The Student Room Group

Is Further Maths A-Level considered as one subject?

In Sixth Form I would like to take Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths and Psychology but I heard online that Further Maths is considered 2 subjects so therefore I could only choose three subjects e.g. Chem, Bio, Further Maths ..
Ah.

Further Maths and Maths in this day and age are considered separate subjects by almost all unis and all courses. The only instance where this doesn't always hold true is a select amount of Medical Schools, however even this is being phased out gradually.
Further Maths requires Maths so you can't drop normal Maths, only Further Maths.
Yeah it is 2 subjects. 2 subjects worth of workload and 2 A-level qualifications at the end, one in maths, one in further maths. If you take all those subjects (5) you will either want to die, somehow cope but with no social life or just be a perfect, flawless, super organised genius 100% of the time.
Just do Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chem. Psychology is a useless pseudoscience.
Reply 5
Original post by TheTree0fDeath
Yeah it is 2 subjects. 2 subjects worth of workload and 2 A-level qualifications at the end, one in maths, one in further maths. If you take all those subjects (5) you will either want to die, somehow cope but with no social life or just be a perfect, flawless, super organised genius 100% of the time.

LMAO I have no intention of taking 5, is that even allowed? I
Original post by Kiko M
LMAO I have no intention of taking 5, is that even allowed? I

Then you have to drop a subject since Further Maths can't be taken without Maths, ever.
You can't do Further Maths without Maths, it doesn't make sense. How can you learn the further material when you aren't learning the more 'basic' material? It's like trying to build a house without a foundation.
I mean it is technically allowed but your college might not let you for timetable reasons.

Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Further Maths would be 5 subjects in terms of workload and qualifications.

Be aware some sixth forms do make Further Maths people take 5 subjects in the first year but that’s because those places are very prestigious and also evil.
Reply 9
Original post by DarthRoar
You can't do Further Maths without Maths, it doesn't make sense. How can you learn the further material when you aren't learning the more 'basic' material? It's like trying to build a house without a foundation.

Aw dammit
I thought if you got high GCSE grades then you could just take further maths as one subject ;-;
Original post by Kiko M
I thought if you got high GCSE grades then you could just take further maths as one subject ;-;

It's often timetabled as one option (plus a couple of lessons) but it is 2 A levels.
Original post by Kiko M
In Sixth Form I would like to take Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths and Psychology but I heard online that Further Maths is considered 2 subjects so therefore I could only choose three subjects e.g. Chem, Bio, Further Maths ..

Maths abd further maths are both single A-Levels, 6 exams for both over the 2 years. Seems odd that you would do further maths and not maths however..?
Original post by Kiko M
Aw dammit

Ha no sadly not. No matter how good you are at GCSE, the A-level maths course introduces lots of new concepts that you probably won’t have covered eg; differentiation, Integration, logarithms and exponentials and then like new ideas surrounding trig such as cast diagrams. Without studying maths you will find the new alevel further maths course very hard and so much of the core maths is needed in further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest