The Student Room Group

Sfe help

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could give me some clarification to SFE
I am currently undergoing my second year part time ba honours with the OU. I am in the second year and once this has been completed will equate to the first year of soon full time. I am looking to attend my local uni in sept 2018 to complete my remaining 2 Years full time at the bricks and mortar uni. How would this affect my finance application? Would I still be entitled to full funding as I’m not doing a new course just doing a credit transfer to a different uni? My circumstances won’t have changed (LP with 2 deps and working pt) but just worried that student finance would only pay for Part funding even though it’s the same course and going towards the same degree??

Any help would be much appreciated
Thank you
Original post by Taylorlh91
Hello,

I am currently undergoing my second year part time ba honours with the OU. I am in the second year and once this has been completed will equate to the first year of soon full time. I am looking to attend my local uni in sept 2018 to complete my remaining 2 Years full time at the bricks and mortar uni. How would this affect my finance application? Would I still be entitled to full funding as I’m not doing a new course just doing a credit transfer to a different uni? My circumstances won’t have changed (LP with 2 deps and working pt) but just worried that student finance would only pay for Part funding even though it’s the same course and going towards the same degree??

Thank you

Hi Taylorh91,

Can I clarify some information with you firstly, you will have 2 years of previous study at part time ? Will you gain a qualification for the 2 years of part time study or do you hold any other qualification?

And the full time course that you will be wishing to study in September 18 would you be entering directly into 2nd year or year 1 of the course?

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi Taylorh91,

Can I clarify some information with you firstly, you will have 2 years of previous study at part time ? Will you gain a qualification for the 2 years of part time study or do you hold any other qualification?

And the full time course that you will be wishing to study in September 18 would you be entering directly into 2nd year or year 1 of the course?

Thanks

Louise

So I’ll be going into the second year as it’s the same course just transferring University. With the OU I gained 120 credits and will be using this towards the transfer and the uni have accepted this is entry requirements into 2nd year
I’ll have a Cert of HE from OU to go towards the new uni I’m transferring too
Thanks
So I’ll be going into the second year as it’s the same course just transferring University. With the OU I gained 120 credits and will be using this towards the transfer and the uni have accepted this is entry requirements into 2nd year
I’ll have a Cert of HE from OU to go towards the new uni I’m transferring too
Thanks

Hi Taylorh91,

If you have completed 2 years of previous study at part time and have gained a CertHE. Student Finance would use this to calculate your future entitlement to full time support.
The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study .
So based on the information you have provided you would expect to have 2 years full support remaining to complete your course , for full time courses you would be eligible for Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and any supplementary grants.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 4
Ah brilliant! Thank you!

Re grants where is the best website to find info on these? As gob website offered minimal info!
Thanks
Hello,

Thank you

Hi Taylorlh91,

If changing mode of study from Part Time (PT) to Full Time (FT) your time spent on the PT course is not counted if a qualification was not gained, therefore you would be entitled to receive full financial support.

You would apply as a new FT student for the relevant Academic Year.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 6
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Taylorlh91,

If changing mode of study from Part Time (PT) to Full Time (FT) your time spent on the PT course is not counted if a qualification was not gained, therefore you would be entitled to receive full financial support.

You would apply as a new FT student for the relevant Academic Year.

Regards,

Stuart

Oh ok, so because i used sf for 2 Years part time then transferring to a full time student the two years would be ‘written off’ in terms of entitlement? So I’ll be entitled to 4 Years worth of finance like everyone else?!
Oh ok, so because i used sf for 2 Years part time then transferring to a full time student the two years would be ‘written off’ in terms of entitlement? So I’ll be entitled to 4 Years worth of finance like everyone else?!

Hi Taylor,

I've replied to your question in another thread before seeing this one, my apologies.

That is correct though, if you didn't gain the qualification on the part-time course, then go on to study a full time course, the part-time years you studied won't be taken into account so you can apply for full funding from year 1.

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending