The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Don't call drug users 'junkies' or 'crackheads.

Here's some better language to use, we're all persons who use drugs after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42630131
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

nah they're all crackheads
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
nah they're all crackheads

Yourself included?
Original post by the beer
Yourself included?

i don't consume drugs. i don't even drink coffee / take paracetamol
Reply 4
Original post by gr8wizard10
i don't consume drugs. i don't even drink coffee / take paracetamol

OK well that's not normal.
Reply 5
[video="youtube;o25I2fzFGoY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25I2fzFGoY[/video]
Reply 6
Lol why can’t we call someone who uses drugs a drug user?
Sure most people use drugs to some extent, I mean I myself am on strong opiates for pain (legally) But there is a big difference between me (and others that take legal drugs in a safe manner) than an addict, I dont honestly care if I offend some drug addict because 99% of the time it is their fault and they have already ruined their life.
Drug addiction is a problem and changing the language to be nicer (in most cases it just seems to be changing words for no reason just like coloured people-people of colour) drug addicts are not caring about someone using addict instead of use problem, they are finding any way to get themselves their next fix
Reply 8
Original post by Trapz99
Lol why can’t we call someone who uses drugs a drug user?

It said negative language presented people who use drugs as "physically inferior or morally flawed".

It also said it was preferable to refer to a "person who uses drugs" rather than a "drug user" - and to avoid calling those with non-problematic drug use as "recreational, casual or experimental users".

It said it acknowledged the "negative impact" of some drug use but added that prohibitionist policies "increased stigma", telling political leaders not to "stoke fears" about drug use.

It added that current laws treated people who use drugs as "sub-human, non-citizens and scapegoats for wider societal problems".
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd have thought it was beneficial to society to stigmatize drug dealing, drug addiction and dependency. If a stigma puts people off getting addicted then we need to use such language more, not less.

One wonders, sometimes, whether the UN has the best interests of mankind at heart.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Sure most people use drugs to some extent, I mean I myself am on strong opiates for pain (legally) But there is a big difference between me (and others that take legal drugs in a safe manner) than an addict, I dont honestly care if I offend some drug addict because 99% of the time it is their fault and they have already ruined their life.
Drug addiction is a problem and changing the language to be nicer (in most cases it just seems to be changing words for no reason just like coloured people-people of colour) drug addicts are not caring about someone using addict instead of use problem, they are finding any way to get themselves their next fix

Drug addicts are ill. A lot of people who have addictions are driven to drugs through horrible life experiences such as abuse and mental illness. It’s not as simple as “it’s their fault”. Addiction is complex and it f*cks up your brain. When I was in a hospital for my depression, we were mixed with NA and none of them were horrible selfish people. They were caring and terrified and wanted more than anything to get out. Do some research into the brain of an addict before you make such ignorant assumptions. It’s so much deeper than you make out.
Reply 11
Original post by cat_mac
Drug addicts are ill. A lot of people who have addictions are driven to drugs through horrible life experiences such as abuse and mental illness. It’s not as simple as “it’s their fault”. Addiction is complex and it f*cks up your brain. When I was in a hospital for my depression, we were mixed with NA and none of them were horrible selfish people. They were caring and terrified and wanted more than anything to get out. Do some research into the brain of an addict before you make such ignorant assumptions. It’s so much deeper than you make out.

'Person with substance use disorder'!
To be fair, I don't often call people smackheads when they're in ear-shot. I doubt it disturbs their recovery.
Original post by cat_mac

I accept that some people have horrible lives, but in the end who makes the choice to take the drug (for most cases) it is them.
Here's some better language to use, we're all persons who use drugs after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42630131

What???

Using the same logic:

1. Use: People with a mental dependence of liking children
Don’t use: Peadophile

2. Use: People unable to take consent before engaging in sex
Don’t use: Rapist

3. Use: People desparate for the love and attention of their community, so they bomb other innocents
Dont use: Terrorist

You can see where this is going. We need to stop this rubbish and call things as they are. We are reducing serious issues to “mental problems” and trying to justify it.

In the end, do you, but we should be careful.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
One wonders, sometimes, whether the UN has the best interests of mankind at heart.

:naughty:

your appointment with the linguistic reprogramming therapist is tomorrow at 9:30 am.
Reply 16
Original post by Good bloke
I'd have thought it was beneficial to society to stigmatize drug dealing, drug addiction and dependency. If a stigma puts people off getting addicted then we need to use such language more, not less.

I'm not sure pilling on more stigma will help, or that a little less would hurt, but i kinda agree.
Reply 17
Original post by Wired_1800
What???

Using the same logic:
Peadophile
Rapist
Terrorist

A peadophile, a rapist and a terrorist all have victims, a drug user, not so much.
A peadophile, a rapist and a terrorist all have victims, a drug user, not so much.

A drug user has victims as well. They have family, friends, in some cases people they have stolen from, the NHS, Police and so on.

If drug use was an independent action without ripple effect, nobody would care. However, there are many cases, where their actions affect other people. They affect the NHS which we all depend on, the police, the community and so on.

This is not only Class A but also alcohol and other drugs. We need to understand that our actions have consequences that affect other people.

Don't support junkies, drugs kill people.
Reply 19
A drug user has victims as well. They have family, friends, in some cases people they have stolen from, the NHS, Police and so on.

If drug use was an independent action without ripple effect, nobody would care. However, there are many cases, where their actions affect other people. They affect the NHS which we all depend on, the police, the community and so on.

This is not only Class A but also alcohol and other drugs. We need to understand that our actions have consequences that affect other people.

I'm a drug user and my drug use has never harmed anyone or cost the NHS, police or community anything, if anything it has saved the NHS money and benefited family, friends and the community and the majority of drug users can say the same.

Don't support junkies, drugs kill people.

Doesn't make much sense to me, not supporting junkies kills people.

Latest

Trending

Trending