The Student Room Group

When should I start revising for my AS exams

Hey

I do Chemistry biology geography and Food and Nutrition Science (H.E) for AS level for ccea

I got 8a*s 1a at gcse so I’m bright. I started revising for my gcses during my study leave which was at the start of may so I basically had 2 weeks prior to my exams starting to revise. I left a lot of it for the days I had off before each exams and succeeded, however I found gcses in general very easy

I’m not sure when to start revising for my AS’s. Should I start over easter holidays? (Easter is early this year, first of April). My exams start mid may (science practicals start of may). Is April too late? I’m good at last minute revision so I’m not one to start very early in general when it comes to revising. With chemistry I’ve been revising really hard as I went along however the other 3 not so much
Hi
I am a year 13 student doing Biology, Chemistry and History, if you start earlier you will feel the benefits trust me, especially biology as it is so content heavy, I began fairly late (just before Easter) and regretted it really (A in Bio and B's in Chem and History) which I know I could have done better in had I started earlier, I wouldn't take any chances by leaving it late so maybe start revision now and then by Easter if you learn all the content for your subjects you will just have to practice q's which will be a great position to be in
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ssmyth574
Hey

I do Chemistry biology geography and Food and Nutrition Science (H.E) for AS level for ccea

I got 8a*s 1a at gcse so I’m bright. I started revising for my gcses during my study leave which was at the start of may so I basically had 2 weeks prior to my exams starting to revise. I left a lot of it for the days I had off before each exams and succeeded, however I found gcses in general very easy

I’m not sure when to start revising for my AS’s. Should I start over easter holidays? (Easter is early this year, first of April). My exams start mid may (science practicals start of may). Is April too late? I’m good at last minute revision so I’m not one to start very early in general when it comes to revising. With chemistry I’ve been revising really hard as I went along however the other 3 not so much

I'd definitely recommend starting as early as possible. There is quite a difference between GCSE and As/a-level and it doesn't do any harm to do that little extra just to cement that knowledge for the exam.

When you say you're good at last minute revision, is that based off your GCSE experience? As I think it may be a bit optimistic to think you can recreate that in these exams. I'm not saying you can't, i'm just saying don't rely on that mindset :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much!! I’ll definitely be starting on my weekends, and what I meant by last minute was that it worked then and that I’m a fast learnerbut ofc I don’t want to leave everything last minute for my a levels :smile:
Original post by Joemassey1
Hi
I am a year 13 student doing Biology, Chemistry and History, if you start earlier you will feel the benefits trust me, especially biology as it is so content heavy, I began fairly late (just before Easter) and regretted it really (A in Bio and B's in Chem and History) which I know I could have done better in had I started earlier, I wouldn't take any chances by leaving it late so maybe start revision now and then by Easter if you learn all the content for your subjects you will just have to practice q's which will be a great position to be in

Thanks
This has actually helped
Am in year 12 and I wanted to begin this early (January) to read buh I got discouraged.
Thanks anyway, u are a life saver

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending