The Student Room Group

What is philosophy a level like?

As much info given would be appreciated
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by jjasn
As much info given would be appreciated

There's loads of info on TSR and the Internet. Any specific questions? I do the A level
Reply 3
Original post by Rosariri
There's loads of info on TSR and the Internet. Any specific questions? I do the A level

Just if you enjoy and what you’re learning and is it aqa ?
Reply 4
I think it's AQA? I'm not sure. I do really love it because it's such a unique subject. We learn things you wouldn't touch or think about in others. For example, if you study sociology there's a little bit of psychology. They both overlap. But with philosophy, it is like no other.

But there are students in my class who hate the subject and that is because it is hella confusing. If you don't revise, then the stuff isn't going to make sense in class. Sometimes philosophers talk in a weird way, they like to complicate simple things. But if you actually revise and understand the work, it's really interesting and not that hard.

I'm studying two topics right now. Epistemology and moral philosophy. So far in epistemology we have learnt three theories of perception. And another topic we've just recently started is reason as a source of knowledge.

Then in moral philosophy we look at theories of what is a good act, good decision, bad act, bad decision etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Rosariri
I think it's AQA? I'm not sure. I do really love it because it's such a unique subject. We learn things you wouldn't touch or think about in others. For example, if you study sociology there's a little bit of psychology. They both overlap. But with philosophy, it is like no other.

But there are students in my class who hate the subject and that is because it is hella confusing. If you don't revise, then the stuff isn't going to make sense in class. Sometimes philosophers talk in a weird way, they like to complicate simple things. But if you actually revise and understand the work, it's really interesting and not that hard.

I'm studying two topics right now. Epistemology and moral philosophy. So far in epistemology we have learnt three theories of perception. And another topic we've just recently started is reason as a source of knowledge.

Then in moral philosophy we look at theories of what is a good act, good decision, bad act, bad decision etc.

Do you know any good careers o could get with a philosophy degree
Reply 6
Original post by jjasn

Unless you want to teach philosophy, there aren't any direct career links. What you look for in that case is transferable skills like writing well, taking in and assessing large amounts of conflicting information in a quick, methodical manner, advancing your reasoning skills, ability to speak and write persuasively etc.

There are aspects that are useful for government and social policy, but you'd need other experience to marry up with the skills developed in philosophy.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
Unless you want to teach philosophy, there aren't any direct career links. What you look for in that case is transferable skills like writing well, taking in and assessing large amounts of conflicting information in a quick, methodical manner, advancing your reasoning skills, ability to speak and write persuasively etc.

There are aspects that are useful for government and social policy, but you'd need other experience to marry up with the skills developed in philosophy.

What is it you want to do and why did you take philosophy a level
Reply 8
Original post by jjasn
What is it you want to do and why did you take philosophy a level

I teach philosophy at degree level (and didn't take it as an A Level!).
Reply 9
Well it depends on what you class as "good". But I wouldn't do a philosophy degree to get a good job...
Original post by jjasn

Quick Reply

Latest