will somehow reconcile this with the official position, and some will simply accept whatever Islam dictates.
Original post by fgsdfgs

yes islam is homophobic, so keep quiet about your sex life around any of them - your life could be threatened. also christianity as a religion is also homphobic ( "if a man lies with a man as he would with a woman... then they shall surely be put to death." look up Leviticus), but there are more christians who are accepting, but still be careful. all in all, if anyone is relgious it's a bad sign and they are likely to be conservative and strict followers of hetero-normal culture. if someone is an atheist it's highly unlikely that they are homophobic, i've never come across one in my own life, but i've come across plenty of homophobia from religioners.
Reply 17
Don't see why people are fussed about sexuality... as long as your not forcing it on me I could care less, as for religion? all 3 abrahamic religions (Islam, Christianity, Judaism) forbid homosexuality as it is not seen as "natural", however I think you can't say that a whole religion is against homosexuality, as i'm sure you'll agree - not every Chrisitian, Muslim or Jew has the same opinion and views as each other. we're humans, not robots :smile:

Islam is certainly NOT a young religion. It is older than Christianity and Judaism.
Waiting for this thread to turn into this:
D1D38DEA-BC58-4E5E-A695-DFB1953726CF.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest