The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What is Durham like as a university?

I’ve been accepted into Durham to do psychology, I’m from a low income background and don’t feel as though I’m at Durham standard. But I know it has a brilliant reputation, but in terms of city, accommodation, lectures etc. What would you say Durham was like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beccakatiemullen
I’ve been accepted into Durham to do psychology, I’m from a low income background and don’t feel as though I’m at Durham standard. But I know it has a brilliant reputation, but in terms of city, accommodation, lectures etc. What would you say Durham was like?

Moved to the Durham forum. Don't worry about your background. You have an offer and that's all that matters. People will come in with a load of different backgrounds so just take it all in and you will be fine. Have a look for other students here.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by alleycat393
Moved to the Durham forum. Don't worry about your background. You have an offer and that's all that matters. People will come in with a load of different backgrounds so just take it all in and you will be fine. Have a look for other students here.

Thank you 😊

Got an offer for psychology and education, which college did you choose?
I chose John Snow, which I then realised was a mistake🙄 what about you??
I chose John Snow, which I then realised was a mistake🙄 what about you??

St Cuth’s cause I want self catered. Are you going to change your college choice then?

Please don't let your income be a barrier.

I applied to Durham last year (but turned them down) and now I'm at Edinburgh. Durham is an excellent university. Despite all the stereotypes you might hear, a lot of them aren't true, and not everyone there are 'rahs'.
Dont worry, if anyone looks down at you, just remind them its not Oxbridge or LSE.
Reply 8
Income shouldn't be an issue regardless of which uni you're at. I'd say go for it - Durham's a great uni to have on your CV and studying here is great, it's got a really low dropout rate thanks to things like the college system and the support that you can get
Reply 9
Good reputation but it really is in the middle of nowhere.
I’m going to view it on the 14th of February,
thanks for all the replies 😋
Reply 11
Original post by CloudMan
Good reputation but it really is in the middle of nowhere.

Nowhere being 15 mins on the train from Newcastle and with regular services to York, Leeds, London etc?
Original post by jct1993
Nowhere being 15 mins on the train from Newcastle and with regular services to York, Leeds, London etc?

a 3 hour train to London at an extortionate price you mean....
Reply 13
Original post by CloudMan
a 3 hour train to London at an extortionate price you mean....

Not if you engage your brain and get tickets in advance
Original post by jct1993
Not if you engage your brain and get tickets in advance

Well someone going to Durham is obviously an Oxbridge/LSE reject so they wouldn't really have a brain to engage....

City: The city is quite small, but it has everything you really need. The Durham bubble is real, on the streets I would normally nod my head or wave hello 2-3 times whenever I headed to Tesco/MC/Science site.

Accommodation: Your mileage will vary. Some students get amazing rooms (VisitEngland 4 star BnB, real historic castle, newly renovated rooms), while others will be in rooms ages away from anywhere on top of a hill, or just not be nice in general. In 2nd and usually 3rd year, you live out with your mates in a house, usually in the viaduct area (near the train station) which is usually quite decent, although overpriced for NE England.

Lectures: I cant speak for every course but for my course it was a lecturer in front of 300 students and we would listen to the powerpoint. Every week or so we had a seminar, where we would discuss some of the topics discussed in lecture. Many students didnt show up to lectures, I remember freshers week students had to sit on the stairs and later on it was half full.

Sports: Durham takes its sports very seriously. One of the reasons I came to Durham was because of this. Even the less gifted athletes usually played a college sport.

Other: Durham is full of private/public school types (severity depends on college), and it did feel a lot like an extension of boarding school for me (but with alcohol of course...).

I am saying this from my personal perspective, but there are definitely others who will disagree with me. Your Durham experience will vary significantly depending on what college you are in, what friendship groups you join, what clubs or sports you play, etc.
thank you very much!!
Students at Durham are very lucky to live in such a vibrant City with views
Everyone who tells you income doesn't mattwr is lying to you. Income does matter in Durham university. Especially when it comes to the social part. The university itself doesn't discriminate, and neither will your fellow students. Everyone will be accepting, but you can expect during your first few weeks a lot of "so what school you're from... Oh never heard of it" 'Cause its probably not a private school.

The reason money matters is because many of the kids will have buttomless wallets, daddies money to spent on a night out every night. Don't feel compelled to have to keep up. The worst part is often the high barrier to social events costs. My college and i **** you not charged me £240 for a pair of tickets our college ball. Then i had to get a tuxedo and spent a ton of cash for drinks until the sun rises. That night was worth the cost of one month rent for slme people. Its worse for girls who are encouraged to get a dress for every ball they'll attend.

It's of course al consentual, but yeah if you want to be part of all the fun then either have well off parents or chose the plenty of free options. Skip balls but come to socials at the library instead. No weekend away but a night at fabios will do.

Its not that bad tho you'll still enjoy yourself
Good luck

Before i forget this was just the social part, university lessons cost money as well. Books are freaking experience. Check your reading list and the prices of each book. It can easily accumulate to £300 depending on your modules
(edited 5 years ago)
Isn't it a bit stupid for people to discriminate against you if you went to a public/state school? You're from a state school and they're from a private school and you've both ended up at same university for the same course. However, one person was low income and had to work hard for their place at university, whilst the other one didn't?

Quick Reply

Latest