The Student Room Group

Advice needed for PGDE 2018 Entry (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M.elody
Yay congrats on getting an interview this early! Who with? 😊

Its for UWS (hamilton) but the interview is over in Ayr :frown: which is about hour and a half drive for me to get there, but I dont mind since it is just for the interview!
Original post by dawnc78
Well done on getting an interview. Exciting times ahead for you. I am hoping to submit my application form this week as just received my reference and having my personal statement proof read. Where is your interview for?

interview is for UWS Hamilton campus, however my interview is over at the Ayr campus - but that is not where i would study!
Original post by ds3rm
I'm also putting my application together, and am looking for a bit of help.

I am currently completing a National 5 Maths course to meet the last requirement, will my application still be considered?

Also, I've added my choices but each asked about spent/unspent convictions. The help box didn't make this much clearer, did you all tick the box or leave it empty?

if you dont declare them and it comes back you do have a conviction theyll more than likely cancel the application, but if you dont have any it just shows as not declared or something like that
Hi, I'm intending to apply this year for the PGDE. I currently work based in a high school as a careers adviser but want to change. I've been told that my high school experience won't be relevant enough and I realised this a bit late so I only started volunteering in my daughter's primary school a few weeks ago. I hope it's not too little too late. I have a BA hons in Business too. I intend to apply to Dundee and Aberdeen as they are commutable for me.
Original post by Lucky2017
Hi, I'm intending to apply this year for the PGDE. I currently work based in a high school as a careers adviser but want to change. I've been told that my high school experience won't be relevant enough and I realised this a bit late so I only started volunteering in my daughter's primary school a few weeks ago. I hope it's not too little too late. I have a BA hons in Business too. I intend to apply to Dundee and Aberdeen as they are commutable for me.

as long as you mention in your personal statement that you are currently volunteering within a primary school etc then you should be fine :smile:
Original post by Lucky2017

This should be fine! Just say what volunteering you have done to date, and say that you will be volunteering in a primary school and what you have learned since being there
Hi I posted this on another thread but this thread might be more relevant -
Regarding references. I'd be grateful for comments/advice.I've been getting some experience in a school since the start of term. I've toured around various classes which has been brilliant however nobody knows me and theres no one individual I feel I could ask for a reference. The headteacher may be able to confirm Ive attended the school for experience but probably can't comment much more.On the other hand my employer (non education related) would probably give me a really good reference. So, do I ask the head teacher for what would be a rather limited reference, or do I ask my employer for more in-depth, non education relate reference? Thanks in advance.
No, the Scottish unis do not accept pending grades. I have a nat 5 pending grade and will receive my result before the pgde starts however, I have been rejected from all of my 5 choices due to not having minimum grades.
Original post by Lovesinging
Hi I posted this on another thread but this thread might be more relevant -
Regarding references. I'd be grateful for comments/advice.I've been getting some experience in a school since the start of term. I've toured around various classes which has been brilliant however nobody knows me and theres no one individual I feel I could ask for a reference. The headteacher may be able to confirm Ive attended the school for experience but probably can't comment much more.On the other hand my employer (non education related) would probably give me a really good reference. So, do I ask the head teacher for what would be a rather limited reference, or do I ask my employer for more in-depth, non education relate reference? Thanks in advance.

its better to email the universities and ask them direct because i had a couple that would accept a non teaching experience reference but others that said it had to be a reference from a university tutor (As ive graduated within the last 5 years) or a reference from somewhere I have got experience from working with kids. As a result, I had to change my full reference as I was in the same boat as you, however my working with kids experience isnt from a school setting due to work requirements, one of the unis i applied to said it had to be from a place that can comment on my suitability for teaching/the course.
Original post by Ants2009
No, the Scottish unis do not accept pending grades. I have a nat 5 pending grade and will receive my result before the pgde starts however, I have been rejected from all of my 5 choices due to not having minimum grades.

thats a shame! are you going to re-apply next year? or maybe even try clearing?
What is clearing?

