The Student Room Group

Rolls Royce Graduate 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Imansyah17
is there anybody doing interview by skype? for operations management graduate development program?

I don't think there is a skype interview, I got invited for an assessment centre following my test results and application screening. Hope this helps
has anyone applied for the electronics engineering graduate development programme?
Has anyone applied for the Commercial Graduate Scheme ? :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by SinthP
Hey everyone! I applied for the Operations Management scheme for the 2018 September intake. Applied like 3 weeks ago and got invited for an assessment centre taking place on the 19th. Anyone else in the same situation? Worried about the technical interview :s-smilie:

Hi, how was it? any tips?
Just wondering, did any of you wear a suit to the test centre or go more casual.
Original post by Elliemuz
Just wondering, did any of you wear a suit to the test centre or go more casual.

Yes - wear a suit. I've never seen anyone not wear a suit to these assessment days within the two years I spent working within the assessment building.
Original post by Elliemuz

Unless you're going to a company you know is very casual, always wear a suit to interviews/assessment centres.
How long did everyone’s AC last approx? I’ve been invited to one next week
Reply 68
Original post by BranwenSion
How long did everyone’s AC last approx? I’ve been invited to one next week

8:30am-1/1:30pm so not too long - intense day though.

Good luck!
Reply 69
Original post by rogershettie
Hi, where are you going to be based? I have been offered the materials lab apprenticeship at Bristol and am trying to find out who/how many are going to be at the same site

hello friend,
This is Rohit from India,I am a fresher Electronics and Electrical Engineer and looking for Job.I would like to know that how should i apply for Rolls Royce Graduate programme and being an Indian am i eligible for that programme.
Hi, I am looking to apply for the HR graduate scheme. On the application it says about having to relocate throughout the scheme, is there a more generic question or does anyone know if this scheme does actually require you to move around a bit? Thanks!
Original post by rohitrm
hello friend,
This is Rohit from India,I am a fresher Electronics and Electrical Engineer and looking for Job.I would like to know that how should i apply for Rolls Royce Graduate programme and being an Indian am i eligible for that programme.

Unless you have the right working VISA, you would not be eligible to enrol for the program.

Original post by KateF123
Hi, I am looking to apply for the HR graduate scheme. On the application it says about having to relocate throughout the scheme, is there a more generic question or does anyone know if this scheme does actually require you to move around a bit? Thanks!

RR is an international company, so yes, there is a potential for a relocation during the graduate program.
Regarding where and how often, it depends on company's requirements and budget.
Original post by SharedKnowledge
Before the day, RR sends an email with the following details (literal copy paste from email): The Assessment Centre is designed to assess both your technical and personal skills. You’ll be briefed on the running order of the day when you first arrive, but it involves the following activities:

Competency Interview you’ll be asked to give examples of times you’ve demonstrated some of the competencies that are important to us.

Application of Knowledge Interview this exercise allows us to gauge your technical understanding and application of knowledge for the specific business area that invited you to interview.

Presentation about yourself we’d like you to prepare a 10-minute presentation about yourself that highlights your skills and abilities. We want you to really sell yourself, so be prepared to: o Convince us why you should join our Development Programme.

Explain why your knowledge, skills and experience make you an ideal fit for Rolls-Royce.

Discuss how you’d add value in your role.

Answer questions about your presentation. (An additional 10 minutes for questions and answers will be scheduled after your presentation). You’ll be presenting to a maximum of 2 assessors and the way you deliver your presentation is up to you. Basic presentation materials will be available in the form of pens and a white board; however, we want you to keep things simple. By all means bring notes or handouts, but overhead projectors or laptop projectors will not be available. Please ensure you have completed all your preparation work for this in advance of the assessment day, as no extra time will be available on the day.

Group Exercise we’ll ask you to participate in a group activity that will allow us to observe how you work with others in a team environment.

Ability Test you’ll be expected to complete a module that you’ve previously completed online, to validate your scores. You may wish to re-visit the online practise questions at http:\\getstarted.cut-e.com

We’ll also be assessing your knowledge of our company, so we recommend that you prepare via our website: www.rolls-royce.com

And these are my comments

Competency interview: look online for ALL the competency questions available. I found around 50 and answered them all at home, in preparation. Noted, some of the answers are going to be relatively similar one to another and RR asked me between 5 and 10 questions. But this interview went surprisingly quick, I was the first one out.. to be point were I was really scared I screwed up. Not a great way to start the day, although I kept a positive attitude and move on.

Technical Interview: so the general view I found while preparing was.. you can't prepare. Not exactly true, depends on your character type. As always, be sure to tell the thinking process to the other person as you are thinking about the answer. If you are confident and quite talkative (like me) just behave as normal: say out loud what you are thinking, ask questions (!), put "maybe, could be, probably". Try to find the logical link. ie they asked me about a part located just after combustion, what it was, what material it was. I had no clue. So I started talking about blades, well this doesnt look like a blade, probably a blade holder? material lets see.. well high temperature, high pressure, metal that can sustain these temps.. titanium? my logical thinking was right, but the material was inconel (steel + nickel). So talk! for the other type, introvert, quiet, there is a solution. A friend of mine went a couple of weeks later and he's the introvert type. He researched up and down left and right about fatigue, materials etc (topics will depend on the position). At the start of this interview they'll mention what topic you like at uni and he intelligently mentioned the one he researched. He got asked about these topics. His feedback praised his technical abilities (obvs).

Group exercise: make sure to involve everyone, crack a joke every now and then. Ask for everyone's opinion. Be loud, in a controlled manner. Really liked the activity.

Ability test: same that you took online.

Presentation: you gonna be able to sing it. There's a good article on Forbes about Steve Jobs and his astonishing presentation skills. He wasn't born with them, he practiced for days beforehand. Once you read the script, repeat the presentation for at least an order of magnitude more time that the presentation itself; presentation of 5 minute? repeat it for 50 min. In this case, at least practice for 100 minutes. I didn't mention once during the entire day that I was interested in Aeronautical. Why? partly because it's true, partly because every average Joe is going to say that. Not gonna stand out. When writing my script, I put a big fat question, in capital, at the top: WHY WOULD THEY GET ME INSTEAD OF "INSERT HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL HERE"? You gotta find what makes you stand out. Worked abroad? excellent, blabla quickly adapt to different cultures and ethnicities. I can speak XYZ language, RR worldwide company, excellent.

Regarding order, it was Presentation, Competency, Ability test, Group, Technical for last.
Hope it helps

Would the assessment structure be very similar to this for their engineering degree apprenticeship programme?
Hi! I see that this post is quite old. But may be you will be able to help me.How long did it take to receive the invitation to the Ac after receiving the note that online tests passed successfully?I hate playing waiting game too
It is very similar as the scheme posted, I was there for an internship application but there were also some guys there for the apprenticeship and they had the same schedule (but slightly different questions of course). This year, in general, it a bit shorter than in the above answer, they don't re-test your online test (at least they didn't for us) and they combine the presentation with the competency interview, the day only took ~5 hours.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IrinaTatarinova
Hi! I see that this post is quite old. But may be you will be able to help me.How long did it take to receive the invitation to the Ac after receiving the note that online tests passed successfully?I hate playing waiting game too

It took only a few days for me but a little over a month for my friend. I would keep an eye on your status online as for me that changed after 2/3 days but I didn't get a real invite until ~2weeks later! :wink:
Original post by Chrizzzl
It is very similar as the scheme posted, I was there for an internship application but there were also some guys there for the apprenticeship and they had the same schedule (but slightly different questions of course). This year, in general, it a bit shorter than in the above answer, they don't re-test your online test (at least they didn't for us) and they combine the presentation with the competency interview, the day only took ~5 hours.

thanks! still waiting on them to review my application after passing the tests... I might've applied a little too late! .-.
did anyone get accepted after the assessment centre? and if so how long did it take to get the confirmation email after they called you two days later?
Reply 78
Original post by Just engineering
did anyone get accepted after the assessment centre? and if so how long did it take to get the confirmation email after they called you two days later?

Did you pass your assessment center? if so, for what role?
Yes, I passed the assessment centre for the manufacturing engineering internship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending