The Student Room Group

Lacking in ways to revise

I’m coming to a point where I don’t know what to do any more I don’t know where to start with revision. I winged my GCSE’s and I feel like that’s holding me back in my a levels as I haven’t got the study skills that everyone else has. I don’t know how to revise. I know a few techniques, videos, flash cards and mind maps. But what’s the most effective way to do it? Any help would be much appreciated.
The most effective way varies for different people. Try out different techniques until you find one that works for you.
Original post by ameliashawx
I’m coming to a point where I don’t know what to do any more I don’t know where to start with revision. I winged my GCSE’s and I feel like that’s holding me back in my a levels as I haven’t got the study skills that everyone else has. I don’t know how to revise. I know a few techniques, videos, flash cards and mind maps. But what’s the most effective way to do it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Amelia

Revision can be so hard. Don't worry that you're feeling stuck, it happens to everyone at some point. Here are a few tips to help you get started with it again...

Active revision is usually the most effective type of revision (just reading your notes often isn't enough). Practice using the information that you've learnt so that it sticks in your head. You can do this in a few ways:

summarise it (how would you outline everything you've learnt to someone who doesn't know about the topic area?- what are the most important bits?)

make a mind map, chart, brainstorm, diagram or drawing of the key points (stick these up around your desk)

quiz yourself (or ask your friends or family to fire quick questions at you)

set yourself some mock exam questions or ask your school for some previous papers what might you be asked?

produce a summary sheet - stick to one sheet and outline the most important parts of your learning - keep referring to it to check that you understand the relationships between the different areas of your topic

create a revision timetable - cover all topic areas and ensure you set aside enough time for each. Build breaks into your day and make sure you fit some relaxation time in too

Hope this helps as a starter. Good luck.

Laura
What subjects do you do? For me for the sciences it was:

1) Have strong revision material. For most subjects that means having a good revision guide + text book to revise from. Also having question & answers / past papers from class is good revision material.

2) Sit down & revise and make sure you've read over your revision material at least 1-2 times before the revision period in the weeks before exams. The aim is to be familiar with the content so in the revision period you'd be able to brush over everything quicker.

3) Do past papers. This matters a lot more for more technical subjects like Maths, Chemistry, Physics, but is vital for all subjects really so you're familiar with the content. Use mark schemes too obviously to check.

Aside from that, there are things IRL that matter which can help or hinder you with revision. Firstly where you revise matters a lot - for my GCSEs I had a quiet room so I could study in peace there, and that worked for me. I took breaks every hour or so / had a window to gaze out every now and then to give my mind a break. For A levels / Uni home was less busy so I went to the local library that was open late, which worked decently for me. Secondly distractions matter too - for my GCSEs I unplugged my PC and didn't have a smart phone so was distracted less. For A levels onwards it was tougher as I need both my laptop and phone, but I had to make a conscious effort to not get distracted. Good food etc matter too.
Hello AmeliaShawx,

I graduated from UCL last year with an MSc in Management.
From my experience, all students go through the same process.
When revising exams or submitting papers lots of PDF reading is always required.
Research papers, journal articles, textbooks, class material ect., it can get messy fast. Being organize is obviously key!
To stay efficient I use the APP Squeezit to organize my notes and revisions.
It is super cool and easy to use. You can find it on the App Store, only for Mac.
You can make your own study guides, flashcards and mind-maps out of any PDFs.
It is very useful and timesaving !
No need to print out PDFs or rewrite.
Hope this helps-

Feel free to reach out !

Good luck
Reply 5
Original post by bexterbrice
Hello AmeliaShawx,

I graduated from UCL last year with an MSc in Management.
From my experience, all students go through the same process.
When revising exams or submitting papers lots of PDF reading is always required.
Research papers, journal articles, textbooks, class material ect., it can get messy fast. Being organize is obviously key!
To stay efficient I use the APP Squeezit to organize my notes and revisions.
It is super cool and easy to use. You can find it on the App Store, only for Mac.
You can make your own study guides, flashcards and mind-maps out of any PDFs.
It is very useful and timesaving !
No need to print out PDFs or rewrite.
Hope this helps-

Feel free to reach out !

Good luck

Wow well done!! I definitely agree with that it’s something you’ve got to find the right way to do it for you.

The app sounds amazing, but unfortunately I don’t have a Mac :frown: and probably won’t have one anytime soon due to the cost.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending