The Student Room Group

Aiming for A*!

Hey - man I have no idea who I'm talking to or if anyone will even read this at all - I've decided to start a GYG, in a (hopefully not futile) attempt to motivate me and to record my improvement in terms of grades and learning.

So about me...
I take:
English Literature - predicted 8 - aiming 9
English Language - predicted 8 - aiming 9
Physics - predicted 9 - aiming 9
Chemistry - predicted 8 - aiming 9
Biology - predicted 8 - aiming 9
Maths - predicted 8 - aiming 9
Drama - predicted 7/8 - aiming 9

I would like to improve some of these grades, and hopefully I will!
Original post by NazRaf
Hey - man I have no idea who I'm talking to or if anyone will even read this at all - I've decided to start a GYG, in a (hopefully not futile) attempt to motivate me and to record my improvement in terms of grades and learning.

So about me...
I take:

I'm reading! Best of luck with your exams :smile:

How are you planning to revise for them?
Reply 2
Original post by NazRaf

So about me...
I take:

Wow! Nice target grades. I’ll be reading too!

How come you only take 7 GCSE’s?

If you want to check mine out click the link below (it would be much appreciated)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5119542
heyyy are you in year 10 or year 11?
will be following this for sure :smile:

(check out my gyg if you want!!)
Reply 4
Wow, your predicted grades are really good! It's always good to aim higher than you're predicted :yep: and I'm sure this GYG will help to motivate you :h:
Reply 5
Original post by clouddbubbles
heyyy are you in year 10 or year 11?
will be following this for sure :smile:

(check out my gyg if you want!!)

hey!! I'm in year 11, what year are you in? Aw thank you!! x I'll definitely check yours out :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Sam.T.
Wow! Nice target grades. I’ll be reading too!

How come you only take 7 GCSE’s?

If you want to check mine out click the link below (it would be much appreciated)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5119542

Thanks! I only take 7 this year, because I took 4 last year, our school did our GCSES's across two years. Did you/ Are you do(ing) yours in one year? I'll be sue to check yours out!
Reply 7
Original post by Amefish
Wow, your predicted grades are really good! It's always good to aim higher than you're predicted :yep: and I'm sure this GYG will help to motivate you :h:

Thanks! :smile: Yes, I hope actually writing down what I'm doing and everything will help me too!
Reply 8
Original post by brainzistheword
I'm reading! Best of luck with your exams :smile:

How are you planning to revise for them?

Thanks a lot! :smile: I'm planning to revise using flashcards, revision guides, useful websited and things like that, but I'll go through them in detail in the next few posts!
Original post by NazRaf

So about me...
I take:

Best of luck! If you need any help with English Literature then feel free to message me, or check out some of my A* sample answers on my profile :smile: I hope you achieve the grades!
Original post by NazRaf
hey!! I'm in year 11, what year are you in? Aw thank you!! x I'll definitely check yours out :smile:

thanks!!
i’m in year 10 :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by NazRaf
Thanks! I only take 7 this year, because I took 4 last year, our school did our GCSES's across two years. Did you/ Are you do(ing) yours in one year? I'll be sue to check yours out!

I take 12 GCSE’s, starting from year 9.
Reply 12
So Far...
I took my mocks in December, and I got my results last Friday. Here are the details...

English Literature Paper 1:
Grade 8! Yay! I will hopefully be able to improve on this grade to get a 9!
We had one paper in this subject, which had one question on Jekyll and Hyde and one on Macbeth (anyone else doing these?)
In Jekyll and Hyde, I got 26 marks out of 34 ( the extra 4 marks are for SPAG) which can be improved, and in Macbeth I got 26 marks out of 30.

English Language Paper 1:
Grade 8 again!
We had one paper in this, which consisted of 40 marks reading and 40 marks writing.
In the reading I got 33 and in the writing I got 34 - I think this is the first time I've got more marks on writing than reading!

Chemistry Paper 1:
A very low grade 8 which was rather disappointing, especially because my original predicted grade of a 9 got dropped to an 8 (which is still very good, but is a bit sad due to standards and all that).

Biology Paper 1:
A very low grade 7, which was again really disappointing, but now I know what to work better on. My original predicted grade of a 9 dropped by 1 in this as well.

Physics Paper 1:
A very low grade 7 again.

Maths Calculator and Non Calculator Paper:
In the non-calculator paper I got around 56/80 which equates to a grade 8, and in the calculator paper I got around 43/80 (which sounds quite bad, I know) which is the equivalent of a grade 7. Overall, this meant my grade was a 7.

Drama:
We didn't do a mock in this because we were practicing for our actual GCSE devising performance (which was last Thursday). We had to create a performance from a given stimuli as well as submit 20 pages of coursework. Our audience told us that our performance was very clear and good, which I'm happy about! It was a bit unfortunate because our performance lasted 25 minutes, overtime by 10 minutes, but hopefully they won't stop marking at exactly 15 minutes, which would be really bad since everything came to a climax in the last ten minutes.
Reply 13
Original post by Obviously.Rachel
Best of luck! If you need any help with English Literature then feel free to message me, or check out some of my A* sample answers on my profile :smile: I hope you achieve the grades!

Thank you for offering help, that will be very useful!
Reply 14
Original post by clouddbubbles
thanks!!
i’m in year 10 :smile:

Nice, good luck with exams!
Reply 15
Original post by Sam.T.
I take 12 GCSE’s, starting from year 9.

Cool!
Reply 16
So, long time no see people. I've spent my mini-hiatus from TSR... Procrastinating. Yes, I was planning to revise. No, I somehow didn't manage to. But today I've finally done some work! Made flashcards for all the equations in chemistry - which willl be verrrrrrry helpful guys - and sorted out my pastpapers into folders (totally not a way of procrastination.) And now, I'm gonna do a bit more on chemistry and do a past paper. Yay for work!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending