The Student Room Group

Have you been affected by cyber-bullying?

Unfortunately, it's likely that most people will encounter bullying at some point in their life.

Now that we have more technology available to us than ever before, this can mean that the bullying doesn't stop when you leave school - social media can mean that it follows us into our homes.

Have you ever been affected by cyber-bullying?

What action did you take?

What was the outcome?

The NSPCC is passionate about supporting and guiding young people through difficult times such as this. If you've been affected by cyber-bullying and are interested in raising awareness, they are looking for young people aged 21 and under to share their stories of cyber-bullying.

You can report your story anonymously, but it may be used on the website and in the future to help show other young people that they are not alone when going through a difficult time.

If you'd like to be involved, please send me a PM. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well in my opinion Cyber Bullying doesn't exist. You can simply turn the device off that you're using and poof, like magic you don't have to receive abuse from people.
Original post by Texxers
Well in my opinion Cyber Bullying doesn't exist. You can simply turn the device off that you're using and poof, like magic you don't have to receive abuse from people.

yeh i agree with this , plus people can pretty much say what they want online with zero to no consequences so it dosen't mean anything if someone does it to me , just do the same thing back
Yes :cry2: On a website a couple of years ago there was this Arabic girl who used to bully me because of my background and would brag to everyone about how wealthy she is
Original post by Texxers

You've obviously never been a victim. There have been cases where some people have been stalked and eventually killed. But hey, that doesn't matter does it?

I've been cyber bullied and have, amongst other things been reported for benefit fraud. But like you say, that's clearly a non-issue.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
You've obviously never been a victim. There have been cases where some people have been stalked and eventually killed. But hey, that doesn't matter does it?

I've been cyber bullied and have, amongst other things been reported for benefit fraud. But like you say, that's clearly a non-issue.

Stalked and Killed? Doesn't seem to happen often enough as regular bullying, so it will always be a wuss' version of bullying.
You can argue that people being cyber bullied have the option to turn off their computer. They could do that, if you want to victim blame like that. However lives are so saturated with technology these days that they'd have to completely isolate themselves from their social networks and a common way they interact with friends for something that is not their fault, why should they have to do that?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
You can argue that people being cyber bullied have the option to turn off their computer. They could do that, if you want to victim blame like that. However lives are so saturated with technology these days that they'd have to completely isolate themselves from their social networks and a common way they interact with friends for something that is not their fault, why should they have to do that?

The bully would just find other ways, such as texting, whatsapp, etc. I'm sure.
Original post by Tiger Rag
The bully would just find other ways, such as texting, whatsapp, etc. I'm sure.

That's what I'm getting at.
Original post by moonkatt

People who use the "they can just turn it off11!!" are emotionally stunted teenagers with little understanding of anything outside the world mum and dad have created for them 🙄

Also no, never been a victim but have seen the effects
Never been affected by it. Seeing as social media wasn't really a thing until I was a least 15/16, I guess i've never been vulnerable to it. But I can definitely see how it could be a serious problem. Something that could really mess up a young kid.

Original post by Texxers

I think it's as much about attacking a person's character publicly than it is simply receiving abusive messages. With the right tools and audience, a bully could really make another kid's life hell. Everything that is done to them online would carry over into their real life, especially if the person knows the bullies, which is likely the case most of the time.

I'd choose getting pushed around a little in school over having somebody destroy my reputation online anyday.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Texxers

Not really, people can turn family and friends against you and if you respond to things it can be twisted, if you go silent they can twist that to admission of guilt for anything they accuse you of it becomes a no win situation.

Even my own personal experience is people can stalk you around different websites, I used to use the same name on multiple websites before people put my username into search and used it as ammo.

My probable worst was when some people I shared with when I was 16 at college tracked me down 12 years later and friended me then started giving me abuse on facebook asking if I still was a freak, why did I never wash, (the reality was I didn't know I had aspergers back then and I have a skin condition that makes it clammy even though I shower 2-3 times a day) one of then accused me of getting nowhere in life (yet she worked a minimum wage job and dropped out of university as she couldn't handle it) and at the time I was working a £12 a hour job another was boasting how she lied to immigration to move abroad and how stupid they were, another was unemployed for years and bitterly divorced. the maddes part was one of them by this point was 38 (she lied about her age when we met and said she was 16 when she was in fact 26)

I checked their chat history and it was talking about how they wanted to find the "freak" they used to live with and give him abuse.

They even contacted the girls on my profile asking why they were friends with a sickenly ugly guy and how they must of been desperate!
lol I get bullied by retards on youtube on a daily basis, the way I deal with it? Just block your notifications or block the people who are sending those messages and poof, no more bullying:smile:
If in rare and unlikely cases they do manage to track me down, I will be waiting for them.
(edited 6 years ago)
YouTube, Twitter and Facebook. YouTube is mainly people calling me terrorist or the n word. Twitter was people bullying my appearance and Facebook was a bunch of girls who had beef with me at HS.
There are defintely 12 year Olds but I think most of them are older people.
Someone called me the n word and said it’s ok cos idubbz said it’s ok😒
Eh I had some girl hassle me on facebook once but at the time I was a massive keyboard warrior who was also a **** with a superiority complex so I gave as much as I got and it sort of became a meme that didn't particularly bother me so long as I was 'winning'.

Never had anything that actually affected me 'properly' so to speak.
Original post by FloralLuxe
Someone called me the n word and said it’s ok cos idubbz said it’s ok😒

They were not only racist, but also misinterpreted idubbbz? absolute scum
Original post by The RAR
lol I get bullied by retards on youtube on a daily basis, the way I deal with it? Just block your notifications or block the people who are sending those messages and poof, no more bullying:smile:
If in rare and unlikely cases they do manage to track me down, I will be waiting for them.

Which doesn't stop them from setting up another profile.

An ex-friend did this to me for about 6 months. He wouldn't take the hint I didn't want to be friends and would just create profiles and try to add me.
If you are affected by the finger moves of some idiots who live at their mom's basement, I think you might need to visit the doctor.
Yes, a few times actually. As an extremely shy person I've used the internet to make friends and communication is just easier without having to worry about how the convo will, what they will think of me etc. But honestly from my recent experiences I've realised quite a lot of ppl of the internet are rather cruel. I've been abused/manipulated/sexually harassed by Certain ppl I thought I could call a "friend". Some People on the internet think I lie about my disability and my mental illness, and I still don't even know wh

Quick Reply

Latest