The Student Room Group

Unit 6 Business Exam

How's everyone's preparation going? I'm thinking it's either gonna be about the Training and development cost (basically, pros and cons about it) or what should the New Board of Directors prioritise (seeing how the business is performing well, focus may be put on expanding or minimising cost in any way possible).

I am absolutely unprepared for the powerpoint part, just gonna do some last min practice on that before the exam x-x

Feel free to share your point of view.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Beep Boop*
Yo we need to sue pearson, they are so unclear about what we need to do, this is evident from every exam they have given us where its very diffucult to know what students need to prepare before the exam.

This is what i am working on right now forming a human resource planning system and doing other costs part; you see for the costs what are we meant to talk about? the loss in productivity because of sending employees to training etc?.

Is the power point part just not about a random topic they provide in the exam? i think all you need to know is what is speaker notes and that it needs to be 5 slides and one of them needs to include a recommendation slide.
Reply 3
Original post by haman1
Yo we need to sue pearson, they are so unclear about what we need to do, this is evident from every exam they have given us where its very diffucult to know what students need to prepare before the exam.

This is what i am working on right now forming a human resource planning system and doing other costs part; you see for the costs what are we meant to talk about? the loss in productivity because of sending employees to training etc?.

Is the power point part just not about a random topic they provide in the exam? i think all you need to know is what is speaker notes and that it needs to be 5 slides and one of them needs to include a recommendation slide.

Ahahaha true, I got pissed last year with both exams, especially when they pulled that bs of a "type of insurance recommendation" in Unit 3 exam when there was no such shiz in the spec regarding it. My teacher even said that he would back us if we were to sue Pearson so that is an option if they fvck us up yet again with the question during exam day.

The last paragraph of the case study talks about the Directors talking about Training and development being a major cost to the business due to "external factors" so suggests we can use PESTLE but don't need the whole of it and "competition" so SWOT...maybe?

Yeh I get that part about the random question but I'm not sure how to lay it all out like I might be able to talk a lot for some slides but not a lot for others. I'm good at conclusions so the recommendation slide is no worry.

I'm on track for D*DD but fml, looks like my best bet now is DDD coz of the exams.
Original post by JDieMstr
Ahahaha true, I got pissed last year with both exams, especially when they pulled that bs of a "type of insurance recommendation" in Unit 3 exam when there was no such shiz in the spec regarding it. My teacher even said that he would back us if we were to sue Pearson so that is an option if they fvck us up yet again with the question during exam day.

The last paragraph of the case study talks about the Directors talking about Training and development being a major cost to the business due to "external factors" so suggests we can use PESTLE but don't need the whole of it and "competition" so SWOT...maybe?

Yeh I get that part about the random question but I'm not sure how to lay it all out like I might be able to talk a lot for some slides but not a lot for others. I'm good at conclusions so the recommendation slide is no worry.

I'm on track for D*DD but fml, looks like my best bet now is DDD coz of the exams.

https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/FEAndVocational/BusinessandEconomics/BTEC/BTECNationalsBusiness2016/Samples/Student%20Book%202/unit-6.pdf

Page 135 on the above link is where i found the information on what exactly you need to write, there was a page like this for unit 2 which i used in exam to get distinction.

Yes you are right about the PESTLE but not all of it, like there are websites stating the construction sector has emerged out of technical recession to return to growth and this is because there is help-to-buy equity loan programmes being offered by the government.

The part about competition is that most contracting sub sector have no training or established a training programme, the only way NBCC can become competitive is by forming strategic objectives that aim to improve this by providing apprenticeships. The thing is if they wanted us to conduct PESTLE and SWOT they would have mentioned this in the book and specifications.
Reply 5
Original post by haman1
https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/FEAndVocational/BusinessandEconomics/BTEC/BTECNationalsBusiness2016/Samples/Student%20Book%202/unit-6.pdf

Page 135 on the above link is where i found the information on what exactly you need to write, there was a page like this for unit 2 which i used in exam to get distinction.

Yes you are right about the PESTLE but not all of it, like there are websites stating the construction sector has emerged out of technical recession to return to growth and this is because there is help-to-buy equity loan programmes being offered by the government.

The part about competition is that most contracting sub sector have no training or established a training programme, the only way NBCC can become competitive is by forming strategic objectives that aim to improve this by providing apprenticeships. The thing is if they wanted us to conduct PESTLE and SWOT they would have mentioned this in the book and specifications.

My teacher did say it was up to us if we wanted to do a PESTLE or parts of it coz the main chunk of it would be just analysing the case study and picking out key points, elaborating on it by giving alternatives and what's best for NBCC, in terms of aims (the aims we are suppose to come up with ourselves but would have to be SMART) and the question that's gonna be asked during the exam day. I might just talk about Brexit for Political so I can use some external research I've collected myself, which would at least show I did some research beforehand :3 As for the SWOT, I think it's not necessary but if I have time (lol as if)to spare then yeh....
Reply 6
bump*
Reply 7
If you already done the controlled assessment could you help out by giving me the questions as I’m sooooo confused and need help 😭
Reply 8
Original post by JDieMstr
bump*[have you done the controlled assesment and if you had could you tell me the questions for activity 1 and 2 please as I need help😭
Reply 9
CAN any one help me with the presentation structure
what websites did you guys use for your research and what do you think we really need to know for tomorrow i know we need to know about management styles and advantages and disadvantages of the training programme and the autocratic and everything but what is your structure gonna be and what you gonna talk about
Original post by skrrrrrrrrrr3
what websites did you guys use for your research and what do you think we really need to know for tomorrow i know we need to know about management styles and advantages and disadvantages of the training programme and the autocratic and everything but what is your structure gonna be and what you gonna talk about

I dont think the exam is about management styles, its about the effectiveness of training programmes.
structure it like this, go to page 133 on this link:
Original post by Nananas
CAN any one help me with the presentation structure

go to page 133 on that link provided for some presentation knowledge.
i want to know the report structure like what we would need to include in that
my teacher said to do it by objectives
and what do you mean by the effectivness of the training programme are you gonna memorise page 133
which resources did you use for the effectiveness of the training programme
which resources did you use for the effectiveness of the training programme

not memorise page 133 but its going to something similar to the structure used in page 133. yes you can include strategic objectives as part of the human resource planning system for extra marks/distinction. The report structure is there on the link provided probably 3 pages before. it basically needs to have recommendations, conclusion, a summary too if you want.
what stuff are you going to write about though are you going to write about the productivity or profitability
what stuff are you going to write about though are you going to write about the productivity or profitability

its very straight forward what you have to do. just firstly begin by conducting labour market analysis and if you are lucky to find the same link i did, you will understand everything you need to know. the thing is its written through a lot of pages so you need to find the relevant information really quickly.

from what i can see the productivity went down lol thats all i got for that But what they want you to know is why the productivity fell during different years like the economic climate after the 2008 recession caused pressure on the economy and the skills of employees and why its at the same as last year and what will make it increase. and than you know if you want to evaluate add the pros and cons like increasing productivity is going to increase the economic value construction brings into the UK and this means that there is more opportunities for investment in housebuilding and stuff like that. a problem would be like if training and development is not done now, the impact it could have in future productivity is catastrophic. now do a recommendation, ok so i suggest that NBCC does training programees and through identifying their needs and offering additional forms of training, they can expect more growth in productivity because of increased motivation and lower staff turnover. now do a conclusion, it is evident from the above, productivity is important to the business and is linked to the profitability. the two main things is that if a strategic objective is like to increase profit, than NBCC will require training and development and an effective HR plan to monitor progress of employees.

mate i can go on and on but i need to finish my own draft for the exam, i completely left it too late so the above is just a quick example i written in 3minutes. the link i provided has really everything you need to go through although avoid learning aims a and b for now, focus on the rest.

Start now if your exam is tomorrow, 6 hours is all it takes and very efficient brain and fast eyeballs are the minimum requirement. analyse information extremely fast find whats relevant really quick and form a draft to memorize. now the real problem is that this activity 1 and 2 could be on anything like quality management or business culture or factors influencing change/ motivation which could be difficult to write out under stress in the exam. just know if you state the obvious about training and development you will surely pass because it clearly said in part a "we will be disscusing the effectiveness of training and development.

go through the link i provided through the book and dont waste time reading it just make a draft that relates the construction industry to the topics in principles of management learning aim c,d,e,f mainly.

EDIT: skim read the example i wrote, do not write that in the exam, its pretty bad you need to find real points on the effectiveness of training and development. its good if you are aiming for a pass but not for distinctions they want real in depth thought and processing.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply