The Student Room Group

TSR Book Club: Animal Farm

This poll is closed

What book would you like to read for the fourth session?

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky 50%
Lord of the Flies - William Golding 29%
The Great Gatsby Novel - F. Scott Fitzgerald 21%
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes 0%
Other (please specify)0%
Total votes: 14
Morning all, and welcome to the third session of the TSR Book Club!

This time around, we're reading Animal Farm by George Orwell. There's also a poll in this thread to decide the book for us to read next time so please vote in that, or suggest a different book if you'd like! For this session you have two weeks to read the book and reply with your thoughts.

If you're including spoilers in your review, then please put them in - you guessed it - a spoiler. Please try and get your replies in before the 20/01/18 so we have time to chat about the current book before the next session starts.

You can feedback on each book however you'd like, but here are some starter questions if you're stuck:

- What did you think of the book overall?
- What did you like about it?
- What did you dislike about it?
- Did it remind you of another author or series?
- Would you recommend it to a friend?

The one thing I'm asking everyone to do is to rate the book out of 5, with half points if needed. Please do include a rating, so each book can be given an average rating, and we can get a Book Club Leaderboard going.

If you have any questions, book suggestions, or just fancy chatting about this, then feel free to tag me in and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. We'll also be running the occasional themed week, so if you have an idea for that then post in any of the Book Club threads, or drop me a PM if you'd prefer! :biggrin:

Quote List

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've already read this so will get round to posting the review some time this week :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nyxnko_
I've already read this so will get round to posting the review some time this week :smile:

Too ninja for us! Amazing stuff, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 3
:ninja: PRSOM
(edited 6 years ago)
Yay another one I've read. Look8ng forward to giving it a review (this might get political:hide:)
Original post by 04MR17
Yay another one I've read. Look8ng forward to giving it a review (this might get political:hide:)

You may need to input on the next book to try and find one you haven't read then :tongue:
Original post by shadowdweller
You may need to input on the next book to try and find one you haven't read then :tongue:
No because that means I'll have to read something and I currently have a phobia of reading thanks to uni.:afraid:

Will have to pass on this book Shadow - exams :frown:
But if we do read perks of being a wallflower, I am halfway through it (but in french) so this can encourage me to finish it :ahee:
I didn't know this was a thing! :shock:

This book is actually on my to-read list so I'd like to join in please! :h:
Original post by sinfonietta
I didn't know this was a thing! :shock:

This book is actually on my to-read list so I'd like to join in please! :h:

Will add you to the quote list now! :woo:
Will add you to the quote list now! :woo:

Thank you! :biggrin:

Time to go download this to my Kindle. Only £2.39 for anyone wondering!
I read Animal Farm on the 11th.

I did not like it at all. I will give it a rating of 2/5, having deducted 3 points for the lack of enjoyment.

No, it was not a bad book by any means. I liked the subtle references to communist leaders and such. It was quite a clever book as well. However, when I read a book, whether I enjoy reading it or not is often more important of a factor to me than whether it sends a message or not. I understood the message and the book infuriated me (which is most likely the feeling George Orwell meant to instigate), but I could not help disliking this book due to the pigs. :erm:

I would not recommend it, purely because I like to read for entertainment and enjoyment and I found no such thing in Animal Farm.
I love George Orwell! May I join in?
Reply 13
It's an allegorical novella about Stalinism by George Orwell and, spoiler alert, it sucks.
Original post by math42
It's an allegorical novella about Stalinism by George Orwell and, spoiler alert, it sucks.

:eek:

I loved it! Finished it on the 9th and keep meaning to write down my thoughts on it.
Reply 15
Original post by sinfonietta
:eek:

I loved it! Finished it on the 9th and keep meaning to write down my thoughts on it.

I also liked it. [video="youtube;bfQJp8RgzHY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfQJp8RgzHY[/video]
x

Is that not a much too great effort just to talk about a book? I just know the storyline, so I guess I am not be made for a discussion? will vote for the great Gatsby. The only book I have read from the named above.
Original post by Kallisto
Is that not a much too great effort just to talk about a book? I just know the storyline, so I guess I am not be made for a discussion? will vote for the great Gatsby. The only book I have read from the named above.

Interesting choice :gah: I myself voted for The Perks of Being a Wallflower purely because I have already read The Great Gatsby and Lord of the Flies while Me Before You did not really sound like something I would be interested in. :lol:
Original post by Michiyo
Interesting choice :gah: I myself voted for The Perks of Being a Wallflower purely because I have already read The Great Gatsby and Lord of the Flies while Me Before You did not really sound like something I would be interested in. :lol:

Just see other suggestions by voting others would also be possible. Now it is too late, as I have choosen. Do you think The catcher in the Rye is a good alternative? That is my second choice.
It was alright but I am glad I don't have to write about it again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending