The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Durham vs Exeter

Thanks in advanced.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
I thought you just looked at the league tables?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which campus/location do you prefer? They are very different ...

Personally I think Exeter, Warwick, Durham [too cold up North for me] - go and visit the places to see them.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Which campus/location do you prefer? They are very different ...

Personally I think Exeter, Warwick, Durham [too cold up North for me] - go and visit the places to see them.

Is that purely just on location basis? Instead of reputation and job basis in the future?
Job basis and reputation go to Warwick.
Want the Durham experience go to Durham.
Can't get into Durham or Warwick, go to Exeter.

In order of living tho:
Exeter
Durham
Warwick

All 3 are solid unis tbh, but at Warwick the banks are here daily some weeks (not even joking).
I think Durham is lagging behind now, but of a has been.
Exeter is solid but not spectacular, your gonna have to work for it (but you will at any uni).
(edited 6 years ago)
Business Management at Durham has always been amongst its worst courses. Offers used to be ABB when it was at Queen's. Now it's moved back to City, and it's calling for AAA -- but this is more aspirational from them. I don't see its course improving significantly in a matter of a year simply because it's moved locations.

The three are about the same. I would much rather live in Durham (which is a shithole, I admit) than the utter shithouse Warwick. Exeter's alright apart from all the homeless.
Original post by whydoidothis?
Job basis and reputation go to Warwick.
Want the Durham experience go to Durham.
Can't get into Durham or Warwick, go to Exeter.

See my post. You're off ya rocker.

Durham's business courses have traditionally been terrible with low entry. If you look at average entry, Durham's is noticeably below Exeter's. The notion that Durham is more competitive for business management than Exeter shows complete lack of awareness of the subject matter.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
See my post. You're off ya rocker.

Durham's business courses have traditionally been terrible with low entry. If you look at average entry, Durham's is noticeably below Exeter's. The notion that Durham is more competitive for business management than Exeter shows complete lack of awareness of the subject matter.

Durham has a better reputation than exeter as a Uni. Period.

Thats all that matters.
Original post by whydoidothis?
Durham has a better reputation than exeter as a Uni. Period.

Thats all that matters.

Well, you were talking about "getting in" as if getting into Exeter is easier than getting into Durham. It's the other way round, or at least it historically has been. Out of the three, Exeter has the better grad prospects: seems uni brand as a whole is not all that matters.

No one actually considers university reputation as a whole, other than pre-applicants looking to impress their other naive friends.
That should be the overarching consideration. Is it somewhere suitably close to home, is the city nice (nice aesthetic, have basic amenities and decent selection of shops, colleges/halls commutable from accom), is the accommodation nice/affordable, sports clubs/socs. Do they have any scholarships you might be eligible for.

All these things. Do not base a decision on what someone who hasn't even done their A-Levels thinks your grad prospects will be: they're gonna be about the same from all three.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Well, you were talking about "getting in" as if getting into Exeter is easier than getting into Durham. It's the other way round, or at least it historically has been. Out of the three, Exeter has the better grad prospects: seems uni brand as a whole is not all that matters.

No one actually considers university reputation as a whole, other than pre-applicants looking to impress their other naive friends.

How does exeter have the better grad prospects?
(edited 3 years ago)
Says on CUG.

What is the offer? IB?
No, Exeter on all counts then Warwick - Durham third.
No, Exeter on all counts then Warwick - Durham third.

And what did you base that on?

Where do you study or studied?
Yeah, that's a quirk of Access. As I recall, Durham treats Access from AAB+ as 30 at distinction. This means that AAB, AAA, A*AA, A*A*A offers are treated as equivalent to 30 distinctions. Plainly, Access does not neatly correspond to A-Level even though it has recently become tariffed. Exeter doesn't really understand Access and gives offers out at 12 or 21 distinctions, even though places like. Liverpool, which is ABB for law, is 45 distinctions for Access. Like I said, a quirk.

And my mistake earlier, Durham's business course is AAB rather than AAA. Exeter's is AAB-AAA.
I'm a teacher and I'm basing this on ex-students and what they are doing now after uni.

However, it is YOUR decision and you do need to visit to make sure you will be happy.
So you may as well capitalise on that and take the more accommodating offer, especially as you won't have an idea yet what grades you'll come out with overall. I think that's why Exeter offers so low for Access -- they understand it's an unusual qualification in which everything could wrong if you have just one bad week.
None of them are going to give you significantly better job prospects nationally because they're all good. But, Warwick has the strongest Business School and has the best brand in IB which you may or may not want to pursue.
I'm a teacher and I'm basing this on ex-students and what they are doing now after uni.

However, it is YOUR decision and you do need to visit to make sure you will be happy.

And let's be real, you went to Exeter as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending