The Student Room Group

H&M apologises over 'racist' image of black boy in hoodie

Scroll to see replies

Original post by merlynnn
By your logic, some cannot be accidentally racist. It just means theyre not racist. And that's exactly why you're wrong. Im not wasting my time with someone so attached to definitions and cant assess this situation for what it is.

They can't. You have to actively have something against a particular race, to be racist. You can be accidentally racially offensive, yes, but please refer to my previous post(s) for reasons why it's not possible to accidentally be racist.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
They can't. You have to actively have something against a particular race, to be racist. You can be accidentally racially offensive, yes, but please refer to my previous post(s) for reasons why it's not possible to accidentally be racist.

The mere fact that you dont even bother refer to this case and instead just break down the definitions in such a simple minded manner just shows how silly you are.

Given that you think it's possible to not be accidentally racist (which is extremely pedantic itself), I doubt you'll understand why you're wrong. But you yourself can read over that post and see why it's an example of a fallacy of the single cause.

PS: dont tell anyone you believe you cant be accidentally racist. You'll sound like an idiot.
The mere fact that you dont even bother refer to this case and instead just break down the definitions in such a simple minded manner just shows how silly you are.

Given that you think it's possible to not be accidentally racist (which is extremely pedantic itself), I doubt you'll understand why you're wrong. But you yourself can read over that post and see why it's an example of a fallacy of the single cause.

PS: dont tell anyone you believe you cant be accidentally racist. You'll sound like an idiot.

Well, I've actually referred to this case continually throughout all of my posts, and repeatedly said that given that the intent wasn't there, it's not racism - racially offensive I'll give you, but racism? No.

I do believe that, and I've given you my reasons why. The definition of racism is not open to interpretation, it's literally in the dictionary. I do not look like an idiot in saying so, because I've practically said so right from my first post, and have reiterated so throughout all of my posts, and several of my posts have been repped by other members, suggesting that several people agree with me. Are you implying that you're the only person reading this exchange between yourself and I who is not an idiot?
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Well, I've actually referred to this case continually throughout all of my posts, and repeatedly said that given that the intent wasn't there, it's not racism - racially offensive I'll give you, but racism? No.

I do believe that, and I've given you my reasons why. The definition of racism is not open to interpretation, it's literally in the dictionary. I do not look like an idiot in saying so, because I've practically said so right from my first post, and have reiterated so throughout all of my posts, and several of my posts have been repped by other members, suggesting that several people agree with me. Are you implying that you're the only person reading this exchange between yourself and I who is not an idiot?

I've pointed out the logical fallacy within your earlier post and now your argument is "I got reps from other uneducated right wing idiots!!!!!!". And I havent even mentioned how much of my argument you completely ignored because you couldnt address. At one point you went "No you're wrong" and just repeated what you said.

You are an idiot and its frankly just frustrating when you cant even develop an argument. It's like talking to a downy. From thinking that its not possible to be accidentally racist to thinking that this reductivist fallacious pedantry actually makes you look smart, ive just realised how much time ive wasted with you when you have so little logical literacy and basic common sense.

And I know how desperate you are for the last word. So you're free to have it. But im not wasting time with someone who thinks its impossible to be "accidentally racist" lmao
I've pointed out the logical fallacy within your earlier post and now your argument is "I got reps from other uneducated right wing idiots!!!!!!". And I havent even mentioned how much of my argument you completely ignored because you couldnt address. At one point you went "No you're wrong" and just repeated what you said.

You are an idiot and its frankly just frustrating when you cant even develop an argument. It's like talking to a downy. From thinking that its not possible to be accidentally racist to thinking that this reductivist fallacious pedantry actually makes you look smart, ive just realised how much time ive wasted with you when you have so little logical literacy and basic common sense.

And I know how desperate you are for the last word. So you're free to have it. But im not wasting time with someone who thinks its impossible to be "accidentally racist" lmao

I've literally addressed every single thing you've written. You can't seem to grasp the definition of racism and why intent is everything, you think "accidental racism" exists when it does not (you can be racially offensive by accident, however) and overall, I keep having to repeat myself because you don't seem to be able to comprehend what I've said and keep providing ridiculous examples in which one can apparently be racist by accident. To top it all off, you lack the ability to read, analyse and respond with logic and instead all you can do is resort to ad hominems and insults such as "idiot" and "downy", call me a pedant because I've tried to explain a simple cut-and-dried definition to you, and you refer to the numerous people who don't agree with you as "right wing idiots" rather than accept the fact that you're wrong. Call it "having the last word" if you like, I call it "correcting someone who is clearly wrong".
(edited 6 years ago)
I think the real racists are those who associate black people with monkeys.
Seriously though, why put the black one in the monkey hoodie? How could they not know...?
Original post by Appleorpear
And if he was white it would be fine.

But he’s not white. In an ideal world, everyone should be treated equally no matter their race, but unfortunately, that doesn’t happen. Probably will never happen. I don’t think that H&M are racist, but they made a bad decision and should have seen this backlash coming
Those people complaining on twitter can go and **** themselves
I personally think the whole scenario is simply coincidental and unintentional to be honest.

Original post by AprilFeather
I think the real racists are those who associate black people with monkeys.

This.
You do understand they have done this based on the skin tones of the models used.

Hoodies are made beforehand, so they have a green and orange one.
Then they need models, ofc green matches a darker complexion and orange suits a white one more.

It was an error but not intentional.
Although this is unfortunate and I can understand why people are offended, I don't think it's racist (not deliberately). There was probably some guy tasked with modelling the hoodies who just thought one looked better on one kid. Who knows they may have even let the kids pick which to wear.

At the end of the day calling black people monkeys is a pretty old issue. It's not something people would really think about. It's just where is a big company. People love controversy.

Just calling a kid a monkey isn't racist. It may have been in the past because of the way it will have been meant, but society has moved on. It's just including black kid in our new shared culture. It's treating them the same as we'd treat a white kid. Calling a kid a cheeky monkey is very common.

It's a little unfortunate they were modelled that way round, but just that. Like when news hosts wear a shirt that looks like a penis. Unfortunate.
Its just a hoodie. What is actually wrong with some people. Nobody makes it racist until someone does and then a ****storm of snowflakes start to fall
People need to get over themselves. It's a black boy in a hoodie. It's not like the hoodie is emblazoned with "I SURVIVED THE SLAVE TRADE" or something actually distasteful, it's just a poke at kids being little monkeys.
omg I do
not racist just silly I can't believe some fellow blacks are going out their way to be offended
Modelling the black boy as a "jungle survivor" has equally racist connotations. Maybe H&M should just have used an all-white modelling crew for this hoodie range - but then that intentional discrimination would have been far more problematic for me.

It was silly of H&M as they should have anticipated the rightful or wrongful backlash, but I doubt it was intentional, racially-discriminatory and racist. The fact they probably didn't immediately think of the racial offensiveness is a virtue in itself.

The longer we virtue-signal and get hypersensitive about these coincidental connotations, the longer we reinforce these racial stereotypes and divisions. Why can't a black boy be called a cheeky little monkey just like parents call their white boys? Just because some weak-minded fool may interpret it as a comment about their skin colour rather than the content of their character?

Commercially, H&M made a mistake, but I personally see no stain on their morals, and couldn't care less about some excessive shrilling on twitter.
(edited 6 years ago)
Maybe those taking offense are the racist ones. I'm tired of people being offended at absolutely everything - i
t's very boring and tedious now. Yawn
Original post by YaliaV
Maybe those taking offense are the racist ones. I'm tired of people being offended at absolutely everything - i
t's very boring and tedious now. Yawn

If the ones taking offence are black (which let’s face it, most of them probably are) how are they racist?
Original post by cherryred90s
If the ones taking offence are black (which let’s face it, most of them probably are) how are they racist?

Most of the people taking offence (and there probably aren't many in the first place) are probably not black. I think it's just a case of attention-seeking and/or virtue signalling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending