The Student Room Group

Help with History coursework please????

Right so basically i have a question and a rubbish first-time teacher with no clue what he is doing so you won't be surprised when i say that i have literally NO IDEA how to approach it.

The question is ''Communist Russia enjoyed more political stability than its Tsarist Predecessor'' Asses the validity of this statement thourgh the years 1855 - 1953.

I have the historiography for it but i don't know how to structure it into a plan and then essay, Like i dont know what i'm essentially looking for.. My teacher told me i should write it as a paragraph per government leader and examine a few decades for each in each paragraph. I asked but ''WHAT do I examine?''. I got no proper answer as He basically kept going off on a speech about what he expects from us by the end of January instead of actually helping us and nudge us in the right direction. FFS, yes, we ARE A2 students but he can't seriously expect us to make this kind of a jump especially with his half-assed teaching in AS that did nothing to 'grow us into independent and analytical thinkers''. There is no way in hell we can suddenly become freaking thesis-writers!! And That's what he said he wanted our quality of work to be like. With no help whatsoever to suggest how we might get to such a standard. I wanted to smack him. Anyone else had to endure such a *****y teacher??

Before i go on a rant on my **** sixth form, I really need some help guys! Please! Like can someone indicate where I need to looking at, like which themes in political stability do I address since my question is basically about comparing between the Soviet and Communist leaders. Also some key events across the years 1855 - 1953 under each leader that I should pan my focus on?

Past Alevel students who have already had their marks would be ideal but any current fellow Alevelers like myself are welcome too!
We can all wallow in our misery as we fail from the lack of help from our teachers that are so-damn-useless-they-should-have-left-the-womb together...

Thanks
Original post by Annie A2
Right so basically i have a question and a rubbish first-time teacher with no clue what he is doing so you won't be surprised when i say that i have literally NO IDEA how to approach it.

The question is ''Communist Russia enjoyed more political stability than its Tsarist Predecessor'' Asses the validity of this statement thourgh the years 1855 - 1953.

I have the historiography for it but i don't know how to structure it into a plan and then essay, Like i dont know what i'm essentially looking for.. My teacher told me i should write it as a paragraph per government leader and examine a few decades for each in each paragraph. I asked but ''WHAT do I examine?''. I got no proper answer as He basically kept going off on a speech about what he expects from us by the end of January instead of actually helping us and nudge us in the right direction. FFS, yes, we ARE A2 students but he can't seriously expect us to make this kind of a jump especially with his half-assed teaching in AS that did nothing to 'grow us into independent and analytical thinkers''. There is no way in hell we can suddenly become freaking thesis-writers!! And That's what he said he wanted our quality of work to be like. With no help whatsoever to suggest how we might get to such a standard. I wanted to smack him. Anyone else had to endure such a *****y teacher??

Before i go on a rant on my **** sixth form, I really need some help guys! Please! Like can someone indicate where I need to looking at, like which themes in political stability do I address since my question is basically about comparing between the Soviet and Communist leaders. Also some key events across the years 1855 - 1953 under each leader that I should pan my focus on?

Past Alevel students who have already had their marks would be ideal but any current fellow Alevelers like myself are welcome too!
We can all wallow in our misery as we fail from the lack of help from our teachers that are so-damn-useless-they-should-have-left-the-womb together...

Thanks

Have a look at the stickied thread in this section about how to write a killer history essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Have a look at the stickied thread in this section about how to write a killer history essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks for replying

I already checked that beforehand and that is not what I asked. I know how to structure an essay and plan, what I am asking for is what historical content i need to structure my essay WITH. As in what are the common themes among the tsarist and communist leaders in regards to political stability and key events, cause i really have no clue as to what to analyse in this topic. If any student were to help with THAT then structuring is no problem with me.
Hi, thanks for replying

I already checked that beforehand and that is not what I asked. I know how to structure an essay and plan, what I am asking for is what historical content i need to structure my essay WITH. As in what are the common themes among the tsarist and communist leaders in regards to political stability and key events, cause i really have no clue as to what to analyse in this topic. If any student were to help with THAT then structuring is no problem with me.

You say you 'have the historiography' which presumably means that you have read some books on the subject and therefore presumably know the main issues regarding stability (or more obviously, instability) over this period. You keep asking for which particular elements you should examine, but imho that is a matter for YOU to decide. Revolutions? Obviously. Riots? Probably, but which ones? Court intrigues/party infighting? Which ones were important in causing instability? Which sectors (or geographical areas) of the Russian people were affected? And at which times? Again, that is a matter for your judgement.
Is this AQA, and when is it due in by?

Thanks

Just finished A2 history last year.
You must have done some research, so pick 3 factors you have the most sources and historians views for and compare them.

For instance in your introductory paragraph state your definition of "stability" then assess each factor against that definition. You could talk about economics, strength of leadership and social stability.

You could then go on to do something like the following:

- Introduction: Outline definition of stability and introduce the factors you are going to talk about

- First Section: Compare the economic situation during Communist Russia compared to Tsarist governments and assess the impact of that on political stability. Give an overall judgement based on the views of historians and sources.

- Second section: Same as above but with strength of leaders

- Third section: Same again but with social stability.

- Forth section: Assess any limitations of your essay. Are there any factors you were not able to mention due to lack of sources? State that here as it may have affected your argument.

- Fifth section: Conclude your essay and give the final judgement.

Side notes:

You don't have to use the factors I've mentioned, they were just examples.
Try not to give your view in the essay (Never say 'I', use 'We' instead)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EnchantedPizza
You must have done some research, so pick 3 factors you have the mot sources and historians views for and compare them.

For instance in your introductory paragraph state your definition of "stability" then assess each factor against that definition. You could talk about economics, strength of leadership and social stability.

- Introduction: Outline definition of stability and introduce the factors you are going to talk about

- First Section: Compare the economic situation during Communist Russia compared to Tsarist governments and assess the impact of that on political stability. Give an overall judgement at the based on the views of historians and sources.

- Forth section: Assess any limitations of your essay. Are there any factors you were not able to mention due to lack of sources? State that here as it may have affected your argument.

Side notes:

Good answer and the OP should be grateful you too the time to explain how you might approach it. That's the way I would have done it with the operative words for me being political + stability + more. the choice of categories is the fun part imo.
Original post by 999tigger
...That's the way I would have done it with the operative words for me being political + stability + more. the choice of categories is the fun part imo.

Exactly! πŸ˜€

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnchantedPizza
You must have done some research, so pick 3 factors you have the most sources and historians views for and compare them.

- First Section: Compare the economic situation during Communist Russia compared to Tsarist governments and assess the impact of that on political stability. Give an overall judgement based on the views of historians and sources.

Side notes:

Thank you!!!! That was the answer i was looking for, This is my first time doing something like this and as i said , my teacher is new to his job so he was NO HELP. I can stop panicking now. Thanks mate☺
Thank you!!!! That was the answer i was looking for, This is my first time doing something like this and as i said , my teacher is new to his job so he was NO HELP. I can stop panicking now. Thanks mate☺

Glad I could help. I was as lost as you when I starting doing the coursework :biggrin:.

It is definitely a big step. Best of luck!
Reply 10
Hi guys,
I'm doing my History coursework and my topic is on political stability in Germany, in the period between 1871-1990.
I currently have three questions in mind,
'The role of dominant individuals in Germany was the main factor for political stability.' To what extend do you agree?
'In the period of 1871-1990, dominant individuals in Germany managed to achieve political stability.' How far do you agree with this statement.
'The achievement of political stability was the result of dominant individuals in Germany.' Assess the validity of this view with reference to the years of 1871-1990.
At the moment, I am not so sure which question would make much better sense. I've already collected my interpretations, sources and have a plan for the dominant individuals in Germany such as Bismarck and Hitler and how they achieved or did not achieve political stability, however, I am just struggling on the question a little bit.
Could anyone please be kind enough to help me and give me their thoughts and ideas?

Thank you.
Original post by JBN13
Hi guys,
I'm doing my History coursework and my topic is on political stability in Germany, in the period between 1871-1990.
I currently have three questions in mind,
'The role of dominant individuals in Germany was the main factor for political stability.' To what extend do you agree?
'In the period of 1871-1990, dominant individuals in Germany managed to achieve political stability.' How far do you agree with this statement.
'The achievement of political stability was the result of dominant individuals in Germany.' Assess the validity of this view with reference to the years of 1871-1990.
At the moment, I am not so sure which question would make much better sense. I've already collected my interpretations, sources and have a plan for the dominant individuals in Germany such as Bismarck and Hitler and how they achieved or did not achieve political stability, however, I am just struggling on the question a little bit.
Could anyone please be kind enough to help me and give me their thoughts and ideas?

Thank you.

I'd personally go with the first one, it seems pretty clear cut. The third question seems a bit harder to answer.

Quick Reply

Latest