The Student Room Group

Insurance Price for New drivers?

So i am able to drive next year and i want to save for a new car which i can take pride in. Ik the price of the car, but i am worried for the car insurance, which iknow will cost a tonne. Can anyone help?

The car i was looking at was

Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE 4dr

any help is appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A 17 year old in a 2 litre diesel A4 will be refused insurance from the vast majority of brokers and quoted in the tens of thousands by the few that even offer to cover you.

It's going to have to be a small hatchback with a small engine (1.4 litre at most) and a blackbox policy, unless you have very deep pockets.
Original post by johnnym871
So i am able to drive next year and i want to save for a new car which i can take pride in. Ik the price of the car, but i am worried for the car insurance, which iknow will cost a tonne. Can anyone help?

The car i was looking at was

Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE 4dr

any help is appreciated

I can't imagine an Audi being cheap to insure...

Anyway, car insurance premiums are based off many factors. Use a comparison site for a rough idea of how much it'll cost you.
Reply 3
Original post by M451
A 17 year old in a 2 litre diesel A4 will be refused insurance from the vast majority of brokers and quoted in the tens of thousands by the few that even offer to cover you.

It's going to have to be a small hatchback with a small engine (1.4 litre at most) and a blackbox policy, unless you have very deep pockets.

So... What about a Volkswagen golf 1.6L? What is the highest im able to go?
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
I can't imagine an Audi being cheap to insure...

Anyway, car insurance premiums are based off many factors. Use a comparison site for a rough idea of how much it'll cost you.

I havn't got a drivers license yet and on the websites i checked, to get a price check on the insurance, you have to give them the 16numbers on your driving license.
I havn't got a drivers license yet and on the websites i checked, to get a price check on the insurance, you have to give them the 16numbers on your driving license.

No you don't. It's optional (for GoCompare anyway)
2.0L engine for a first car, Christ....get a 1.0L if your worried about insurance.
Reply 7
If you've got a spare 5 grand maybe. Golfs, Audis, BMWs etc are out for most new drivers unless daddy is paying the insurance.

Look for 1.4L or less and nothing too quick. Try all the comparison sites.

Also consider that if you buy the car when you are a learner driver the insurance will be relatively cheap. Once you pass your test you have to take out new insurance and then the cost shoots up.
Reply 8

Golfs are expensive to insure relative to similar cars for this exact reason. Young people go "oh, I can't get a BMW/Audi/Merc, guess it's gonna have to be a Golf" and go ahead to buy a Golf, crash it, and add one more marker against "Golf" in the company's database.

When I was 16 I was thinking about BMW 1 series and Golfs and the sort but once you pass and have the money in your hand you decide there are far better things to spend that much money on than a year of insurance lol

Make an account on a comparison site with hypothetical details and have a look. You should really be looking at the city car (VW Up!, Vauxhall Adam, Ford KA, Peugeot 107/108, Toyota Aygo) and supermini (VW Polo, Vauxhall Corsa, Ford Fiesta) segments. You might be lucky enough to live in an area where insurance is low and get a Golf but personally I'm in one of the worst areas in the UK for insurance so I'm very pessimistic on this matter.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by M451
Golfs are expensive to insure relative to similar cars for this exact reason. Young people go "oh, I can't get a BMW/Audi/Merc, guess it's gonna have to be a Merc" and go ahead to buy a Golf, crash it, and add one more marker against "Golf" in the company's database.

When I was 16 I was thinking about BMW 1 series and Golfs and the sort but once you pass and have the money in your hand you decide there are far better things to spend that much money on than a year of insurance lol

Make an account on a comparison site with hypothetical details and have a look. You should really be looking at the city car (VW Up!, Vauxhall Adam, Ford KA, Peugeot 107/108, Toyota Aygo) and supermini (VW Polo, Vauxhall Corsa, Ford Fiesta) segments. You might be lucky enough to live in an area where insurance is low and get a Golf but personally I'm in one of the worst areas in the UK for insurance so I'm very pessimistic on this matter.

I live in brighton xD
If you're looking at Audi's I suggest not going above a 1.9 A3. However this will be costly as a first car, I paid £1500 for a years insurance full comp, however I've bargained by taking out a huge collateral on the car, for example if I was to write it off I'd lose £1700, bearing in mind my car is worth £3000 that's an awful lot 😂😂 I suggest you start saving now if that's the plan.
Also, don't drive something that powerful if you've literally never driven before, I've been driving since I was a youngster so I'd say I'm at least slightly more capable than most 17-18 year olds, it may just be worth going for a corsa and then getting something bigger when you turn 18 and your insurance drops, you'll also have some more experience with driving then
Reply 12
Original post by M451
Golfs are expensive to insure relative to similar cars for this exact reason. Young people go "oh, I can't get a BMW/Audi/Merc, guess it's gonna have to be a Golf" and go ahead to buy a Golf, crash it, and add one more marker against "Golf" in the company's database.

My Mk7 is ridiculously cheap to insure, despite being a 1.6, because of all the safety tech that's crammed in to it.
Reply 13
Original post by IWMTom
My Mk7 is ridiculously cheap to insure, despite being a 1.6, because of all the safety tech that's crammed in to it.

Yeah that's one very important point. Go for a newer car with more safety tech since it reduces the chances of an accident.

For young drivers who are short of cash, old cars are usually cheap enough to buy but too expensive to insure and new cars are cheap enough to insure but too expensive to buy.

If OP was looking for a recent A4 then they'll be in luck if they want to consider a recent Golf or similar.
Read the insurance sticky.

What part of what the previous poster said about a small hatchback, no more than 1.4L did you not understand.
Start to gfet a few quotes and you will see what they mean.
Reply 16
What about... 2011 Volkswagen Golf 1.2 TSI S 5dr Petrol Black? Honestly, i dont wanna be spending in the tens of thousands on insurance.
What about... 2011 Volkswagen Golf 1.2 TSI S 5dr Petrol Black? Honestly, i dont wanna be spending in the tens of thousands on insurance.

Go for a Polo, they're quite good on insurance usually.

Someone bit more versed may need to correct me if I'm wrong but a 1.2 TSI is a turbo. Insurers got a bit smart to this recently because a lot of young drivers struggled to get insurance on a 1.2, let alone a 1.4. So you'd circumvent it by getting a 1l turbo and the insurer would say "ok that's a 1l car end of". What you'll now find is turbo cars are almost charged at their normal aspirant equivalents, I think a 1.2 tsi is equiv to like a normal 1.6l engine. I have a 1l turbo, and I'm charged as an insurance group 19 car, which is a crazy group for such a small engine; but blatantly power has been taken into account, my premium on a 0.9 clio wouldn't come close to it. (although I'm 24).

Check the insurance group first before you get excited about any cars - you have the right idea getting a 5dr, these are generally seen to be cheaper on insurance than 3 doors especially for Corsas.
Reply 19
You need to be doing the donkey work on this, not other people. Go onto Autotrader, do a nationwide search to find the car you want, get the licence plate number (most are shown) and then put it into a comparison site like confused.com or gocompare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending