The Student Room Group

GCSE Art 2018

Hi guys, I've just found out about the themes for my GCSE Art Exam (If you don't know they are Human figures, Interiors, In the news, Light and dark, Materials, Personal histories and Connections) I think I am going to go with Personal histories because please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it artwork to do my memories and the past. I have some ideas but I'm not sure if they link to Personal Histories. Could you help me with some ideas? And what are you guys choosing?

this isn't my Pinterest, however, look at this woman's boards there amazing
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pipsticks/
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Me too, I feel like personal histories will be best because there’s a wide variety to choose from? I assume I could use aspects of my history like hobbies as well as places I’ve travelled and feelings I’ve had. Do you think that’s what they’re looking for? Obviously I’ll try to complete them quite abstract and meaningful, I heard the more creative you are the better the chance of attaining more marks.
I don't know, I found the options quite boring but I am planning on going with In the news because with all that is going on there will be plenty of material.
Reply 3
Original post by lily.pollard.
Me too, I feel like personal histories will be best because there’s a wide variety to choose from? I assume I could use aspects of my history like hobbies as well as places I’ve travelled and feelings I’ve had. Do you think that’s what they’re looking for? Obviously I’ll try to complete them quite abstract and meaningful, I heard the more creative you are the better the chance of attaining more marks.

Yeah I've started to create a board on Pinterest but its quite hard seen as personal histories isn't a topic in art
Original post by Becky_Booth
Yeah I've started to create a board on Pinterest but its quite hard seen as personal histories isn't a topic in art

I know what you mean, it’s quite a generic topic but that kinda makes it easier too
Reply 5
Original post by username3724586
I don't know, I found the options quite boring but I am planning on going with In the news because with all that is going on there will be plenty of material.

Yeah in the new would probably be my second option as you can just create art through news stories
Reply 6
Original post by lily.pollard.
I know what you mean, it’s quite a generic topic but that kinda makes it easier too

Do you have any ideas?
Do you have any ideas?

Well for me i think I’m just going to do like I said. Past hobbies and places i’ve travelled, important events and stuff like that. Just made quite abstract and with my best materials
Reply 8
I am also doing in the news, what should I do. I thought about maybe paint a scene from a recent event in the news, but idk if it would be too edgy to have a terrorist painting.
Reply 9
Original post by ckhgray
I am also doing in the news, what should I do. I thought about maybe paint a scene from a recent event in the news, but idk if it would be too edgy to have a terrorist painting.

like i said im doing personal histories however art is art if you think doing a terrorist painting would be good quality then id go for it but you could create something to do with missing people or something i think in the news is quite a delicate theme
Reply 10
What exam board is this for and are these the themes for the proper final exam? Just wondering because my art teacher isn't telling my class until the end of February and I'm trying to work out what it is so I can get a bit of a head start :/
Reply 11
like i said im doing personal histories however art is art if you think doing a terrorist painting would be good quality then id go for it but you could create something to do with missing people or something i think in the news is quite a delicate theme

There was a quite big missing person event in my area recently, Corrie McKeague, but how would I use that to create a piece.
Reply 12
Original post by daisy.r
What exam board is this for and are these the themes for the proper final exam? Just wondering because my art teacher isn't telling my class until the end of February and I'm trying to work out what it is so I can get a bit of a head start :/

I don't remember the exam board as i dont have the paper with me but these are the options for your final piece.
Original post by ckhgray
There was a quite big missing person event in my area recently, Corrie McKeague, but how would I use that to create a piece.

So he went missing in the bury st edmunds earea of suffolk right? so you could create a landscape painting or something in the back ground with him as the main focus as a drawing or something your strong at and he worked as a royal air force regiment gunner so you could put air force planes in the background too or put him in uniform
Original post by ckhgray
I don't remember the exam board as i dont have the paper with me but these are the options for your final piece.

Hey Ive found this out from a friend and just searching over the internet but it will be confirmed tomorrow but this is for the actuall final exam in may and it is for AQA
Reply 15
ye that's the guy they traced his phone to a landfill site so I could do something like that, thanks. what area are you from?
Original post by ckhgray
ye that's the guy they traced his phone to a landfill site so I could do something like that, thanks. what area are you from?

Ye that would be a good idea and near suffolk thats why i knew some facts
Do you guys not have to create your final pieces from your own photographs ? I would do something on missing people but how what would I take photographs of ?
Reply 18
you take photos of the sites where people we last sites or of missing people posters
Original post by whateverisaround
Do you guys not have to create your final pieces from your own photographs ? I would do something on missing people but how what would I take photographs of ?

scared faces or the surroundings you could make it seem like someone u no has gone missing too though

Quick Reply

Latest