The Student Room Group

Got B in AS, possible to get A overall after doing A Level?

If I got a B in AS Maths, then is it possible to get an A overall after completing A level?

Does that mean I need to get A* in A Level Maths in order to achieve the overall A grade at the end of the 2 year course? (and how big is the jump from AS to A Level Math?)

Didn't plan well and only studied 2 weeks prior to the exams, and did nothing throughout the whole year before that.

I don't want to resits, feels like it'll eat up into my time while studying for A Level Math at the same time.
Yes. It’s possible but it’s going to be hard to change habits. You will have to improve your study skills
What was your percentage for mathematics?
Reply 3
Original post by hiperson1234
If I got a B in AS Maths, then is it possible to get an A overall after completing A level?

Does that mean I need to get A* in A Level Maths in order to achieve the overall A grade at the end of the 2 year course? (and how big is the jump from AS to A Level Math?)

Didn't plan well and only studied 2 weeks prior to the exams, and did nothing throughout the whole year before that.

I don't want to resits, feels like it'll eat up into my time while studying for A Level Math at the same time.

You need 480 UMS in total (over AS and A2) for an A in the Modular system. It is definitely possible, just make sure you score 80’s minimum in C3,C4 and your mech/stats module
Original post by Tlameloisstrange
What was your percentage for mathematics?

I got 71%. Btw, im doing international AS and A level, just so you guys don't get confused.
Original post by HateOCR
You need 480 UMS in total (over AS and A2) for an A in the Modular system. It is definitely possible, just make sure you score 80’s minimum in C3,C4 and your mech/stats module

Ah, could you explain the UMS a bit further? Becuase for my AS I did pure and stats, component 13 and 63 respectively (november 2017 series). (international, too)

Doing A Level this year and I think I'll be doing the pure and stats modules again.

Also, the total UMS is 600 for Math, right? And you're saying we need 480 UMS which is 80% of 600. However if I got 71%, how many UMS points do I have right now, and what is the minimum grade I'll need to achieve in my A Level Pure and stats papers?
I got 71%. Btw, im doing international AS and A level, just so you guys don't get confused.

CIE ? If you passed pure maths, then it’s possible to move the B to an A but it’s going to be a lot difficult because you got a lower B
CIE ? If you passed pure maths, then it’s possible to move the B to an A but it’s going to be a lot difficult because you got a lower B

Yes, CIE is correct.

As for passing the pure maths, are you talking about AS or A Level? If you're talking AS, then I'm pretty sure I did well in the Stats paper, however I feel like there were three 5-6 mark questions on the Pure where I kinda f***ed up, and the last question on the test which was 2 or 3 marks. If I were to guess, probably around 50/75 for Pure.
Yes, CIE is correct.

As for passing the pure maths, are you talking about AS or A Level? If you're talking AS, then I'm pretty sure I did well in the Stats paper, however I feel like there were three 5-6 mark questions on the Pure where I kinda f***ed up, and the last question on the test which was 2 or 3 marks. If I were to guess, probably around 50/75 for Pure.

You’ll need to ace your P3. Majority of the marks come from pure maths. I did CIE maths too. I’m going to write my A2 exams on May.
Reply 9
Ah, could you explain the UMS a bit further? Becuase for my AS I did pure and stats, component 13 and 63 respectively (november 2017 series). (international, too)

Doing A Level this year and I think I'll be doing the pure and stats modules again.

Also, the total UMS is 600 for Math, right? And you're saying we need 480 UMS which is 80% of 600. However if I got 71%, how many UMS points do I have right now, and what is the minimum grade I'll need to achieve in my A Level Pure and stats papers?

Sorry i assumed you were a home Student studying Edexcel. What exam board are you on? You can find the UMS needed on grade boundaries that should be released on the exam boards website
You’ll need to ace your P3. Majority of the marks come from pure maths. I did CIE maths too. I’m going to write my A2 exams on May.

OK, so when you say I need to ace P3, could you give a rough estimate on which percentage to obtain on the modules to be tested on? It's not really clear to me atm.

Because originally, I was thinking I need 89% in A Level (for both pure/stats and any other module my school wants us to do, combined), and to me it became 71% (AS) + 89% (A2) = 80% grade at the end of the 2 year course.

Although, now I'm not too sure about it since there's also UMS and my school doesn't give us any info about this, so it's unclear to me what I really need.

Going off the other guy's reply, If I need 480 out of 600 UMS points, does this mean 71% x 200 = 142 points (for AS), and then 84.5% x 400 = 338 points (for A Level), which = 480 points?
Original post by HateOCR
Sorry i assumed you were a home Student studying Edexcel. What exam board are you on? You can find the UMS needed on grade boundaries that should be released on the exam boards website

I'm international, so I'm pretty sure my exam board is CIE? (well, i think it is).

Just checked the cambridge website, and they have this exam board:

Cambridge Assessment International Education

I wasn't able to find where they had the UMS listed, so is it possible you could help find it out?
Extra info if you guys need that I just found out:

http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/images/203041-2017-2018-syllabus.pdf (page 9 and 10)

I did P1 and S1 for AS

for A Level, I believe I will do P1 & P3 plus M1 & S1 OR S1 & S2 - not sure which one yet.

Quick Reply

Latest