The Student Room Group

Anyone homeschooling for their GCSEs/IGCSEs?

I was wondering if anyone was being homeschooled, like me, for their GCSEs/IGCSEs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me!
i was homeschooled for yr7+8, did ACE curriculum
Original post by esrever
Me!

That's cool! How many subjects are you doing and what year are you in? I'm in Year 10 and I'm studying 9.5 (half RS).

Original post by rebeccahurstt
i was homeschooled for yr7+8, did ACE curriculum

Same, I was also homeschooled in Year 8. What's the ACE curriculum?
Original post by thesmithscure
That's cool! How many subjects are you doing and what year are you in? I'm in Year 10 and I'm studying 9.5 (half RS).

Accelerated Christian Education, it was an american curriculum
Reply 5

I'm doing 7 subjects even though I may do 2 more this November. I'm doing IGCSE and I'm in year 10 too.
I'm homeschooling for my IGCSEs! I am currently in year 10 and I am doing 7 subjects, Extended Maths, English Language, Spanish, History, Geography, Biology, and Chemistry. I've been homeschooling basically my whole life, tbh i don't really know anything besides it. I've tried a few schools but I never seem to really fit in.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm in year 11 and I'm homeschooling myself due to illness, my grades have gone up and I'm predicted 8 A*'s 1 A and 2 B, which is much better than I was getting in school.
Original post by RubyBlu
I'm homeschooling for my IGCSEs! I am currently in year 10 and I am doing 7 subjects, Extended Maths, English Language, Spanish, History, Geography, Biology, and Chemistry. I've been homeschooling basically my whole life, tbh i don't really know anything besides it. I've tried a few schools but I never seem to really fit in.

Sorry I haven't checked this thread for a while! Wow, do you go to a homeschooling group or do you stay at home for most of the week? :smile:
Original post by alicewarren
I'm in year 11 and I'm homeschooling myself due to illness, my grades have gone up and I'm predicted 8 A*'s 1 A and 2 B, which is much better than I was getting in school.

Those are seriously amazing grades!! Do you plan on going to sixth form or do you think you'll continue homeschooling up until uni?
Original post by esrever
I'm doing 7 subjects even though I may do 2 more this November. I'm doing IGCSE and I'm in year 10 too.

Sorry I haven't been on this thread in ages!! How's Year 11 been for you so far as a homeschooler? :smile: And do you want to go to sixthform or do you want to keep homeschooling until uni?
Reply 11
I'm doing online school for my 7/8 iGCSEs; there's a lot of self-study involved
Original post by myi
I'm doing online school for my 7/8 iGCSEs; there's a lot of self-study involved

That's really cool, did you used to go to school before or have you always done online schooling? oh and what year are you in :smile:
Reply 13
That's really cool, did you used to go to school before or have you always done online schooling? oh and what year are you in :smile:

Thanks, I find it personally gets a bit monotonous, though... I'm Year 10 and I've been doing online school since Year 8. I'm planning to go a mainstream Sixth.
Original post by myi
Thanks, I find it personally gets a bit monotonous, though... I'm Year 10 and I've been doing online school since Year 8. I'm planning to go a mainstream Sixth.

I get what you mean, self studying can be very tedious at times! But at least you have a unique selling point in the future for sixthform, and uni. Not many people have independent studying skills like homeschoolers/online schoolers so apparently it's a huge selling point during interviews :smile: I hope to go to a mainstream sixth too, I've been applying a lot recently and I'm just hoping for the best lol. Do you think you'll go to a college or a sixth form?
Reply 15
I get what you mean, self studying can be very tedious at times! But at least you have a unique selling point in the future for sixthform, and uni. Not many people have independent studying skills like homeschoolers/online schoolers so apparently it's a huge selling point during interviews :smile: I hope to go to a mainstream sixth too, I've been applying a lot recently and I'm just hoping for the best lol. Do you think you'll go to a college or a sixth form?

Is that so? Well that's reassuring to know :smile: I'm personally hoping to get into a college, but I think I'm going to have to wait and see. If my circumstance changes enough I might end up doing IB instead of A-Levels so it's pretty uncertain right now. What subjects are you applying for?
Original post by myi
Is that so? Well that's reassuring to know :smile: I'm personally hoping to get into a college, but I think I'm going to have to wait and see. If my circumstance changes enough I might end up doing IB instead of A-Levels so it's pretty uncertain right now. What subjects are you applying for?

IB? Oh so you might move abroad in the future? I'm applying for biology, chemistry and politics :smile: Which subjects do you think you might apply for in the future?
I feel like our years of self studying will help us a lot to cope with the work load at sixth form, considering we'll be taught by actual teachers instead of ourselves lol. Who knows, maybe sixth form will feel even easier than GCSEs for you! :smile:
Sorry I haven't been on this thread in ages!! How's Year 11 been for you so far as a homeschooler? :smile: And do you want to go to sixthform or do you want to keep homeschooling until uni?

I'm homeschooling. I had been doing extracurriculars till now. Going to start AS level studies next month.
Sorry I haven't checked this thread for a while! Wow, do you go to a homeschooling group or do you stay at home for most of the week? :smile:

I stay at home all week. I used an online course that is really helpful. However, I do want to go to some homeschooling groups, but I can't seem to really find any where I'm living.
Original post by myi

I agree. It is quite boring. I also do miss not being able to go out anywhere with any friends. However, the people at the school I was previously going to just weren't the kind of people who I would hang out with. be friends with anyway. I'm also in year 10 and home studying my IGCSEs. However, I think, if possible, I'm definitely going to go to a college for my A-levels because I've been doing homeschool for pretty much my whole life so it's getting kinda dull and also I want to get the best possible grades for my A levels. Which online course do you use?

Quick Reply

Latest