The Student Room Group

Which universities can I be looking at with these GCSE grades?

Like how high in the league table?

English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 6
Core Science - B
Additional Science - A
Further Additional - C
Psychology - C
Sociology - B
Geography - A
Religious Studies - A
Spanish - C

Scroll to see replies

Oxbridge may be difficult, but most universities don't hold GCSE grades in too high regard
Universities like Nottingham Trent, York St John, Northumbria, Leeds Beckett should be achievable with those grades but there's nothing to stop you going higher especially if your A2 predictions are good and you're applying for something like English/RS.
Original post by Traore

English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 6
Core Science - B
Additional Science - A
Further Additional - C
Psychology - C
Sociology - B
Geography - A
Religious Studies - A
Spanish - C

There is no such thing as 'the league table'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
For most unis and courses, GCSEs aren't that important as long as you pass everything. What they really look at is your A level predicted grades, which they'll compare with your AS grades (if you do AS exams) to work out how likely they think you are to achieve them. Those are really good GCSE grades though, well done!
a level results are much more important to unis than GCSE. as long as English and maths are passed then all is ok
I wouldn't recommend Oxford or Cambridge but many other universities will definitely be achievable. Most don't even look at your GCSE grades, all that they care about is that you passed English, Maths (and depending on the course Science) and have 5 GCSE's A*-C
Original post by Traore

English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 6
Core Science - B
Additional Science - A
Further Additional - C
Psychology - C
Sociology - B
Geography - A
Religious Studies - A
Spanish - C

As long as you get good AS/A level grades you can go wherever you want excluding Oxford as for some reason they really care about GCSE grades.
Original post by aurelioii
Universities like Nottingham Trent, York St John, Northumbria, Leeds Beckett should be achievable with those grades but there's nothing to stop you going higher especially if your A2 predictions are good and you're applying for something like English/RS.

This right here is BS, other than oxbridge gcses dont matter, you can apply to any russel group as long as ur a2s are good
You probably can't apply to Oxbridge but every other uni is open to you as long as you've got the grades they ask for in their entry requirement.
Outside of Oxford and Medicine, universities really don't care about your GCSEs. Note that I said "Oxford" and not "Oxbridge", as mutltiple Cambridge ATs have stated on here and elsewhere that GCSEs are not strongly considered, and students being accepted with high GCSE profiles is more of a case of correlation than causation (as those who do well in GCSE usually do well in A-level - but there are also students who do well in A-level after doing poorly in GCSE. You have also done better than "poorly" so, I wouldn't worry). All of the official reps on here from Cambridge colleges have also indicated they wouldn't reject a student solely on the basis of GCSEs.
League tables matter only in terms of statistics for overall or subject specific achievement. In all honestly, they don’t hohold that much weighting in the overall quality of a university. You’re better off browsing through the areas of the country you’d lilies to to study, finding 3 or 4 universities in each area, then narrowing it down to 1 or 2 based on league tables, student satisfaction, threads on TSR and visiting the universities firsthand. That will give you the ultimate reflection of how well you think you will fit in and achieve there.

In terms of your achieved GCSE grades, they aren’t that relevant. Of course they matter, but if you have strong predictions at A Level, a stand-out personal statement and a glowing reference, you could give anywhere a go. Personally, recommend choosing a ‘safe’ option that suits your predicted grades, a couple with lower grades just in case, and a couple with higher grades in case you exceed your expectations. Remember, even if the typical offer is a little too high, contextually lowered offers are very common, and if you take EPQ they may also offer concessions for this.

Best of luck! Please don’t read too far into league tables - they really aren’t that conclusive!
(edited 6 years ago)
What course are you thinking of doing or which A levels?
Original post by artful_lounger
Outside of Oxford and Medicine, universities really don't care about your GCSEs. Note that I said "Oxford" and not "Oxbridge", as mutltiple Cambridge ATs have stated on here and elsewhere that GCSEs are not strongly considered, and students being accepted with high GCSE profiles is more of a case of correlation than causation (as those who do well in GCSE usually do well in A-level - but there are also students who do well in A-level after doing poorly in GCSE. You have also done better than "poorly" so, I wouldn't worry). All of the official reps on here from Cambridge colleges have also indicated they wouldn't reject a student solely on the basis of GCSEs.

interestingly my friend actually got an offer from oxford for AAA history when his GCSEs were
1 A*
4 As
3 Bs
2 Cs
and his predicted grades were either A*AA or AAA. So it still is possible (we goto an outstanding school so it wasnt contextual either).
With good grades for a-levels, you can try Manchester, Liverpool, and universities in that boundary. Later I will publish some photos from book about universities, so u can see ut
9593E304-F978-4FB5-99A0-263CB96B911A.jpg.jpeg

Check out this in internet, u will see which grades are needed for which university
None.

Spoiler

Original post by Traore

English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 6
Core Science - B
Additional Science - A
Further Additional - C
Psychology - C
Sociology - B
Geography - A
Religious Studies - A
Spanish - C

well my friend who got 5 Cs,1 D, 2A and 1B at gcse got offers from leeds, queen mary, edinburgh, glasgow and st. andrews and ended up achieving A*AAA for st. andrews
Original post by aurelioii

Ohh puhlzz. I got even terrible GCSEs and hold 5 Russell group uni offers. GCSEs only matter for medicine/vet sci/dentistry or maybe Oxbridge, other than that, all you need is English/Maths at grade C
Your GCSEs will be fine for pretty much anywhere. Probably not Oxbridge or a really competitive course like Medicine. Most universities don't care about GCSEs. Do well at AS and get good predicted A2 grades and you are good to go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending