The Student Room Group

Want a NY's Resolution You Can Actually Keep - Why Not Register to Donate Stem Cells?

Poll

Would you donate stem cells if you were a match?

Why not do something that could potentially save someone's life? You never know when someone you know might need helping in this way. It's quick and simple to do as well. Here's what you can do to help.

Bone marrow?
All you need to do is register with Antony Nolan here (if you are aged 16-30) and they send you a pack where you spit into a tube and then you're on the register.

If you happen to be 31-40, you can register here.

Then you just wait. If your contact details change, you should let them know. Otherwise, you wait for them to contact you and say that you are a match for someone, and you can decide what to do then. Often it's a blood transfusion for the procedure, rather than the needle into your bone that they needed to do previously, so much less invasive. The Anthony Nolan website is full of more information.

Organ donation?
Of course, you can also register (if you haven't already) to donate your organs, which is another great way to potentially help someone in need.

Blood and platelet donation?
And you can also donate blood and platelets on a regular basis - they are always needed in hospitals (and I don't think a lot of people know about platelet donations).

So why not make a New Year's resolution you can actually keep? All it takes is a few minutes - not like going on a diet or joining the gym, and it's completely free. And it could literally save someone's life.

Why not share your stories about donating or register to donate - whether that is stem cells, organs, blood or platelets. Or maybe you or someone you know has needed a transplant, so you can share the outcome story of how it has helped them/you.

Scroll to see replies

Already on the register.:yy:

(cool thread by the way)
Original post by 04MR17
Already on the register.:yy:

(cool thread by the way)

And awesome! The more people are on the register the more likely there will be a match for someone - siblings are the best bet but it's not guaranteed and some people have none
on the organ donor register,
registered to donate blood but was told that because I'm a female under 20, and because of a low bmi I wouldn't be able to donate until I'm 20, or if I put on another 9 kg...

will have a look at the stem cell donation now!
Original post by Interrobang

And awesome! The more people are on the register the more likely there will be a match for someone - siblings are the best bet but it's not guaranteed and some people have none
Only child over here.:innocent:

it says if you're 50+kg... my weight fluctuates between 48-52 over the course of a year..
Good idea. I can also donate blood from next year, I'm looking forward to it.
Original post by Sweetpeasw
on the organ donor register,
registered to donate blood but was told that because I'm a female under 20, and because of a low bmi I wouldn't be able to donate until I'm 20, or if I put on another 9 kg...

will have a look at the stem cell donation now!

Yeah there are restrictions on donating but it's great that you've registered so when you are eligible you can do it :smile: and great!

Original post by 04MR17
Only child over here.:innocent:

Which is why (as I'm sure you'll know) anonymous donations through things like this are so important :smile:
I'm on the organ donation register, registered with Anthony Nolan and I give blood as often as I can :smile: would absolutely donate them!
it says if you're 50+kg... my weight fluctuates between 48-52 over the course of a year..

They understand that people's circumstances change and there might be all sorts of reasons why someone couldn't donate. You may never be needed, you may be asked in a month or 5 years from now! They would do checks and obviously only allow you to donate if it was safe to do so. So it's probably worth registering and seeing what your situation is like at the time
They understand that people's circumstances change and there might be all sorts of reasons why someone couldn't donate. You may never be needed, you may be asked in a month or 5 years from now! They would do checks and obviously only allow you to donate if it was safe to do so. So it's probably worth registering and seeing what your situation is like at the time

coolio! I'm just in the process of registering! :smile:
coolio! I'm just in the process of registering! :smile:

Great :smile: make sure you read the instructions as well as look at the pictures as I did it a bit wrong :lol: my sample was thankfully still good enough to use!
Great :smile: make sure you read the instructions as well as look at the pictures as I did it a bit wrong :lol: my sample was thankfully still good enough to use!

how does one do it wrong?
how does one do it wrong?

You'll see when you get it - you are meant to spit THEN break the seal on the purple liquid and mix it in. I did it the other way round. Luckily I could still pour the liquid into its original area to make sure I put enough saliva in!
probably hurts, i'll pass
I'm already signed up with Anthony Nolan. I tried to give blood but they couldn't find my veins.
Original post by gr8wizard10
probably hurts, i'll pass

These days giving stem cells really isn't a painful process :smile: giving blood is also an option, the process is almost completely painless except for the insertion of the needle. Plus you get free drinks and snacks after :tongue:
Original post by Paracosm
These days giving stem cells really isn't a painful process :smile: giving blood is also an option, the process is almost completely painless except for the insertion of the needle. Plus you get free drinks and snacks after :tongue:

i need cash upfront of at least 300-400 before even considering
Original post by gr8wizard10
i need cash upfront of at least 300-400 before even considering

What a shame. Never mind then. :smile:
Reply 19
I'm afraid i'm not entirely comfortable with being speared in the hip with a giant needle so its a no from me.

Quick Reply

Latest