The Student Room Group

IAL Chemistry Unit 4 Jan 2018

I didn’t see a thread for this so here y’all go. How was it? (Edexcel)

Update: I got hold of the paper just recently, so if anyone wants it just email me your email addresses and I’ll be glad to send it to you.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How did answer the 6 mark question about determining the rate of reaction?
Reply 2
What u think the grade boundary is gonna be for an a*??
Reply 3
Original post by MrRJ
How did answer the 6 mark question about determining the rate of reaction?

u had to quench then titrate with an acid at different times and draw conc/time graph to get the rate from the gradient.
Reply 4
what were the answers for mcqs? i wanna know whether most of mine turned out right or not
Reply 5
Original post by a271999
What u think the grade boundary is gonna be for an a*??
I think they may be high. They usually always are, but since I feel like this paper wasn't all that hard, it might be high. A lot of my friends did really well. :frown:
Worst exam ever.
Guys what was the order of reaction that you got?
Original post by Aima qureshi
Worst exam ever.

Same

What did you guys get for kc ?
Reply 9
Original post by bfis
I think they may be high. They usually always are, but since I feel like this paper wasn't all that hard, it might be high. A lot of my friends did really well. :frown:

I agree with this. I found the exam really easy too and so did my friends. I hope they’re not really really high though
Reply 10
Original post by funkypineapple
Same

Reply 11
Original post by funkypineapple
Same

I got 4.82

Original post by Aima qureshi
Guys what was the order of reaction that you got?

I got r=k[halogenoalkane], dunno if it’s correct or not as some said NaOH was there and some said it wasn’t

And what did y’all write for ethanol being used instead of water?.
Reply 12
What did u guys get for the rate equation and rate constant?
I got first order for the halogenoalkane
Reply 13
Original post by Bebou
What did u guys get for the rate equation and rate constant?
I got first order for the halogenoalkane
right? I got first order too, but so many of my friends told me that it was wrong. If it does turn out wrong, will we have error carried forward for it? :frown:
Hi
Guys, for the 6 mark question regarding finding the rate, I said measure at 2 minute intervals but didn't state for how long like 10 minutes for example, and said rate would be of mass of ppt (cuz I used AgNO3 addition to C4H9Br) not change of mass...I'm just worried that they would reject that cuz I remember I've seen them reject that before..making me lose all 6 marks..what do u guys think?
Reply 16
What did you guys get for the rate constant value in section c ? did you use the volumes of the solutions in your calculation or the volume of each reactant divided by the volume of the whole reaction mixture ?
Original post by a271999

we're on the same boat, I got 4.25 too!!!!
Original post by bfis
right? I got first order too, but so many of my friends told me that it was wrong. If it does turn out wrong, will we have error carried forward for it? :frown:

No worries, it is first order ^^
so the rate equation is
rate= k [C5H9Br]

also, the reaction is Sn1, as only 1 specie is involved in the RDS
Original post by Rockitty99
I got 4.82

I got r=k[halogenoalkane], dunno if it’s correct or not as some said NaOH was there and some said it wasn’t

And what did y’all write for ethanol being used instead of water?.

The ethanol q came out in the one of the paper before, it's because water can be reduced to OH- form NaOH

Quick Reply

Latest