It’s a bit of a pain tbh because I have just finished 4 years at uni and got a 2:1 honours grade. However, can’t even get into primary teaching because of a maths grade.

It would mean taking another year out and I can’t really afford it so may have to look for something else. Haven’t decided yet .
What is clearing?

It’s a bit of a pain tbh because I have just finished 4 years at uni and got a 2:1 honours grade. However, can’t even get into primary teaching because of a maths grade.

It would mean taking another year out and I can’t really afford it so may have to look for something else. Haven’t decided yet .

clearing is places that ucas/unis open up in summer time when places are allocated and people maybe havent gone with their course choices for whatever reason, they then advertise for the courses they still have places for. I know how you feel, i graduated in 2016 with a 2:1 and been looking for grad jobs ever since, but to no avail. When i first started uni i was doing teaching but changed my major and they took me off the education course so I'm now going back to it.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-learn-how-clearing-works
Yeah I was pretty much the same. Was originally doing teaching then changed half way through. Silly mistake and paying for it now. Live and learn suppose.

Thanks I will look through hat clearing process.

Have you been accepted this year?
Yeah I was pretty much the same. Was originally doing teaching then changed half way through. Silly mistake and paying for it now. Live and learn suppose.

Thanks I will look through hat clearing process.

Have you been accepted this year?

Completely agree, wish I never bothered changing! and well I've got 1 interview lined up at the moment, have had acknowledgments from the other unis applied to but no interviews yet from them

where did you apply?

Sorry this has been your experience but the uni's - in most cases - will accept pending grades for degrees, maths and english. have you asked for feedback or was the feedback you don't have maths? did you put the qualification on your UCAS? I heard Aberdeen are being dead strict this year.
Original post by laurenmurray3112
clearing is places that ucas/unis open up in summer time when places are allocated and people maybe havent gone with their course choices for whatever reason, they then advertise for the courses they still have places for. I know how you feel, i graduated in 2016 with a 2:1 and been looking for grad jobs ever since, but to no avail. When i first started uni i was doing teaching but changed my major and they took me off the education course so I'm now going back to it.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-learn-how-clearing-works

pgde primary doesn't go into clearing. some secondary subjects do.
Hey there. Does anyone have interviews lined up for strath or Glasgow? I’ve seen a few people saying they have interviews at UWS but not seen any for strath or Glasgow. Getting anxious I haven’t heard anything yet x
Original post by Terri1990
Hey there. Does anyone have interviews lined up for strath or Glasgow? I’ve seen a few people saying they have interviews at UWS but not seen any for strath or Glasgow. Getting anxious I haven’t heard anything yet x

Hey! I have applied for both Strathclyde and Glasgow, but didn't get my application in till 15th December. I know some people had interviews for Strathclyde in December (my friend had one) but she had her application in on November.

Don't worry too much, they usually do interviews into Feb! Fingers crossed we hear soon.

I have an interview for Dundee on the 19th of January but it is the only one I have heard back from.
Original post by primaryteach19
Hey! I have applied for both Strathclyde and Glasgow, but didn't get my application in till 15th December. I know some people had interviews for Strathclyde in December (my friend had one) but she had her application in on November.

Don't worry too much, they usually do interviews into Feb! Fingers crossed we hear soon.

I have an interview for Dundee on the 19th of January but it is the only one I have heard back from.

Oh that’s great thanks for the update 😊 did your friend tell u anything about the interview that might help us if we’re lucky enough to get one haha?

Oh excellent well done!! Best of luck at your interview at Dundee 😊 is it just an interview or presentation too? X
She had to do a presentation on anything she wanted, an interview and a questionnaire. She said it was ok, she still hasn’t heard back yet so not sure if she has got in or not.The Dundee one is a group interview with a 2 minute presentation on 2 quotes from reports they have supplied. Have you applied for anywhere else? I have went for Strathclyde, Glasgow, Dundee, Perth and west of Scotland. Hopefully I will get in somewhere!! I’ll post if I receive any news of other interviews! ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending