The Student Room Group

Education Studies Reading List

Hi everyone!
I will hopefully be studying Psychology and Education next year at university and was wondering if anyone could suggest any books on Education I could read beforehand? I have read quite a few Psychology books but couldn't find much on Education.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by YellowSpudmarine
Hi everyone!
I will hopefully be studying Psychology and Education next year at university and was wondering if anyone could suggest any books on Education I could read beforehand? I have read quite a few Psychology books but couldn't find much on Education.
Thanks in advance!
typing Ken Robinson into youtube is probably the most interesting place to start.:wink:

An Introduction to the Study of Education, by David Matheson and Ian Grosvenor might be another thing to think about. The preface, chapters 1, 2, 13 and 9 may be of most use to you. Most of the rest is more on the sociological (and historical) aspects.:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
typing Ken Robinson into youtube is probably the most interesting place to start.:wink:

An Introduction to the Study of Education, by David Matheson and Ian Grosvenor might be another thing to think about. The preface, chapters 1, 2, 13 and 9 may be of most use to you. Most of the rest is more on the sociological (and historical) aspects.:smile:

Thank you! To be honest Ken Robinson's TED talk was one of the things that inspired me to apply for the course (not the main thing but one of many). I'm limited to a school library but I'll have a look there for the books. Thanks again!
Thank you! To be honest Ken Robinson's TED talk was one of the things that inspired me to apply for the course (not the main thing but one of many). I'm limited to a school library but I'll have a look there for the books. Thanks again!
Try your local council's library service too,:yep: I doubt you'll find it in a school library but I'm quite a cyncial person.:smile:

And yes gotta love Ken.:love: I watch his TED talks (plural:tongue:) sometimes when I'm feeling down.:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Try your local council's library service too,:yep: I doubt you'll find it in a school library but I'm quite a cyncial person.:smile:

And yes gotta love Ken.:love: I watch his TED talks (plural:tongue:) sometimes when I'm feeling down.:smile:

I've only seen 2 of his tbh. The creativity one and the death valley one. Not only is he smart but also hilarious
I've only seen 2 of his tbh. The creativity one and the death valley one. Not only is he smart but also hilarious
Very similar ideas, but there's plenty of him on youtube:smile:

Original post by 04MR17
Very similar ideas, but there's plenty of him on youtube:smile:

Thank you so much!
Hi everyone!
Thanks in advance!

Hi @YellowSpudmarine :hello: (Fantastic name by the way!!)

At the start of my Undergraduate Education degree we were given a copy of 'An introduction to Education Studies' by Bartlett and Burton. I found it to be a key text and a great book for first year. Here is a link to it on Amazon... have a little look at the contents and see what you think. I'm sure the library of the university you are going too will have a few copies of it if you wanted to save some money, I know books can be pretty expensive when you have a number of them to get.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Education-Studies-Bartlett-2012-04-04/dp/B01FIY3KCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517574848&sr=8-2&keywords=bartlett+and+burton&dpID=51CAhekRnwL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Hope this helps :smile:
Ruth
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi @YellowSpudmarine :hello: (Fantastic name by the way!!)

At the start of my Undergraduate Education degree we were given a copy of 'An introduction to Education Studies' by Bartlett and Burton. I found it to be a key text and a great book for first year. Here is a link to it on Amazon... have a little look at the contents and see what you think. I'm sure the library of the university you are going too will have a few copies of it if you wanted to save some money, I know books can be pretty expensive when you have a number of them to get.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Education-Studies-Bartlett-2012-04-04/dp/B01FIY3KCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517574848&sr=8-2&keywords=bartlett+and+burton&dpID=51CAhekRnwL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Hope this helps :smile:
Ruth

Thank you! I'll have a look
Hey, you might be also interested in getting a basic overview of the main protagonists in education. For that try looking into Fifty Major Thinkers on Education: From Confucius to Dewey :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest