The Student Room Group

Forced marriages are barbaric and shouldn't happen in modern britain!

Any unevolved neanderthal forcing unconsensual marriage upon their children should be deported to the third world village they crawled out of. Because their backwards culture has no place here and over there they can live in the 12th century bc where they belong.
Pretty sure it's been illegal in the UK for a while now, and I haven't really heard of many incidents of it taking place.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Pretty sure it's been illegal in the UK for a while now, and I haven't really heard of many incidents of it taking place.

They do take place many parents force their child to go overseas and get married and then come back to the uk and if they don't their superior culture dictates that they kill their own children for "honour".
I have moved this to society.
Reply 4
Cheers, Geoff
Original post by crosssafley
They do take place many parents force their child to go overseas and get married and then come back to the uk and if they don't their superior culture dictates that they kill their own children for "honour".

Taking someone overseas to force them to marry (whether or not the forced marriage takes place) is still a criminal offence in the UK.

The person being forced into the marriage can also apply for an FMPO.
(edited 6 years ago)

Hello!

Indeed, the gruesome phenomenon still exists in the contemporary world to a misfortune. As far as I know, however, it is usually implemented in the backward communities but not in the UK. Now that you have come to mention this fact, I can declare my astonishment with such culture of nonsense!
Besides, honour killings are usually perpetrated in a number of cases but this is the first time I know about this case too! Also, they are known to claim female souls in vast majority of cases. Does this apply here too?

Can you enlighten me more about this matter, please? How much information can you share in this regard? In other words, have you encountered a real-life similar story happening with an acquaintance of yours? I am asking because, to be honest, my knowledge about this social aspect is still confined to what I read in newspapers and on social media + some TV shows that discuss relevant stories, and I have frequently been told that "In which era are you still living? These traditions no longer exist so stop your assumptions of their existence!!":dry:

Spoiler

They are illegal... A lot of people seem to confuse forced marriage with arranged marriage and from my understanding an arranged marriage is where the family help you locate a potential spouse and arranges everything, to meet the family and get to know each other etc, it's a much more family orientated event. The girl still has the final say though.

A forced marriage is where the parents force you to marry someone you don't want to, I think this is a pretty rare thing in the UK now but I'm sure there are still some cases of it happening.
Its still much better than the western way of leaving the most important thing you will ever do to chance. Parents know best, this is social networking in the very literal sense; finding the the most appropriate spouse of the the equivalent social background and making damn sure your reputation is maintained. As opposed to the western way whereby nobody knows whether they are a creep or a **** or what is taking advantage, and where people sire kids in every possible scenario other than marriage. Yes force is not always nice, but neither is being a single mother with kids that are permanently on tour.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
They are illegal... A lot of people seem to confuse forced marriage with arranged marriage and from my understanding an arranged marriage is where the family help you locate a potential spouse and arranges everything, to meet the family and get to know each other etc, it's a much more family orientated event. The girl still has the final say though.

A forced marriage is where the parents force you to marry someone you don't want to, I think this is a pretty rare thing in the UK now but I'm sure there are still some cases of it happening.

Force and child marriage happen in North America too.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/08/30/547072368/a-look-at-the-loopholes-that-allow-child-marriage-in-the-u-s

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/200000-children-married-us-15-years-child-marriage-child-brides-new-jersey-chris-christie-a7830266.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/why-does-the-united-states-still-let-12-year-old-girls-get-married/?utm_term=.2446d3a041d4
Original post by IamTheMorality
Its still much better than the western way

Well, we have now seen it all. A defence of forced marriage.

Truly astonishing.
Original post by Good bloke
Well, we have now seen it all. A defence of forced marriage.

Truly astonishing.

It would actually help the legions of cucked out white males. Can you not see the ticking western time bomb? The only white parents you see are generally either teen single mothers or geriatric mothers.

Plus the government actually seems to promote and reward white female promiscuity.
Reply 12
Any unevolved neanderthal forcing unconsensual marriage upon their children should be deported to the third world village they crawled out of. Because their backwards culture has no place here and over there they can live in the 12th century bc where they belong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/why-does-the-united-states-still-let-12-year-old-girls-get-married/?utm_term=.39cf030c7007

In the UK this is not even a big enough issue to warrant a thread... In fact I am willing to bet you have never seen this happen either but would rather like to assume it does so you have something to rant about.
Reply 14

Care to back up this claim of 'many' parents doing this?
Reply 15
Arranged marriages happen yes, but forced marriages? Not in the UK.
Original post by ParkHyungSuk
In the UK this is not even a big enough issue to warrant a thread... In fact I am willing to bet you have never seen this happen either but would rather like to assume it does so you have something to rant about.

There are about 1,500 marriages forced annually, either within the UK or to UK residents. I think that is about 1,500 too many.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/forced-marriage-unit-statistics-2016
Original post by ParkHyungSuk

That is NCA/Debate etc in a nutshell. Raging autists living in bubbles 🙄
Original post by Fekky.
Arranged marriages happen yes, but forced marriages? Not in the UK.

forced marriages are illegal in the uk, but that doesnt mean it doesn't happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK8k0ZzftmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAyIRA7Xa9Y (first few minutes is enough to get the idea)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2200555/The-British-child-brides-Muslim-mosque-leaders-agree-marry-girl-12--long-parents-dont-tell-anyone.html

Also although they use the term "arranged marriages" there is a lot of societal force that forces the girl to say yes and not shame her family. they also marry them young when they dont understand and have led a sheltered life and think a marriage is just a party. I've heard of girls being married at 14 in england. They also basically kidnap them and take them to pakistan or india etc. to be married over there. arranged = forced (a lot of the time).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending